Sara Rockwell, Ph.D.
Appointments & Promotions
- Member, National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP)
- Chair, Provost’s Committee on Conflict of Interest
- Volunteer with Audubon Society and Friends of Hammonassett
- Investigator, NIH/NCRR, 2 UL1 RR 023423-06, Clinical and Translational Science Award, R. Sherwin, PI, 2011-2016
- PI, YSPH-Brozman Foundation Ovarian Cancer Grant, a novel approach to ameliorating early and late GI toxicities in patiets treated with ovarian carcinoma: essential preclinical safety studies., 2012-2013.
- Investigator, NIH 5 R01 ES05775-20, Hypoxia, Genetic Instability and DNA Mismatch Repair, P. Glazer, PI, 2003-2013.
- Investigator, NIH R01 CA134627-03, Prostate Edema in Permanent Interstitial Brachytherapy, Z. Chen, PI, 2008-2013.
- Core Director, Cell Culture and Animal Models Core, NIH 3 P01 CA129186-03 S2, DNA Repair in Cancer Biology and Therapy, P. Glazer, PI, 2007-2013.
Honors and Awards
- Named Honorary Professor, Hubei University of Medicine
- Rockwell, S., Y. Liu, H.A. Seow, K. Ishiguro, R.P. Baumann, P.G. Penketh, K. Shyam, P.M. Glazer, A.C. Sartorelli. Preclinical evaluation of Laromustine for use in combination with radiation therapy in the treatment of solid tumors. Int. J. Radiat. Biol. 88:277-285 (2012).
- Duan, Q., Y. Liu, C. Booth, S. Rockwell. Use of Fenbendazole-containing therapeutic diets for mice in experimental cancer therapy studies. J. Amer. Assoc. Lab. Animal Sci. 51:224-230 (2012).
- Kim, E.Y., Y. Liu, O.M. Akintujoye, K. Shyam, T.A. Grove, A.C. Sartorelli, S. Rockwell. Preliminary studies with a new hypoxia-selective cytotoxin, KS119W, in vitro and in vivo. Radiat Res. 178(3):126-37 (2012).
- Sadler, S., J. Larson, S., Bouregy, D. LaPaglia, L. Bridger, C. McCalsin, S. Rockwell. Community-University Partnerships in Community-Based Research. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action, Volume: 6(4):463-469 (2012).
- Sherwin, R; Slayman, C; Rockwell, S; et al. Yale Center for Clinical Investigation: Leveraging Industry Partnerships and Research Cores, CTS-CLINICAL AND TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE 5(6): 435-436 (2012).
- Hansen, J.E., G. Chan, Y. Liu, D.C. Hegan, S. Dalal, E. Dray, Y. Kwon, Y. Xu, X. Xu, E. Peterson-Roth, E. Geiger, Y. Liu, J. Gera, J.B. Sweasy, P. Sung, S. Rockwell, R.N. Nishimura, R.H. Weisbart, P.M. Glazer. Targeting cancer with a lupus autoantibody. Sci Translational Med., 4:157 Article Number: 157ra142(2012).
- Rockwell, S., T.A. Grove, Y. Liu, Y-C Cheng, S.A. Higgins, C.J. Booth. Preclinical studies of the Chinese herbal medicine formulation PHY906 (KD018) as a potential adjunct to radiation therapy. Intl J Radiat Biol., in press.
- Moran, M.S., S. Ma, R. Jagsi, T-I. J. Yang, B. Gaudreau, S. Higgins, J. Weidhaas, L. Wilson, R. Peschel, D. Fass, S. Rockwell. A prospective, multicenter study of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) utilization during definitive radiation therapy for breast cancer. Intl. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys., in press.
- Lamb, K.L., Y. Liu, K. Ishiguro, Y. Kwon, N. Paquet, A.C. Sartorelli, P. Sung, S. Rockwell, J.B. Sweasy. Tumor-associated mutations in O6-methylguanine DNA-methyltransferase (MGMT) reduce DNA repair functionality. Mol. Carcinogen., in press.
