Anxiety; Gynecology; Obstetrics; Pregnancy; Pregnancy Complications; Sexually Transmitted Diseases; Cognitive Therapy; Delivery, Obstetric
Major research interest: Models for delivery of obstetric care.
Other research interests: Use of cognitive behavior therapy in the treatment of anxiety in patients with pregnancy losses with Dr Neill Epperson; Medical complications of pregnancy; Ultrasound of fetal anomalies.
“Group Prenatal Care” The Centering Pregnancy Program is an innovative model for providing group prenatal care that has been implemented at prenatal care sites around the United States since 1995. It has ten defined 2-hour sessions implemented from weeks 16 through 40 of pregnancy. All prenatal care occurs within the group setting except for the initial intake done prior to group assignment, medical concerns involving the need for privacy, and cervical assessments late in pregnancy.
In this group setting, up to 12 women of the same gestational age receive basic prenatal risk assessments, can share support from other women, and obtain knowledge and skills related to pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting. Groups are led by an obstetrical provider and an assistant trained in the model. Group prenatal care is designed to address the recommended content for prenatal care, as well as the psychosocial needs and as such is designed to improve the quality of care and consequently perinatal outcomes. We are currently in participating in a randomized clinical trial to examine whether the intervention improves STD rates as well and are looking forward to implementing the model to different sites including Haiti and South Africa.
Specialized Terms: Obstetric care delivery; Cognitive behavioral therapy; Complications of pregnancy; Centering pregnancy
Pregnancy as a window of opportunity for HIV prevention: effects of an HIV intervention delivered within prenatal care.
Kershaw TS, Magriples U, Westdahl C, Rising SS, Ickovics J. Pregnancy as a window of opportunity for HIV prevention: effects of an HIV intervention delivered within prenatal care. Am J Public Health. 2009 Nov;99(11):2079-86. Epub 2009 Sep 17.
Prevalence of post-traumatic stress disorder in pregnant women with prior pregnancy complications.
Forray A, Mayes LC, Magriples U, Epperson CN. Prevalence of post-traumatic stress disorder in pregnant women with prior pregnancy complications. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2009 Jun;22(6):522-7.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Cunningham SD, Magriples U, Thomas JL, Kozhimannil KB, Herrera C, Barrette E, Shebl FM, Ickovics JR: Association Between Maternal Comorbidities and Emergency Department Use Among a National Sample of Commercially Insured Pregnant Women. Acad Emerg Med. 2017 Aug; 2017 Jun 12. PMID: 28471532
- Sipsma HL, Ruiz E, Jones K, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Effect of breastfeeding on postpartum depressive symptoms among adolescent and young adult mothers. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017 May 5; 2017 May 5. PMID: 28412876
- Cunningham SD, Herrera C, Udo IE, Kozhimannil KB, Barrette E, Magriples U, Ickovics JR: Maternal Medical Complexity: Impact on Prenatal Health Care Spending among Women at Low Risk for Cesarean Section. Womens Health Issues. 2017 Apr 15; 2017 Apr 15. PMID: 28420558
- Lewis JB, Sullivan TP, Angley M, Callands T, Divney AA, Magriples U, Gordon DM, Kershaw TS: Psychological and relational correlates of intimate partner violence profiles among pregnant adolescent couples. Aggress Behav. 2017 Jan; 2016 May 2. PMID: 27135634
- Ickovics J, Lewis J, Kershaw T, Magriples U: Group Prenatal Care Compared With Traditional Prenatal Care: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Jan. PMID: 28002290
- Divney A, Gordon D, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Stress and behavioral risk among young expectant couples. J Adolesc. 2016 Dec; 2016 Sep 4. PMID: 27604077
