Week 3: Agenda Setting in the Outpatient Visit
- Explain the importance of effective agenda-setting in the outpatient clinic
- Identify potential barriers to effective agenda-setting
- Demonstrate effective agenda-setting using the exhaustive “What else?” and negotiation of priorities at the outset of the encounter
- Indicate in case presentations that they have performed effective agenda-setting
Jeff Stein, MD
- Baker LH, O’Connell D, Platt FW. Setting the agenda for the clinical interview. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2005;143(10): 766-70. http://www.annals.org/cgi/reprint/143/10/766.pdf
- 5-step patient-centered interviewing. Adapted from: Fortin AH 6th, Dwamena FC, Frankel RM, Smith RC. Smith's Patient Centered Interviewing: An Evidence-based Method. 3rd ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2012.