Cells; Epithelial Cells; Disorders of Environmental Origin; Kidney; Kidney Glomerulus; Kidney Tubules; Lupus Nephritis; Mixed Connective Tissue Disease; Nephrons; Scleroderma, Systemic; Podocytes
Extensive Research Description
Research in this laboratory is directed in three main investigative areas. We study the structural and functional characteristics of transporting epithelia, in particular the cellular mechanisms involved in adaptive changes in response to steroid hormones and changes in the external ionic milieu. The second area of investigation is of the mechanisms involved in the recovery from acute renal failure. These studies concentrate on the contribution of the cytoskeleton to the reorganization of the micro domain distribution of Na,K-ATPase as well as investigating the role of the synthesis and recycling of integral membrane proteins and the contribution of heat shock proteins in this process. Finally, we are also investigating the factors involved in the initiation and progression of glomerulus scarring by defining the pathogenetically relevant parameters of progressive glomerular injury.
Renal Disease, renal transport and ischemia, heat shock proteins, diabetic nephropathy, Electron Microscopy; juvenile diabetes. Cellular disruption and restitution. Diabetes endocrinology.
- Geller DS, Zhang J, Wisgerhof MV, Shackleton C, Kashgarian M, Lifton RP. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. A novel form of human mendelian hypertension featuring onglucocorticoid-remediable aldosteronism. Aug;93(8):3117-23. 2008
- Krendel M, Kim SV, Willinger T, Wang T, Kashgarian M, Flavell RA, Mooseker MS. Disruption of Myosin 1e promotes podocyte injury. J Am Soc Nephrol. Jan;20(1):86-94, 2009
- Gotoh N, Yan Q, Du Z, Biemesderfer D, Kashgarian M, Mooseker MS, Wang T. Altered renal proximal tubular endocytosis and histology in mice lacking myosin-VI. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). Mar;67(3):178-92, 2010
- Teichmann LL, Ols ML, Kashgarian M, Reizis B, Kaplan DH, Shlomchik MJ. Dendritic cells in lupus are not required for activation of T and B cells but promote their expansion, resulting in tissue damage. Immunity. Dec 14;33(6):967-78. 2010
- Leng L, Chen L, Fan J, Greven D, Arjona A, Du X, Austin D, Kashgarian M, Yin Z, Huang XR, Lan HY, Lolis E, Nikolic-Paterson D, Bucala R. J Immunol. 2011 Jan 1;186(1):527-38. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1001767. Epub 2010 Nov 24.
- Sreedharan R, Riordan M, Thullin G, Van Why S, Siegel NJ, Kashgarian M. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011 Jan;1813(1):129-35. doi: 10.1016/j.bbamcr.2010.08.012. Epub 2010 Oct 8.