Winifred Mak MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences; Director, Early Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Program
Embryogenesis; Epigenetic regulation of placental development; Role of Pumilio; RNA binding protein in oogenesis and embryogenesis; Trophoblast stem cells
Dr Mak, is currently one of a few physician-scientists appointed by the NIH as a WRHR (Women's Reproductive Health Research) scholar. She is presently carrying out her postdoctoral research under the supervision of Dr Haifan Lin, the director of the Yale Stem Cell Center. Her current projects include investigating the role of an RNA binding protein, Pumilio in the ovary and during embryonic development using a transgenic knockout model; the epigenetic regulation of trophoblast stem cells and their future potential use in placental therapy.
- 10. De Waal, E., Mak W, Calhoun S, Stein P, Ord T, Krapp C, Coutifaris C, Schultz RM, Bartolomei MS., In Vitro Culture Increases the Frequency of Stochastic Epigenetic Errors at Imprinted Genes in Placental Tissues from Mouse Concepti Produced Through Assisted Reproductive Technologies. Biol Reprod. 2013 Dec 11
- Mc Graw, Oakes CC, Martel J, Cirio MC, de Zeeuw P, Mak W, Plass C, Bartolomei MS, Chaillet JR, Trasler JM. Loss of DNMT1o Disrupts Imprinted X Chromosome Inactivation and Accentuates Placental Defects in Females. PLoS Genet. 2013 Nov;9(11)
- Nangia A.K., Luke B., Smith JF., Mak W., Stern J.E.; the SART Writing Group (2011). National study of factors influencing assisted reproductive technology outcomes with male factor infertility. Fertil Steril. Sep;96(3):609-14.
- Senner C. E., Nesterova T.B., Norton S., Dewchand H., Godwin J., Mak W., Brockdorff N. (2011). Disruption of a conserved region of Xist exon 1 impairs Xist RNA localisation and X-linked gene silencing during random and imprinted X chromosome inactivation. Development. (2011) 138(8):1541-50.
- Mak, W and Dokras, A. (2009) Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and the risk of cardiovascular disease and thrombosis. Semin. Thromb. Hemost. 35(7): 613-20.
- Mak,W., Nesterova,T. B., de Napoles, M., Appanah, R.., Yamanaka, S., Otte, A. P., Brockdorff, N. (2004). Reactivation of the paternal X chromosome in early mouse embryos. Science 303 (5658): 666-669.
- Mak, W., Baxter, J., Silva, J., Newall, A. E., Otte, A. P. and Brockdorff., N. (2002). Mitotically stable association of Polycomb group proteins Eed and Enx1 with the inactive X chromosome in trophoblast stem cells. Curr. Biol. 12(12):1016-1020.