Arthritis; Foot Deformities; Orthopedics; Pediatrics; Scoliosis; Spinal Fusion; Pedicle Screws; Health Care
Currently we are engaged in a study to assess the forces applied by the new magnetic growing rod system to the proximal foundation in these constructs and assessing spine vs. rib anchors.
Another project involves the assessment of physician satisfaction and utilization of EMR with and without scribes in the outpatient setting.
Specialized Terms: Spinal mobility following spinal fusion; Effectiveness of bracing on idiopathic scoliosis; Neuromuscular scoliosis; fractures in children; early onset scoliosis; growing rod constructs; Physician satisfaction
Extensive Research Description
Brian Smith is a doctor at Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital and the Yale University School of Medicine. Dr Smith is currently involved in two major research projects; one to assess the forces applied to the proximal anchor foundations of growing rod systems in children and another to assess the impact of scribes on physician satisfaction.
- “Low Body Mass Index as a Risk Factor for Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome following Spinal Fusion for Scoliosis,” Brian Smith, Mariam Hakim, Jeffery Thomson, Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques, April, 2009
- “Direct Intraosseous Pressure Monitoring of the Femoral Head during Surgery for Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis,” Lee E. Rubin, Nicholas J. Galante, Brian G. Smith, Peter A. DeLuca, Orthopedics, 31(7):663-6, 2008.
- “Racial and Economic Disparity and the Treatment of Pediatric Fractures,” James Slover, Jennifer Gibson, Tor Tosteson, Brian G. Smith, Kenneth Koval, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 25(6): 717-21, 2005.
- “Treatment of Pediatric Both-Bone Forearm Fractures: A Comparison of Operative Techniques,” Vinson A. Smith, Howard J. Goodman, Allan Strongwater, and Brian G. Smith, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 25(3): 309-313, 2005.
- “Lateral Compression Injuries of the Pediatric Elbow: Panner’s Disease and Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Capitellum,” Ky Kobayashi, Kevin J. Burton, Craig Rodner, Brian G. Smith, Andrew E. Caputo, Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 12(4): 246-54, 2004.
- Basques BA, Lukasiewicz AM, Samuel AM, Webb ML, Bohl DD, Smith BG, Grauer JN. J Pediatr Orthop. 2015 Nov 10.
- Basques BA, Chung SH, Lukasiewicz AM, Webb ML, Samuel AM, Bohl DD, Smith BG, Grauer JN. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015 Dec;40(24):1910-7.
- Smith BG, Kanel JS, Halsey MF, Thometz JG, Rosenfeld SR, Epps HR, McCarthy J. J Pediatr Orthop. 2015 Mar;35(2):199-202.
- Basques BA, Bohl DD, Golinvaux NS, Smith BG, Grauer JN. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2015 Jan;473(1):286-94.
- Dodds SD, Flanagin BA, Bohl DD, DeLuca PA, Smith BG. J Hand Surg Am. 2014 Sep;39(9):1739-45.