Extensive Research Description
Dr. Kandil's clinical research interests involve the study and development of systematic methods for improving the quality of patient care. She has assisted in the development of a scoring tool that helps transport teams make early triage decisions. Currently, she is examining the experience within the PICU of hyperglycemic management during critical illness, and evaluating the effects glucose control has on patient outcomes.
- Abou Zhar R, Vitamin D Status after Cardiopulmonary Bypass in Children with Congenital Heart Disease Journal of Intensive Care Medicine. 2016 (in press)
- Canarie MF, Barry S, Carroll CL, Hassinger A, Kandil S, Li S, Pinto M, Valentine SL, Faustino EV; Northeast Pediatric Critical Care Research Consortium. Risk Factors for Delayed Enteral Nutrition in Critically Ill Children. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2015 Oct;16(8):e283-9.
- Abou Zhar R, Kandil SB. A Pediatric Critical Care Perspective on Vitamin D. Pediatric Research. 2015 Jan;77(1-2):164-7.
- Kandil SB, Faustino EV. Assessing the benefits and risks of tight glycemic control in critically ill children. Pediatric Health, Medicine and Therapeutics. 2014 Aug, Volume 2014(5):93-98.
- Kandil SB, Faustino EV. Tight glycaemic control does not improve mortality or morbidity in critically ill children. Evid Based Med 2014; doi:10.1136/eb-2014-101749. PMID: 2491541.
- Kandil SB, Spear D, Thomas NJ, Weinzimer SA, and Faustino EV. Retrospective Outcomes of Glucose Control in Critically Ill Children. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2013;7(5):1220–1228.
- Kandil SB, Miksa M, Faustino EV. Control of serum glucose concentration in critical illness. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2013 Jun;25(3):297-303.
- Kandil SB, Sanford HA, Northrup V, Bigham MT, Giuliano JS. Transport disposition using the Transport Risk Assessment in Pediatrics (TRAP) Score. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2012;Jul-Sep;16(3):366-73.
- Kandil S, Faustino, EV. Outcomes of Tight Glycemic Control in Critically Ill Children. Pediatric Academic Society. 2011. (Abstract)
- Kandil S, Schmenk H, Giuliano Jr. JS. Pediatric Transport Triage Using the Transport Risk Assessment in Pediatrics (TRAP) Score. American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on Transport Medicine 2010. Pediatrics. (Abstract).
- Vagnoni KE, Abbruzzese (Kandil) SB, Christiansen ND, Holyoak GR. The influence of the phase of the estrous cycle on sheep endometrial tissue response to lipopolysaccharide. Journal of Animal Science. 79(2):463-9, 2001 Feb.