Pathology: GYN Translational Research
Dr. Hui's academic interests primarily focus on clinical and biological aspects of human neoplasia. Using molecular and genetic approaches, he has active research collaborations with clinical oncologists and basic science investigators in exploring the pathogenesis of several fascinating gynecological tumors including Type II endometrial carcinomas and gestational trophoblastic diseases. As medical director of the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory, he has been exploring molecular methods in facilitating routine histological evaluations of neoplastic processes including lymphomas, translocation specific sarcomas and common solid tumors.
- Perincheri S, Hui P. KRAS mutation testing in clinical practice. Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics (invited review). 2014 Dec 9:1-10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hui P (Responsible author), Baergen R, Cheung ANY, Fukunaga M, Gersell D, Lage JM, Ronnett BM, Sebire NJ, Wells M. Gestational trophoblastic neoplasms, Chapter 6 – Gestational trophoblastic disease, WHO Classification of Tumours of Female Reproductive Org
- Hui P. Next Generation Sequencing: Chemistry, Technology and Applications. Topics in Current Chemistry 2014;336:1-18.
- Buza N, Hui P. Immunohistochemistry and other ancillary techniques in the diagnosis of gestational trophoblastic diseases. Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology, 2014, June, [EPUB]
- Buza N, Xu F, Wu W, Carr RJ, Li P, Hui P. Recurrent chromosomal aberrations in intravenous leiomyomatosis of the uterus: high-resolution array comparative genomic hybridization study. Hum Pathol. 2014 Sep;45(9):1885-92
- Adeniran AJ, Hui P. Best Practice of BRAF V600E Mutation Testing for the Diagnosis and Management of Thyroid Cancers. Expert Review of Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2014, August, [EPUB]
- Buza N., Hui P. Egg donor pregnancy: A potential pitfall in DNA genotyping diagnosis of hydatidiform moles. International Journal of Gynecological Pathology, 2014, 33(5):507-10.
- Buza N, Rutherford T, Hui P. Genotyping Diagnosis of Non-gestational Choriocarcinoma involving fallopian tube and broad ligament: a Case Study. International Journal of Gynecological Pathology, 2014, 33(1):58-63.
- Alomari A, Abi-Raad R, Buza, Hui P. Frequent KRAS Mutation in Complex Mucinous Epithelial Lesions of the Endometrium. Modern Pathology, 2013;27(5):675-680.
- Orsaria M, Khelifa S, Buza N, Kamath A, Hui P. Chromosome 17 polysomy: Correlation with Histological Parameters and HER2NEU Gene Amplification. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 2013, 66(12): 1070-1075.
- Buza N, English DP, Santin AD, Hui P. Toward Standard HER2 Testing of Endometrial Serous Carcinoma: Four-Year Experience At A Large Academic Center and Recommendations for Clinical Practice. Mod Pathol, 2013, 26(12): 1605-1612.
- Much M, Buza N, Hui P. Tissue Identity Testing of Cancer by Short Tandem Repeat Polymorphism: Pitfalls of Interpretation in the Presence of Microsatellite Instability. Human Pathology, 2013,45(3): 549-555.
- Buza N, Hui P. Marked Heterogeneity of HER2/NEU Gene Amplification in Endometrial Serous Carcinoma. Genes, Chromosomes and Cancer, 2013, 52(12):1178-1186.
- Bossuyt V, Buza N, Ngo N, Much M, Asis M, Schwartz P, Hui P. Cancerous “Floater” – A Lesson Learnt about Tissue Identity Testing, Endometrial Cancer and Microsatellite Instability. Modern Pathology, 2013; 26(9): 1264-1269.
- Cai G, Wong R, Chhieng D, Levy G, Gettinger S, Roy H, Puchalski J, Homer R. Hui P. Identification of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) Mutation, KRAS Mutation, and ALK Gene Rearrangement in the Cytological Specimens of Primary and Metastatic Lung A
- Buza N, Hui P. Partial Hydatidiform Mole: Histological Parameters in Correlation with DNA Genotyping. International Journal of Gynecological Pathology 2013, 32(3): 307-15.
- Zhong HH, Liu Y, Talmor M, Wu BQ, Hui P. Deparaffinization and Lysis by Hydrothermal Pressure (Pressure Cooking) Coupled with Chaotropic Salt Column Purification: a Rapid and Efficient Method of DNA Extraction from Formalin-Fixed Paraffin Embedded Tissue.
- Cai GP, Mahooti S, Lipata FM, Chhieng D, Hui P. Diagnostic Value of K-ras Mutation Analysis for Pancreaticobiliary Cytology Specimens with Indeterminate Diagnosis. Cancer Cytopathology 2012;120(5):313-8
- Oktay M, Hui P. Molecular Pathology as the Driving Force for Personalized Oncology. Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics. 2012, 12:811-813.
