As a health economist, Dr. Xu's research focuses on improving the efficiency and outcomes of care for women and older adults. Her research projects have examined regional and hospital variation in utilization, cost, and outcomes of care; cost-effectiveness of interventions in obstetrics and gynecology; influence of medical malpractice environment on obstetric care; impact of insurance on health care utilization and outcomes of care; and gender and racial/ethnic differences in health and health trajectories.
Dr. Xu's research has been funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation. She received Honorable Mention for the Aetna Susan B. Anthony Award from the American Public Health Association (Gerontological Health Section) for excellence in research on older women and public health (2005) and the Frank J. McDevitt Excellence in Research Award in Policy Research from the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation (2008, 2011).
- Xu X, Gariepy A, Lundsberg LS, Sheth SS, Pettker CM, Krumholz HM, Illuzzi JL. Wide variation found in hospital facility costs for maternity stays involving low-risk childbirth. Health Affairs (Millwood) 2015;34(7):1212-9.
- Gariepy AM, Duffy JY, Xu X. Cost-effectiveness of immediate compared with delayed postpartum etonogestrel implant insertion. Obstetrics & Gynecology 2015;126(1):47–55.
- Desai V, Guo X, Xu X. Alterations in surgical technique following FDA statement on power morcellation. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2015; 212(5):685-7
- Xu X, Herrin J, Soulos PR, Saraf A, Roberts KB, Killelea BK, Wang S, Long JB, Wang R, Ma X, Gross CP. The role of patient factors, cancer characteristics and treatment patterns in the cost of care for Medicare beneficiaries with breast cancer. Health Services Research 2015 Jun 29. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12328. [Epub ahead of print].
- Xu X, Bao H, Strait K, Spertus JA, Lichtman JH, D'Onofrio G, Spatz E, Bucholz EM, Geda M, Lorenze NP, Bueno H, Beltrame JF, Krumholz HM. Sex differences in perceived stress and early recovery in young and middle-aged patients with acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 2015;131(7):614-23.