Eve R Colson MD, MHPE, FAAP
Professor of Pediatrics (General Pediatrics)
Health-related Behaviors; SIDS; Smoking; Safe sleep in infants; Education; Qualitative research; International student education
Medical Education and Curriculum Development. Sponsored by the Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation.
Infant Morbidity and Mortality. Safe Infant Sleep. Sponsored by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
Dr. Colson's research interest is in education. She has advanced training in medical education and is involved in curriculum development at Yale School of Medicine.
Dr. Colson is also interested in health behavior and education as it relates to patients with a particular focus on infant morbidity and mortality.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Colson has integrated clinical research initiatives into the activities of the Well Newborn Unit ; her research has focused on key issues in infant-maternal interaction in the post-partum period such as infant sleep position and maternal smoking cessation. She is Principal Investigator of a multi-site NIH grant focusing on SIDS. In that capacity, she was asked by NIH to consult on a new national initiative to decrease the risk of SIDS.
Dr. Colson is also a Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation Faculty Scholar. In that capacity she develops, implements and studies unique approaches to medical education.
- Ali A, Vitulano L, Lee R, Weiss TR, Colson ER. Experience of patients identifying with chronic Lyme Disease in the healthcare system: a qualitative study. BMC Family Practice. 2014; 15: 79.
- Colson ER, Willinger M, Rybin D et al. Trends and factors associated with infant bedsharing, 1993-2010: The national infant sleep position study. JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 1032-7.
- Colson ER, Dreyer BP, Hanson JL, Tewksbury L, Johnson M, Flores G. Qualitative abstracts at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting: Are they less likely to be accepted for presentation. Acad Pediatr. 2013;13:140-144.
- Meharry P, Colson E, Grizas A, Stiller R, Vazquez M. Why women accept or reject the trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine (TIV) during pregnancy. Maternal Child Health Journal. 2013;17:156-64.
- Lister G, Rybin D, Colton T, Heeren TC, Hunt CE, Colson ER , Willinger M, Corwin MJ. The relationship between sleep position and risk of extreme cardiorespiratory events. Journal of Pediatrics. 2012;161:22-25.
- Von Kohorn I, Nguyen SN, Shulman-Green D, Colson ER. A qualitative study of postpartum mother’s intention to smoke. Birth. 2012; 39:65-69.
- Nguyen SN, Von Kohorn I, Shulman-Green D, Colson ER. The importance of social networks on smoking: Perspectives of women who quit smoking during pregnancy. Maternal Child Health Journal. 2012 Aug;16(6):1312-8.
- Bechtel K, Le K, Martin K, Shah N, Leventhal J, Colson, E. Impact of an educational intervention on caregivers’ beliefs about infant crying and knowledge of shaken baby syndrome. Academic Pediatrics. 2011; 11; 481-486.
- Von Kohorn I, Corwin MJ, Rybin DV, Heeren TC, Lister G, Colson, ER. Influence of prior advice and beliefs of mothers on infant sleep position. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. 2010;164:363-369.
- Colson ER, Rybin D, Smith LA, Colton T, Lister G, Corwin MJ. Trends and factors associated with infant sleeping position: The national infant sleep position study, 1993-2007. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. 2009;163:1122-28.