- Hui P. (Editor). Gestational Trophoblastic Disease: Diagnostic and Molecular Genetic Pathology (Springer), 1st Edition, 2012, ISBN: 978-1-61779-393-6.
- Buza N, Hui P. New Diagnostic Modalities for Molar Gestations (invited review). Diagnostic Histopathology 2012, 18:201-209.
- Ziai J, Hui P. BRAF mutation testing in clinical practice (invited review). Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics 2012, 12:127-138.
- Chhieng D and Hui P (Editors). Cytology and Surgical Pathology of Gynecologic Neoplasms (Springer), 1st Edition, 2010, ISBN 978-1-60761-163-9.
- Buza N, Hui P. Gestational Trophoblastic Diseases: Histological Diagnosis in the Molecular Era (invited review). Diagnostic Histopathology. 2010, 16(11): 526-537.
- Hui P. Molecular Diagnosis of Gestational Trophoblastic Disease (Invited review). Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics. 2010, 10(8): 1023-1034.
- Lipata F, Parkash V, Talmor M, Bell S, Chen SP, Maric V, Hui P. Precise DNA Genotyping Diagnosis of hydatidiform moles. Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics 2010, 115:784-794.
- Xu M, Schwartz PE, Rutherford TJ, Azodi M, Santin A, Silasi D, Martel M, Hui P. HER-2/neu Receptor Gene Status in Endometrial Carcinomas: A Tissue Microarray Study. Histopathology, 2010, 56:263-273.
- Siddon A, Hui P. Glial heterotopia of the uterine cervix: DNA genotyping confirmation of its fetal origin. International Journal of Gynecological Pathology. 2010, 29:394-397.
- Yan Z, Hui P. Minimal uterine serous carcinoma with extrauterine tumor of identical morphology: an immunohistochemical study of 13 cases. Applied Immunohistochemistry and Molecular Morphology, 2010, 18:75-79.
- Xu M, Yang Bin, Maria-Luisa Carcangiu, Hui P. Epithelioid Trophoblastic Tumor: Comparative Genomic Hybridization and Diagnostic DNA Genotyping. Modern Pathology, 2009, 22:232-238.
- Jorge D, Hui P. Lack of genetic association between exaggerated placental site reaction and placental site trophoblastic tumor. International Journal of Gynecological Pathology. 2008, 27:562-567.
- Bifulco C, Jonhson C, Hao LM, Kermalli H, Bell S, Hui P. Genotypic Analysis of Hydatidiform Mole: An Accurate and Practical Method of Diagnosis. American Journal of Surgical Pathology. 2008, 32(4):445-451.
- Hui P, Wang HL, Chu PG, Yang B, Huang J, Baergen RN, Sklar J, Yang XY, Soslow RA. Absence of Y Chromosome in Human Placental Site Trophoblastic Tumor. Modern Pathology 2007, 20(10):1055-60.
- Tallini G, Hui P. Molecular Diagnosis of Sarcomas, in Molecular Pathology in Clinical Practice, Chapter 28, edited by Leonard, Bagg, Caliendo, Kaul, Snow-Bailey and Van Deerlin (Springer), page 287-297, 2007.
- Fadare O, Parkash V, Carcangiu ML, Hui P. Epithelioid trophoblastic tumor: clinicopathological features with an emphasis on uterine cervical involvement. Modern Pathology. 2006, 19(1):75-82.
- Hui P, Fedoriw G. Recurrent endometrial stromal tumors with smooth-muscle differentiation and a protracted clinical course. Nature Clinical Practice Oncology. 2005, 2(11):588-593.
- Hui P, Martel M, Parkash V. Gestational Trophoblastic Diseases: Recent Advances in Histopathologic Diagnosis and Related Genetic Aspects. Adv Anat Pathol. 2005, 12(3):116-125.
- Hui P, Kelly M, O'Malley DM, Tavassoli F, Schwartz PE. Minimal uterine serous carcinoma: a clinicopathological study of 40 cases. Modern Pathology. 2005, 18(1):75-82.
- Hui P, Riba A, Petrovic T, Johnson T, Baergen R, Ward D. Comparative genomic hybridization study of placental site trophoblastic tumor: successful analysis of four cases. Modern Pathology, 2004, 17:248-251.
- Hui P, Howe G, Crouch J, Qumsiyeh M, Tallini G, Flynn S, Smith B: Real-time RT-PCR of cyclin D1 mRNA in mantle cell lymphoma: comparison with FISH and immunohistochemistry. Leukemia and Lymphoma, 2003, 44:1385-1394.
- Hui P, Parkash V, Perkins AS, Carcangiu ML. Pathogenesis of placental site trophoblastic tumor may require the presence of a paternally derived X chromosome. Laboratory Investigation 2000, 80(6):965-72.