November 2013 Accomplishments
1. Matt Bizzarro received the Best Poster Award recognition at the Annual Leadership Meeting of the Children's Hospital Association.
2. First Place Poster Award: Jastreboff AM; Arora J; Giannini C; Van Name M; Kubat J; Duran EJ; Pierpont B; Constable RT; Sherwin R; Sinha R; Caprio S. Altered Brain Sensing of Glucose and Fructose Ingestion in Obese Adolescents. Yale Multi-Disciplinary Endocrinology & Metabolism Retreat, New Haven, CT.
3. Jastreboff AM; Arora J; Giannini C; Van Name MA; Malik S; Kubat J; Duran EJ; Pierpont B; Constable RT; Sherwin R; Sinha R; Caprio S. Altered Brain Sensing of Glucose and Fructose Ingestion in Obese Adolescents. Abstract poster presentation at The Obesity Society annual meeting, November 2013, Atlanta, GA "Trends in Insulin Pump Therapy" - Diabetes Technology Society Annual Scientific Meeting, Burlingame, CA.
4. Myron Genel was appointed to the Connecticut General Assembly's Children's Mental Health Task Force.
5. Stuart Weinzimer was named Associate Editor of the journal Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics.
6. William Graf was appointed chair of the Child Neurology Society (CNS) Ethics Committee, and CNS liaison to the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) Ethic, Law, and Humanities Committee.
7. Rick Shiffman was appointed to the Editorial Board for the National Guideline Clearinghouse (NGC) and the National Quality Measures Clearinghouse (NQMC). He was also appointed as a Member of the Executive Committee, American Academy of Pediatrics Council on Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (COQIPS) and Chair of the Evidence Subcommittee. He serves on a Subcommittee at the Academy that is developing a clinical practice guideline for ALTEs.
8. Naila Makhani was the recipient of a Young Investigator Travel Award at the European Congress for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis held in Copenhagen (October 2-5).
1. Gene Shapiro was awarded the 2014 Stanley Plotkin Vaccinology Award/JDRF International.
2. Cengiz, Eda Acceleration of Insulin Action by Hyaluronidase during Closed-Loop Therapy $366,638.00 per year. 9/1/2013-9/1/2015
3. Cengiz, Eda Helmsley Foundation Type 1 Diabetes Exchange Program Metformin Therapy for Overweight Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes $60,750.00 per year. 1/1/2014-10/1/2016.
1. Hebson CL; McCabe NM; Elder RW; Mahle WT; McConnell M; Kogon BE et al. Hemodynamic Phenotype of the Failing Fontan in an Adult Population. The American Journal of Cardiology. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2013.08.023. 2013.
2. Jastreboff AM. Linking an Obesity-Associated Gene Variant, Ghrelin, and the Brain. Science Translational Medicine. Vol. 5, Issue 196, p. 196ec124. July 2013. DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3007044.
3. Jastreboff AM. BAT Burns Fat? Cool. Science Translational Medicine. Vol. 5, Issue 202, p. 202ec148. September 2013. DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3007485.
4. Colson E; Willinger M; Rybin D; Heeren T; Smith L; Lister G; Corwin M. Trends and Factors Associated With Infant Bed Sharing, 1993-2010. The National Infant Sleep Position Study. JAMA Pediatrics.
5. Beslow LA; Ichord RN; Gindville MC; Kleinman JT; Engelmann K; Bastian RA; Licht DJ; Smith SE; Hillis AE; Jordan LC. The Pediatric Intracerebral Hemorrhage Score: A Simple Grading Scale for Intracerebral Hemorrhage in Children. Stroke. In press.
6. Jastreboff, AM. Oxytocin Curbs Cookie Consumption. Science Translational Medicine. October 23, 2013: Vol. 5, Issue 208, p. 208ec173.
7. Kandil SB; Spear D; Thomas NJ; Weinzimer SA; Faustino VS. Retrospective Outcomes of Glucose Control in Critically Ill Children. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2013;7(5): 1220-8.
8. Buckingham B; Beck RW; Ruedy KJ; Cheng P; Kollman C; Weinzimer SA; Dimeglio LA; Bremer AA; Slover R; Tamborlane WV. Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet) and Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Study Groups. Effectiveness of Early Intensive Therapy on β-cell Preservation in Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2013 Oct 15 [Epub ahead of print].
9. Barnea-Goraly N; Weinzimer SA; Ruedy KJ; Mauras N; Beck RW; Marzelli MJ; Mazaika PK; Aye T; White NH; Tsalikian E; Fox L; Kollman C; Cheng P; Reiss AL. On behalf of the Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet). High Success Rates of Sedation-free Brain MRI Scanning in Young Children Using Simple Subject Preparation Protocols with and without a Commercial Mock Scanner. The Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet) experience. Pediatr Radiol. 2013 Oct 6 [Epub ahead of print].
10. Sherr JL; Palau-Collazo MM; Cengiz E; Michaud C; Carria L; Steffen AT; Weyman K; Zgorski M; Tichy E; Tamborlane WV; Weinzimer SA. Safety of Nighttime Two-Hour Suspension of Basal Insulin in Pump-treated Type 1 Diabetes Even in the Absence of Low Glucose. Diabetes Care 2013; in press.
11. Giannini C; Man CD; Groop L; Cobelli C; Zhao H; Shaw MM; Duran E; Pierpont B; Bale AE; Caprio S; Santoro N. The Co-Occurrence of Risk Alleles in or Near Genes Modulating Insulin Secretion Predisposes Obese Youth to Prediabetes. Diabetes Care. In press.
12. Tuomi T; Santoro N; Caprio S; Cai M; Weng J; Groop L. The Many Faces of Diabetes: A Disease with Increasing Heterogeneity. The Lancet. In press.
13. Marzelli MJ; Mazaika PK; Barnea-Goraly N; Hershey T; Tsalikian E; Tamborlane W; Mauras N; White NH; Buckingham B; Beck RW; Ruedy KJ; Kollman C; Cheng P; Reiss AL. Neuroanatomical Correlates of Dysglycemia in Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. For the Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet). Diabetes. 2013 Oct 29. [Epub ahead of print].
14. Vigersky RA; Fitzner K; Leveinson J. For the Diabetes Working Group (Tamborlane, et al.). Barriers and Potential Solutions to Providing Optimal Guideline-Driven Care to Patients with Diabetes Mellitus in the United States. Diabetes Care. 2013; 36:3843-3849.|
15. Tamborlane WV, Sherr JL. Diabetes: Insulin Pumps in Children with T1DM- We Told You So. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2013; 9(11): 629-30. PMID:24080733.
16. Sherr JL; Collazo MP; Cengiz E; Michaud C; Carria L; Steffen AT; Weyman K; Tichy E; Tamborlane WV; Weinzimer SA. Safety of Nighttime 2-Hour Suspension of Basal Insulin in Pump Treated Type 1 Diabetes Even in the Absence of Low Glucose. Diabetes Care 2013 Oct 29 [Epubahead of print]. PMID: 24170766.
17. Badaru A; Klingensmith G.; Dabelea D.; Mayer-Davis EJ; Dolan L; Lawrence JM; Marcovina S; Beavers D; Rodriguez BL; Imperatore G; Pihoker C. Correlates of Treatment Patterns among Youth with Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. Published ahead of print September 11, 2013.