Adoption & Foster Care
- Moira Szilagyi, The Pediatrician and the Child in Foster Care. Pediatrics in Review. 1998;19:39-50.
- Carol Weitzman and Lisa Albers. Long-Term Developmental, Behavioral, and Attachment Outcomes After International Adoption. Pediatric Clinics of North America. Volume 52, Issue 5, October 2005, 1395-1419.
Assessment of Children
- Melvin Lewis and Robert A. King. Psychiatric Assessment of Infants, Children and Adolescents. In Lewis M (ed): Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: A Comprehensive Textbook. (3rd Edition) Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 2002. pp 525-543.
- Nancy E. Moss and Gary R. Racusin. Psychological Assessment of Children and Adolescents. In Lewis M (ed): Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: A Comprehensive Textbook. (3rd Edition) Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 2002. pp 555-572.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Joan M. Daughton, Christopher J. Kratochvil. Review of ADHD Pharmacotherapies: Advantages, Disadvantages, and Clinical Pearls. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 48:3, March 2009.
- A 14-month randomized clinical trial of treatment strategies for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. The MTA Cooperative Group. Multimodal Treatment Study of Children with ADHD. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999 Dec;56(12):1073-86.
- National Institute of Mental Health Multimodal Treatment Study of ADHD follow-up: 24-month outcomes of treatment strategies for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. The MTA Cooperative Group. Pediatrics. 2004 Apr;113(4):754-61.
- C. Keith Conners. Clinical Use of Rating Scales in Diagnosis & Treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Pediatric Clinics of North America. Vol 46, Issue 5 , 1 October 1999, Pages 857-70.
- Ronald T. Brown, Robert W. Amler, Wendy S. Freeman, James M. Perrin, et al. Treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Overview of the Evidence. Pediatrics 2005. 115:6 p. e749-757.
- Joseph Biedeman and Stephen V. Faraone. Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Lancet 2005. 366:9481 p. 237-48.
- Committee on Children with Disabilities. Technical Report: The Pediatrician's Role in the Diagnosis and Management of Autistic Spectrum Disorder in Children. Pediatrics. Vol. 107 No. 5, May 2001.
- PA Filipek, PJ Accardo, S Ashwal, GT Baranek, et al. Practice parameter: Screening and diagnosis of autism. Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the Child Neurology Society. Neurology 2000;55:468-79.
- Chris Plauché Johnson, Scott M. Myers and the Council on Children with Disabilities. Identification and Evaluation of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics. Vol. 120 No. 5, November 2007.
- Scott M. Myers, Chris Plauché Johnson and the Council on Children with Disabilities. Management of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics. Vol. 120 No. 5, November 2007.
Children's Understanding Illness
- David J. Schonfeld. The Child's Cognitive Understanding of Illness. In Lewis M (ed): Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: A Comprehensive Textbook. (3rd Edition) Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 2002. pp 1119-1123.
Children with Special Health Care Needs
- Patricia Purvis. The Public Laws for Education of the Disabled - The Pediatrician's Role. Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics. October 1991. 12(5) 327-39.
- Committee on Children with Disabilities. The Pediatrician's Role in Development and Implementation of an Individual Education Plane (IEP) and/or Individual Family Service Plane (IFSP). Pediatrics. July 1, 1999, Vol. 104, Issue 1.
Developmental Delay/Intellectual Disability
- Maria Moldavsky, Dorit Lev, and Tally Lerman-Sagie. Behavioral Phenotypes of Genetic Syndromes: A Reference Guide for Psychiatrists. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolescence. Psychiatry, 40:7, July 2001.
- Sarah H. Ailey. Beyond the disability: recognizing mental health issues among persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Nurs. Clin. N. Am. 38 (2003) 313–329.
- Jolanda C.H. Douma, Marielle C. Dekker, Karen P. De Ruiter, Frank C. Verhulst, and Hans M. Koot. Help-Seeking Process of Parents for Psychopathology in Youth With Moderate to Borderline Intellectual Disabilities. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 45:10, October 2006.
- Ludwik Szymanski, and Bryan H. King, and the Work Group on Quality Issues. Practice Parameters for the Assessment and Treatment of Children, Adolescents, and Adults with Mental Retardation and Comorbid Mental Disorders. 1999 AmericanAcademyOf Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Carl Feinstein, and Lovina Chahal. Psychiatric Phenotypes Associated with Neurogenetic Disorders. Psychiatr. Clin. N. Am. 32 (2009) 15–37.
- Joseph L. Calles, Jr. Use of Psychotropic Medications in Children with Developmental Disabilities. Pediatr. Clin. N. Am. 55 (2008) 1227–1240.
- M. Shevell, S. Ashwal, D. Donley, J. Flint, et al. Practice parameter: Evaluation of the child with global developmental delay. Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and The Practice Committee of the Child Neurology Society. Neurology 2003;60:367-380.
- Gehan Roberts, Judith Palfrey, and Carolyn Bridgemohan. The Medical Evaluation of a Child with Developmental Delay. Contemporary Pediatrics. March 2004;21-76.
- John B. Moeschler, Michael Shevell, & the Committee on Genetics. Clinical Genetic Evaluation of the Child With Mental Retardation or Developmental Delays. Pediatrics, Vol. 117, No. 6, 2006, pp. 2304-16.
- William Otis Walker and Chris Plauché Johnson. Mental Retardation: Overview & Diagnosis. Pediatric in Review. 2006;27:204-212.
