- Q: Does Yale require a supplementary application?
A: Yes. All students are required to submit a supplemental applicationby the October 1st deadline.collapse
- Q: When does the program begin?
A new class enters the Yale PA Program every fall.collapse
- Q: What is the deadline for application?
A: October 1 (midnight) of each year.collapse
- Q: Will I be subject to a criminal background check as a Yale student?
A: Incoming students will undergo a criminal background check prior to matriculation. Several clinical training sites require criminal background checks.
- Q: Does Yale rank applicants based on the university they attended?
- A: No. Each application is reviewed on its own merit and we do not maintain a university ranking systemcollapse
- Q: I am a history major at a local university. Do I need to get a second degree in the sciences in order to apply to your program?
A: No. We do not have a specified list of majors required for admission. However, we do have specific prerequisites that should be carefully reviewed prior to application to the program.collapse
- Q: I completed my undergraduate course work at a university outside the United States. How will you evaluate my transcripts?
A: You must submit your transcripts and credentials to the World Education Service for an official course-by-course evaluation and degree conferral authentication.collapse
- Q: Do you accept undergraduate degrees from a foreign institution?
A: If your credentials have been deemed comparable to an undergraduate degree by World Education Service, we do accept the coursework. International students must complete one year of education in the United States, Great Britain or Canada prior to application.collapse
- Q: Do I need to take the TOEFL?
A: Anyone whose first language is not English and has not completed a degree in the United States, Great Britain or Canada is required to take the TOEFL.collapse
- Q: I am trained as a physician from a country outside the United States who has been unable to complete the USMLE examinations. How do I apply to your program?
A: Unfortunately, you are not eligible to apply. Yale does not accept applications from individuals who have completed their medical training as physicians.collapse
- Q: I completed one year of medical school and would like to apply to your program. Am I eligible for matriculation?
A: While we do not accept applications from physicians who have completed their medical school training, we do accept applications from individuals who started medical school but for a variety of reasons did not complete their training.collapse
- Q: I have taken organic chemistry twice because my first grade was a "C." When calculating the GPA do you use the first grade or the second grade?
A: Since the science grade point average includes all science course work, it would use both organic chemistry grades in the calculation.
- Q: Is the science GPA calculated using only the courses that fulfill prerequisite requirements or from the entire transcript of science courses?
A: The science GPA is calculated using the entire transcript(s) of science courses.
- Q: I did poorly in my undergraduate science course work and have maintained a very high GPA in my post-baccalaureate studies. Can Yale consider only my post-baccalaureate studies GPA since the grades are more representative of my current knowledge base?
A: No. The science GPA is calculated using grades from the undergraduate and post-graduate periods.collapse
- Q: If I took my biology and chemistry courses more than ten years ago, am I required to retake the science prerequisites?
A: No. We do not require that the science courses be taken within a certain timeframe relative to the application. When the admissions committee reviews the application, the members will assess the applicant's familiarity with the prerequisite subjects in general.collapse
- Q: My last prerequisite for Yale's program will be completed this fall. Will this date disqualify me as an applicant?
A: No. A maximum of 1 prerequisite course may be "in progress" at the time you submit your application. That course must be completed by December 31st with a grade of "B" or better.collapse
- Q: I am working this year, trying to fulfill the work experience hours required by many PA programs. How many hours do I need to complete prior to submitting my application?
A: While Yale does not require a set number of health care hours, having experience does make the applicant more competitive. Most individuals that apply to our program have on average 1900 patient care hours.collapse
- Q: How does Yale define "direct patient care?"
A: Direct patient care means hands-on patient experience. Preference is given to applicants with more hands-on experience. Roles in this area include but are not limited to experience as an EMT, Paramedic, RN, Medical Assistant, CNA, ER Tech, and Physical Therapy Aide. Healthcare experience with underserved populations is highly valued.collapse
Official GRE Test Scores
- Q:Will Yale accept the MCAT?
A: No. All applicants are expected to complete the GRE. The institution code is 3983.collapse
- Q: The Educational Testing Service (ETS) keeps the scores for only five years. I took the GRE prior to that. Do I need to retake the GRE?
A: Yes. The GRE is a required component and the Program would like to see current scores.collapse
- Q: I have a graduate degree and would like an exemption from taking the GRE.
A: In an effort to ensure fair admissions practices, we do not waive GRE requirements for any applicant.collapse
- Q: What is the minimum score required on the GRE?
A: We do not have a minimum score on any specific section of the GRE however, competitive applicants have overall scores above the 50th percentile.collapse
- Q: What is the latest date for taking the Graduate Record Examination?
A: We recommend that all GRE examinations be scheduled by September 1st. Only fully verified and completed applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee.collapse
- Q: When will I be notified that my application is complete and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee?
A: You will receive emails regarding your status when your application is:
- Received by Yale
- Missing a document
- Q: By what date will Yale inform me of the invitation to interview for the PA program?
A: It is our goal to extend interview invitations one month prior to the scheduled interview dates.collapse