- Duan, Q., Y. Liu, C.J. Booth, S. Rockwell. Fenbendazole, pinworms and experimental cancer therapy. Radiation Research Society Meeting, San Juan, PR, September 30-October 3, 2012.
- Hansen, J.E., G. Chan, Y. Liu, Y. Liu, J. Gera, J.B. Sweasy, P. Sung, S. Rockwell, R.N. Nishimura, R.H. Weisbart, P.M. Glazer. A rare cell-penetrating lupus anti-DNA antibody inhibits DNA repair and sensitizes tumors in ionizing radiation. Radiation Research Society Meeting, San Juan, PR, September 30-October 3, 2012.
- Hansen, J.E., G. Chan, Y. Liu, Y. Liu, J. Gera, J.B. Sweasy, P. Sung, S. Rockwell, R.N. Nishimura, R.H. Weisbart, P.M. Glazer. A rare cell-penetrating lupus anti-DNA antibody inhibits DNA repair and sensitizes tumors in ionizing radiation. American Society for Radiation Oncology 54th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, October 28-31, 2012.
- Higgins, S., Y. Liu, Y-C. Cheng, K. Asselin, C. Booth, S. Rockwell. The standardized herbal formulation PHY906 decreases the toxicity of abdominal irradiation in mice. American Society for Radiation Oncology 54th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, October 28-31, 2012.
- Speaker and Panelist, Session on implementation of the new PHS conflict of interest regulations. Federal Demonstration Partnership, Washington, DC, January 11-13, 2012.
- Speaker, Faculty Lunch Forum and Faculty Committee Sessions, providing updates on proposed select agent regulations, new PHS conflict of interest regulations, and progress with implementation of the new Faculty Burden Survey, Federal Demonstration Partnership, Washington, DC, January 11-13, 2012.
- Hubei University School of Medicine, Visiting Professor, Visiting University, meeting with faculty and students, and presenting lectures, April 15-29, 2012.
- Mentoring Lecture: American Universities and Medical School, April 18, 2012
- Scientific Lecture: The Tumor Microenvironment: Implications for Cancer Therapy, April 19, 2012.
- Speaker, Faculty Lunch Forum. 2012 Faculty Workload Survey Preliminary Data and Analyses, Federal Demonstration Partnership, Washington, August 27, 2012
- Speaker, Environmental Health & Safety. Strategic Planning Workshop, New Haven, CT. Compliance Requirements and Administrative Burdens: A Faculty Perspective, September 7, 2012.
Lectures in Yale courses
- Genetics 703: The Mouse in Biomedical Research, lecturer/faculty member
- Pierson College Freshman Seminar: Radiation and the Universe, lecturer
- Investigative Medicine Program: Practical and Ethical Issues in Clinical Investigation, faculty/lecturer
- Pharmacology 504: Interfering Selectively (Pharmacology course for graduate students) faculty/lecturer
- Pharmacology 501: Mechanisms of Drug Action (Pharmacology course for second year medical students) faculty member, small group conference on Principles of Cancer Chemotherapy (2007-present)
- Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Resident’s course in Radiobiology and Cancer Biology, lecturer
Speaker in other mentoring/lecture series
- Discussant: Yale Medical Library Staff Meeting. Needs and Challenges Facing Faculty and Researchers, January 10, 2012
- Speaker: YCCI Community Leaders Session. Conflicts of Interest in Research, February 10, 2012
- Speaker: 10th Annual Discovery to Cure High School Internship Program, “Careers in Biomedical Research”, March 9, 2012
- Speaker: Conflicts of Interest. Ethics Course for Postdoctoral Fellows, May 30, 2012
- Speaker: Core facilities, New Faculty Orientation sessions, Fall 2012
Other education-related service
- Member, Provost's Ad Hoc Committee on Expression in the Classroom
- Member, Provost’s Committee on Academic Integrity
- Member, Advisory Committee for Postdoctoral Affairs
- Review and approve all requests for undergraduate interns in laboratories of Yale School of Medicine
- Review and approve all requests for educational programs involving minors in laboratories in the Yale School of Medicine