Departments & Organizations
Stem Cell Center, Yale: Tissue Specific Stem Cells
Yale Combined Program in the Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS): Molecular Cell Biology, Genetics and Development: Developmental Biology; Genetics and Genomics; Human Disease; Molecular and Chemical Biology; Receptors and Signal Transduction | Molecular Medicine, Pharmacology, and Physiology: Hematology, Vascular Biology and Inflammation; Stem Cell Biology
Yibing Qyang obtained his B.S. degree from the Department of Biochemistry, Nanjing University, China. He subsequently pursued graduate studies at the Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences. Then, he joined the Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. After receiving his M.S. degree from Dr. Michele Sawadogo’s laboratory, and Ph.D. degree from Dr. Stevan Marcus’, he spent the next year conducting postdoctoral research at Baylor College of Medicine, where he studied myeloproliferative diseases with a mouse model of Presenilin deficiency. He next joined Dr. Kenneth R. Chien's laboratory at the University of California, San Diego and Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Stem Cell Institute. He has been studying the renewal and differentiation of cardiovascular progenitor cells, marked by Isl1, a LIM-Homeodomain transcription factor. In October, 2008, Yibing Qyang became a principal investigator at Yale Cardiovascular Research Institute and Section of Cardiology, Dept. of Internal Medicine, and Yale Stem Cell Center. Since 2010, he has become the Director of Yale Stem Cell Research Forum.
Currently, the Qyang laboratory has the following members:
1. Yongming Ren, Ph.D. (Associate Research Scientist; Yale entry level faculty position), graduated from Tsinghua University, China, in 2007. Dr. Ren was awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 11/1/2012 – 10/30/2014).
2. Oscar Bartulos-Encinas, Ph.D. (Associate Research Scientist; Yale entry level faculty position), graduated from University of Madrid, Spain, in 2009. Dr. Bartulos has been awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 11/1/2013 – 10/30/2015).
3. Biraja Dash, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from Network of Excellence in Functional Biomaterials, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland in 2014.
4. Ting Yi, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from University of Vermont, USA in 2013.
5. Jiesi Luo, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from Michigan State University, USA in 2014.
6. Liqiong Gui, Ph.D., Associate Scientist, graduated from University of Rochester, USA in 2006, and a supported collaborator.
7. Hong Wu, Ph.D., visiting scholar from China.
8. Xia Li, Ph.D., visiting scholar from China.
Previous Qyang lab members:
1. Min Young Lee, D.V.M, Ph.D. (graduated from Chonnam National University, Korea), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2009-2012), now Assistant Professor in Department of Molecular Physiology, College of Pharmacy, Kyungpook National University , South Korea.
2. Esra Cagavi Bozkulak, Ph.D. (graduated from University of California, Los Angeles, USA), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2010-2012), now Assistant Professor in Gebze Institute of Technology, Faculty of Science, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, K:141, 41400, Gebze-Kocaeli, Turkey.
3. Xin Ge, Ph.D., (graduated from University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, USA), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2010-2013). Dr. Ge was awarded a Brown-Coxe postdoctoral fellowship ($50,000; 7/1/2011 – 6/31/2012). Dr. Ge is now an Assistant Professor in Shanghai Jiaotong Unversity, China.
4. Peter John Amos, Ph.D., (graduated from University of Virginia), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2010-2013), now a scientist at University of Washington Seattle, Dr. Amos was awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 9/1/2011 – 6/30/2013) during his training in Qyang lab.
5. Zhengxin Jiang, Ph.D. (graduated from Baylor College of Medicine, USA), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2013-2015), now a scientist at Northwestern University.
6. Carol Suh, graduate student who obtained a M.S. degree (2012-2014). She obtained her B.S. from Harvard University in 2011.
7. Hongwei Wu, M.D., visiting student who obtained Ph.D. degree (2011-2014). He was from The Third Xiangya Hospital of Central South University.
8. Yan Xu, M.D., visiting scholar (2014) from The Third Xiangya Hospital of Central South University.
9. Jessica Tuan, Master Student at Yale Biomedical Engineering (2011-2012), now a medical student at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science.
10. Caroline Greenberg, Summer Intern 2011, Medical Student in Yale School of Medicine.
11. Andre Alcon, Summer Intern 2011, Medical Student in Yale School of Medicine.
12. Grant Senyei, Yale Undergraduate student (2008-2010), now a medical student at Northwestern University School of Medicine
13. Karen Xiao, Summer Intern 2012, undergraduate student at Georgetown University.
14. Zelun Wang, undergraduate summer student 2013 from Rice University.
15. Mengyan Liu, undergraduate summer student 2014 from University of New Haven.
Education & Training
|PhD||University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (2002)|
|MS||University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (1999)|
Honors & Recognition
Connecticut Stem Cell Program Established Investigator AwardConnecticut State Government (2015)
Connecticut Stem Cell Program Established Investigator AwardConnecticut State Government (2011)
NIH Independent Scientist AwardNIH (2010)
YCCI ScholarYale Center for Clinical Investigation (2010)
American Heart Association Scientist Development AwardAHA (2009)
Connecticut Stem Cell Program Early Stage Investigator AwardConnecticut State Government (2009)
Editorial board Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cardiology (2011 - 2016)
AHA CVD1 or CVD2 Study Section AHA (2011 - 2016)
Ad hoc Member, NHLBI Cardiovascular Development Consortium NIH (2015 - 2015)
Ad hoc Member, NHLBI PPG for Cardiac Repair and Regeneration NIH (2014 - 2014)
Ad hoc Member, NHLBI Ancillary and Collaborative studies/proposal for Progenitor Cell Biology Consortium (PCBC). NIH (2013 - 2013)
Ad hoc reviewer for NHLBI VCMB study section NIH (2012 - 2012)
British Medical Research Council grant reviewer, England British Medical Research Council (2010)
Regular Member American Heart Association (2011)
Regular Member The International Society for Stem Cell Research Member (ISSCR) (2007)
Director for Yale Stem Cell Research Forum Yale university (2010)
Member, Committee for The Lo Family Stem Cell Research Fellowship, Yale University. Yale University (2011)
Co-organizer and Invited Speaker for Monthly Forum for Chinese Visiting Scholar at Yale, which helps these visiting scholars to improve their research skills and to learn American culture. Yale University (2015)