- William Otis Walker and Chris Plauché Johnson. Mental Retardation: Management & Prognosis. Pediatric in Review. 2006;27:249-256.
- Michael Jellinek and J. Michael Murphy. Pediatric Symptom Checklist: A primary care screening tool to identify psychosocial problems. Article source: dbpeds.org.
- Lynne C. Huffman and Mary Nicols. Early Detection of Young Children's Mental Health Problems in Primary Care Settings. From: R. Del Carmen-Wiggins and A. Carter, 2004. Handbook of Infant, Toddler, & Preschool Mental Health Assessment. New York: Oxford Press. Pgs 467-489.
- Frances P. Glascoe and Henry L. Shapiro. Introduction to Developmental & Behavioral Screening. 2005. Article source: dbpeds.org.
- W.S. Gilliam, S.J. Meisels, and L.C. Mayes. 2005. Screening & Surveillance in Early Intervention Systems. In: M.J. Guralnick (Ed.), A Developmental Systems Approach to Early Intervention: National & International Perspectives. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes Publishing.
- Committee on Children with Disabilities. Developmental Surveillance and Screening of Infants and Young Children. Pediatrics, Jul 2001, Vol. 108 Issue 1, 192-96.
- Council on Children with Disabilities, Section on Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics, Bright Futures Steering Committee & Medical Home Initiatives for Children with Special Needs Project Advisory Committee. Identifying Infants & Young Children with Developmental Disorders in the Medical Home: An Algorithm for Developmental Surveillance & Screening. Pediatrics July 2006, Vol. 118 No. 1 pp. 405-20.
- Council on Children with Disabilities, Section on Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics, Bright Futures Steering Committee & Medical Home Initiatives for Children with Special Needs Project Advisory Committee. Identifying Infants & Young Children with Developmental Disorders in the Medical Home: An Algorithm for Developmental Surveillance and Screening. Pediatrics July 2006, Vol. 118 No. 1 pp. 405-20.
- Michael R. Lawless, Darby H. McElderry. Nocturnal Enuresis: Current Concepts. Pediatrics in Review. 2001. 22:399-407.
Schonfeld D and Quackenbush M. Teaching Kids About...How AIDS Works. A Curriculum for Grades K-3. Santa Cruz, ETR Associates, 1996.
- Activity 3: If You're Sick, Can I Get It?
- Activity 4: Getting Help When I Am Sick.
- Evaluation: How Illnesses are Different.
- Unit 2 - Different Ways to be Sick:
- Activity 1: What is a Germ?
- Activity 2: Seeing is Believing: Watching "Germs" Pass.
- Activity 3: Serious & Not-So-Serious Illnesses.
- Avni-Singer AJ, Leventhal JM: Hospitalization of children. in Parker S, Zuckerman B (eds) Behavioral and Developmental Pediatrics: A Handbook for Primary Care. Boston, Little Brown and Co, 1995, pp 18
- Jean-Francois Demonet, Margot J. Taylor, Yves Chaix. Developmental Dyslexia. 2004. 363:9419, p. 1451-60.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Tourette's syndrome
- Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections, Lee Hampton, MD, Yale Pediatric Residency, February 2008.
- Danette Glassy, Judith Romano and Committee on Early Childhood, Adoption, and Dependent Care. Selecting Appropriate Toys for Young Children: The Pediatrician's Role. Pediatrics. 2003. 111 p. 911-13.
- Kenneth R. Ginsburg, and the Committee on Communications and Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health. The Importance of Play in Promoting Healthy Child Development and Maintaining Strong Parent-Child Bonds. Pediatrics. 2006, in press.
- M. Cevdet Tosyali and Laurence L. Greenhill. Child & Adolescent Psychopharmacology: Important Developmental Issues. Pediatric Clinics of North America. Volume 45, Issue 5 , 1 October 1998, pp. 1021-35.
- Mary Margaret Gleason, Helen Link Egger, Graham J. Emslie, et. al., Psychopharmacological Treatment for Very Young Children: Contexts and Guidelines. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry. 2007; 46:12 pg. 1532
Sexual Abuse of Children
- Leventhal JM: Sexual abuse of children. in Hoekelman RA, Friedman SB, Nelson NM, Seidel HM, Weitzman ML. (eds) Primary Pediatric Care, 3rd Edition, St. Louis, Mo, Mosby, 1997, pp 651-656.
- Leventhal JM: Sexual abuse of children. in Hoekelman RA, Weitzman ML, Adams HM, Nelson NM, Wilson MH. (eds) Primary Pediatric Care, 4th Edition, St Louis, MO, Mosby, 2001, pp 728-734.
- Stephen J. Bavolek. The Nurturing Parenting Programs. In: Juvenile Justice Bulletin. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. United States Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs. 2000.
- Leventhal JM: Child maltreatment: Neglect to abuse. in Rudolf AM, Hoffman JIE, Rudolph CD, Siegel NJ, Lister G, Hostetter M. (eds) Rudolf's Pediatrics, 21st Edition, New York, McGraw-Hill, 2002, pp 463-470.
- Nancy Kellogg, MD and the Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect. The Evaluation of Sexual Abuse in Children. Pediatrics Vol. 116 No. 2 August 2005, pp. 506-512.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians & American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine. A Consensus Statement on Health Care Transitions for Young Adults With Special Health Care Needs. Pediatrics. Vol. 110 No. 6 December 2002, pp. 1304-1306.
- Edward L. Schor. Rethinking well-child care. Pediatrics 114 (1) (July 2004) p. 210-216.