Healthy Eating Habits for the School Age Child With Diabetes
- Frequent meals/snacks are still required at this age. Kids should be eating at regular intervals, with 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day. Even patients on pump therapy benefit from eating at regular intervals.
- Try to incorporate a protein source at every meal/snack. Examples include; milk/dairy, meat, beans or nuts. This can promote more stable blood sugars.
- Increase the amount of fruits and vegetables your child is getting. Provide at least one serving of either a fruit or vegetable at every meal.
- Sugar-Free does not always meal healthy! It is more important that the foods/drinks you provide give proper nutrition. For example it is healthier to provide low fat milk as a beverage with lunch instead of a diet soda.
- Incorporate healthy eating habits for the whole family. Avoid “diabetic foods” and a “diabetic diet”. Healthy dietary habits are important to everyone!
- Be aware of “Hidden Carbs”:
- Ketchup: 4 grams/Tablespoon
- BBQ sauce: 6 grams/Tablespoon
- Teriyaki Sauce: 2 grams/Tablespoon
- Gravy: 18 grams/1/4 Cup
- Eating foods in the whole form typically will impact the blood sugar less. Eat whole fruits rather than juice, whole grains, brown rice, unprocessed oats.
Hard Boiled Eggs
Scrambled eggs made with 1 Tablespoon Cheddar Cheese
Deli meat (turkey/ham/roast beef) rolled with American Cheese Slices
Carrots/peppers/cucumbers sliced served with salad dressing as a dip
10-20 Grams Carb
½ Whole Wheat Bagel topped with 1 tablespoon peanut butter : 11 grams
Simply Gogurt yogurt: 13 grams
½ cup Cherrios with 1/3 cup lowfat milk: 14 grams
½ cup Lowfat Cottage Cheese with ½ large pear: 17 grams
7 Baked Tortilla Chips with 2 Tablespoons salsa: 14 grams
1 rice cake with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and ½ banana: 15 grams
“Chobani Champions” Greek Style Yogurt, one 4 ounce cup: 14 grams
Kashi “TLC” Crackers, Honey Sesame, 10 crackers with 1 oz cheddar cheese 17 grams
Nutri-grain waffle (1) with 2 tsp low fat cream cheese and 1 tsp jelly: 20 grams
20-30 Grams Carb
Whole wheat pocket pita (1) with 2 tablespoons hummus: 29 grams
Kashi “TLC” Baked Snack Bar: 21 grams
Whole wheat flour tortilla (8 inch) with 1 ounce Monterey Jack Cheese and Salsa: 28 grams