Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1; Endocrinology; Insulin; Insulin Infusion Systems; Pediatrics; Pancreas, Artificial
My research focuses on the application of new technologies to the treatment of diabetes. As part of my collaborations within the Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet) and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Artificial Pancreas Project, I have been studying the safety, accuracy, and effectiveness of continuous glucose sensors to improve diabetes therapy, as well as investigating basic physiological questions of hypoglycemia counter-regulation. My main focus now is on the development of a so-called "artificial pancreas", in which an insulin pump automatically delivers the appropriate amount of insulin at any given time based upon receiving information from glucose sensor devices. I am also collaborating with several other pediatric endocrinologists and neuroimaging specialists to deterimne the effects of childhood diabetes on brain growth and function in children diagnosed with diabetes at a young age.
Specialized Terms: Insulin pump therapy; Continuous glucose sensors; Artificial pancreas
- Sherr JL, Cengiz E, Palerm CC, Clark B, Kurtz N, Roy A, Carria L, Cantwell M, Tamborlane WV, Weinzimer SA. Reduced hypoglycemia and increased time in target using closed-loop insulin delivery during nights with or without antecedent afternoon exercise in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2013; 36: 2909-14.
- Buckingham BA, Beck RW, Ruedy KJ, Cheng P, Kollman C, Weinzimer SA, DiMeglio LA, Bremer AA, Slover R, Cantwell M for the DirecNet and TrialNet Study Groups. The effects of inpatient hybrid closed-loop therapy initiated within 1 week of type 1 diabetes diagnosis. Diabetes Technol Ther 2013; 15: 401-408.
- Weinzimer SA, Sherr JL, Cengiz E, Kim G, Ruiz JL, Carria L, Voskanyan G, Roy A, Tamborlane WV. Effect of pramlintide on prandial glycemic excursions during closed-loop control in adolescents and young adults with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2012;35:1994-9.
- Ruiz JL, Sherr JL, Cengiz E, Carria L, Roy A, Voskanyan G, Tamborlane WV, Weinzimer SA. Effect of insulin feedback on closed-loop glucose control: a crossover feedback study. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2012; 6: 1123-1130.
- Mauras N, Beck R, Xing D, Ruedy K, Buckingham B, Tansey M, White NH, Weinzimer SA, Tamborlane W, Kollman C. A randomized clinical trial to assess the efficacy and safety of real-time continuous glucose monitoring in the management of type 1 diabetes in young children aged 4 to <10 years. Diabetes Care 2012; 35: 204-210.
- Tsalikian E, Fox L, Weinzimer SA, Buckingham B, White NH, Beck R, Kollman C, Xing D, Ruedy K. Feasibility of prolonged continuous glucose monitoring in toddlers with type 1 diabetes. Pediatric Diabetes 2012; 13: 294-300.
- The Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet) Study Group. Blunted counter-regulatory hormone responses to hypoglycemia in young children and adolescents with well-controlled type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2009; 32: 1954-9.
- Cengiz E, Swan KL, Tamborlane WV, Steil GM, Steffen AT, Weinzimer SA. Is an automatic pump suspension feature safe for children with type 1 diabetes? An exploratory analysis with a closed-loop system. Diabetes Technol Ther 2009; 11: 207-10.
- Weinzimer SA, Steil GM, Swan KL, Dziura J, Kurtz N, Tamborlane WV (May 2008) Fully automated closed-loop insulin delivery versus semiautomated hybrid control in pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes using an artificial pancreas., Diabetes care, 31(5)934-9
- JDRF CGM Study Group. Continuous glucose monitoring and intensive treatment of type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 359: 1464-76.