Susan Mayne, Ph.D.
Appointments & Promotions
- Grant Reviewer, Dutch Cancer Society (KWF Kankerbestrijding), 2012.
- External Advisory Board, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, 2012-.
- Invited Chair, Educational Session, American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Annual meeting, 2012.
- Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences, 2007-13.
- External Steering Committee (webinar series), Nutritional Sciences Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, NCI, 2011-13.
- Data and Safety Monitoring Committee, AREDS II (Age-Related Eye Disease Study II) National Eye Institute, 2005-present.
- Global Health and the Arts 2013,, Obesity and its Public Health Consequences. Organizing Committee, and two invited talks, on “Obesity and Chronic Disease: National and Global Public Health Perspective,” and “Obesity and the Risk of Cancer,” January 2013.
- Cancer Registrar’s of New England Annual Meeting, keynote speaker, “From Cancer Registration to Cancer Etiology to Cancer Prevention,” October 29, 2012 (conference rescheduled due to hurricane Sandy).
- Connecticut/Rhode Island Public Health Training Center webinar, "Indoor tanning and skin cancer: using the latest evidence to impact public health." Webcast with links for public health professionals, July 24, 2012.
Grants & Patent Awards
- Yale Cancer Center Connecticut Challenge Grant for Cancer Survivorship Understanding indoor and outdoor ultraviolet radiation exposure in skin cancer survivors Susan Mayne, P.I. Total amount of grant: $50,000 2/1/2012-1/31/2013
Honors and Awards
- Population Science Research Prize, Yale Cancer Center, for most impactful research publication in 2012.
- Recipient of C.-E.A. Winslow Named Professorship, Yale School of Public Health, 2012.
- Lifetime National Associate, National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences, 2011.
Publications and Presentations
- Li, Q., Holford, T. R., Zhang, Y., Boyle, P., Mayne, S. T., Dai, M., and Zheng, T. Dietary fiber intake and risk of breast cancer by menopausal and estrogen receptor status. Eur. J. Nutr. 16 February 2012, doi:10.1007/s00394-012-0305-9. PMID:22350922.
- Lostritto, K., Ferrucci, L. M., Cartmel, B., Molinaro, A. M., Bale, A. E., and Mayne, S. T. Epidemiology and correlates of indoor tanning among young people. BMC Public Health 2012 Feb 10;12(1):118. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:22324969.
- Mayne, S. T., Ferrucci, L., and Cartmel, B. Lessons learned from randomized clinical trials of micronutrient supplements for cancer prevention. Ann. Rev. Nutr.32:369-390, 2012. doi:10.1146/annurev-nutr-071811-150659.
- Scarmo, S., Henebery, K., Peracchio, H., Cartmel, B., Lin, H., Ermakov, I. V., Gellermann, W., Bernstein, P. S., Duffy, V. B. and Mayne, S. T. Skin carotenoid status measured by resonance Raman spectroscopy as a biomarker of fruit and vegetable intake in preschool children. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. Advance on-line publication 21 March 2012; doi:10.1038/ejcn.2012.31.
- Lu, L., Katsaros, D., Mayne, S. T., Risch, H. A., Benedetto, C., Canuto, E. M., and Yu, H. Functional study of risk loci of stem cell-associated gene Lin-28B and associations with disease survival outcomes in epithelial ovarian cancer. Carcinogenesis epub 26 July 2012.
- Arem, H., Neuhouser, M. L., Irwin, M. I., Cartmel, B., Lu, L., Risch, H., Mayne, S. T., and Yu, H. Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid intakes and endometrial cancer risk in a population-based case-control study. Eur J Nutr epub 23 August, 2012, doi: 10.1007/s00394-012-0436-z.
- Cross, A. J., Harnly, J. M., Ferrucci, L. M., Risch, A., Mayne, S. T., and Sinha R. Developing a heme iron database for meats according to meat type, cooking method and doneness level. Food and Nutr Sciences 3:905-913, 2012.
- Lu, L., Zhu, G., Zhang, C., Deng, Q., Katsaros, D., Mayne, S. T., Risch, H. A., Mu, L., Canuto, E. M., Gregori, G., Benedetto, C., and Yu, H. Association of large noncoding RNA HOTAIR expression and its downstream intergenic CpG island methylation with survival in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treatment 136:875-883, 2012.
- Scarmo, S. N., Cartmel, B., Lin, H., Leffell, D. J., Ermakov, I. V., Gellermann, W., Bernstein, P. S. and Mayne, S. T. Single versus multiple measures of skin carotenoids by resonance Raman spectroscopy as a biomarker of usual carotenoid status. Br J Nutr 2013 Jan 28:1-7 (epub ahead of print).
- Arem, H., Bobe, G., Sampson, J., Subar, A. F., Park Y., Risch, H., Hollenbeck, A., Mayne, S. T., and Stolzenberg-Solomon, RZ. Flavonoid intake and risk of pancreatic cancer in the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study Cohort. Br J Cancer 2013 Jan 8 (epub ahead of print).
- Rosen, C. J., Abrams, S. A., Aloia, J. F., Brannon, P. M., Clinton, S. K., Durazo-Arvizu, R. A., Gallagher, J. C., Gallo, R. L., Jones, G., Kovacs, C. S., Manson, J. E., Mayne, S. T., Ross, A. C., Shapses, S. A. and Taylor, C. L. Controversies in clinical endocrinology: IOM Committee members respond to Endocrine Society Vitamin D Guideline. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 97:1146-52, 2012.
- Rosen, C. J. and Mayne, S.T. for the IOM Committee on Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin D and Calcium. Re: Vitamin D dose requirements for fracture prevention. N Engl J Med 367(14):1368, 2012.
- Primary teaching: Nutrition and Chronic Disease (CDE 562a) Students: Graduate students in Epidemiology and Public Health Role in course: Course Instructor (16 weeks, 2 hours meeting twice per week) Lecture content: role of nutrients in the etiology, management and prevention of chronic disease