Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital is the premiere full-spectrum Pediatrics facility for the state of Connecticut. YNHCH provides primary care to children in the New Haven area, Level I trauma care, and tertiary care to patients from a wide referral base including Southern Connecticut and Eastern New York. There is a very busy 18-bed PICU, as well as an active pediatric transport program. Currently the Pediatric Emergency Department provides care to over 35,000 patients annually. The hospital’s location within the larger 900-bed Yale-New Haven Hospital allows a full complement of state-of-the art services while prioritizing the unique needs of children.
The Pediatric Emergency Department is adjacent to the Adult Emergency Department, with side-by-side trauma resuscitation suites. Although each department functions independently, the close proximity provides a unique setting for sharing of knowledge and teaching opportunities. With the exception of the toxicology elective at the Poison Control Center in Hartford, all clinical rotations are within Yale-New Haven Hospital.
Sixteen PEM faculty members, 6 PEM fellows, and 5 advanced level practitioners in the Emergency Medicine Section of the Department of Pediatrics staff the Pediatric Emergency Department of Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital. We are involved in teaching medical students, physician-associate students, pre-hospital providers, and residents in pediatrics and emergency medicine.
Fellows are encouraged to participate in a wide variety of experiences at Yale. Examples include:
- Writing of case reports
- Co-authoring of chapters or review articles with faculty members
- Submission of interesting patient cases to national forums (EmergiQuiz, PemPix, ESPR patient cases)
- Committee involvement (Quality and Safety, Nurse Peer Review)
- A quality improvement project MUST be performed during the course of fellowship
- Teaching via didactics and simulation to a variety of audiences (residents, medical students, paramedics, nurses)
- Attendance at regional and national conferences