- Sipsma HL, Callands T, Desrosiers A, Magriples U, Jones K, Albritton T, Kershaw T: Exploring Trajectories and Predictors of Depressive Symptoms Among Young Couples During Their Transition to Parenthood. Matern Child Health J. 2016 Nov. PMID: 27541145
- Norton MK, Smith MV, Magriples U, Kershaw TS: Masculine Ideology, Sexual Communication, and Sexual Self-Efficacy Among Parenting Adolescent Couples. Am J Community Psychol. 2016 Sep; 2016 Aug 19. PMID: 27539234
- Desrosiers A, Thompson A, Divney A, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Romantic partner influences on prenatal and postnatal substance use in young couples. J Public Health (Oxf). 2016 Jun; 2015 Apr 5. PMID: 25848074
- Gordon DM, Campbell C, Washington K, Albritton T, Divney A, Magriples U, Kershaw T: The Influence of General Discrimination and Social Context on Young Urban Expecting Couples' Mental Health. J Child Fam Stud. 2016 Apr 1; 2015 Oct 29. PMID: 26962296
- Ickovics JR, Earnshaw V, Lewis JB, Kershaw TS, Magriples U, Stasko E, Rising SS, Cassells A, Cunningham S, Bernstein P, Tobin JN: Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial of Group Prenatal Care: Perinatal Outcomes Among Adolescents in New York City Health Centers. Am J Public Health. 2016 Feb; 2015 Dec 21. PMID: 26691105
- Magriples U, Boynton MH, Kershaw TS, Lewis J, Rising SS, Tobin JN, Epel E, Ickovics JR: The impact of group prenatal care on pregnancy and postpartum weight trajectories. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Nov; 2015 Jul 9. PMID: 26164694
- Desrosiers A, Sipsma H, Divney A, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Emotion Expression and Substance Use in Newly Parenting Adolescents and Young Adults. J Clin Psychol. 2015 Jul; 2015 Mar 26. PMID: 25820614
- Angley M, Divney A, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Social support, family functioning and parenting competence in adolescent parents. Matern Child Health J. 2015 Jan. PMID: 24833286
- Gibson C, Callands TA, Magriples U, Divney A, Kershaw T: Intimate partner violence, power, and equity among adolescent parents: relation to child outcomes and parenting. Matern Child Health J. 2015 Jan. PMID: 24781878
- Albritton T, Fletcher KD, Divney A, Gordon D, Magriples U, Kershaw TS: Who's asking the important questions? Sexual topics discussed among young pregnant couples. J Behav Med. 2014 Dec; 2013 Sep 17. PMID: 24043405
- Kershaw T, Murphy A, Lewis J, Divney A, Albritton T, Magriples U, Gordon D: Family and relationship influences on parenting behaviors of young parents. J Adolesc Health. 2014 Feb; 2013 Oct 8. PMID: 24113495
- Kershaw T, Gerber R, Divney A, Albritton T, Sipsma H, Magriples U, Gordon D: Bringing your baggage to bed: associations of previous relationship experiences with sexual risk. AIDS Behav. 2014 Jan. PMID: 23086428
- Desrosiers A, Sipsma H, Callands T, Hansen N, Divney A, Magriples U, Kershaw T: "Love hurts": romantic attachment and depressive symptoms in pregnant adolescent and young adult couples. J Clin Psychol. 2014 Jan; 2013 Jun 21. PMID: 23794358
- Kershaw T, Murphy A, Divney A, Magriples U, Niccolai L, Gordon D: What's love got to do with it: Relationship functioning and mental and physical quality of life among pregnant adolescent couples. Am J Community Psychol. 2013 Dec. PMID: 24091562
- Gordon DM, Hawes SW, Reid AE, Callands TA, Magriples U, Divney A, Niccolai LM, Kershaw T: The many faces of manhood: examining masculine norms and health behaviors of young fathers across race. Am J Mens Health. 2013 Sep; 2013 Feb 11. PMID: 23403774
- Sipsma HL, Magriples U, Divney A, Gordon D, Gabzdyl E, Kershaw T: Breastfeeding behavior among adolescents: initiation, duration, and exclusivity. J Adolesc Health. 2013 Sep; 2013 May 29. PMID: 23725911
- Reid AE, Magriples U, Niccolai LM, Gordon DM, Divney AA, Kershaw TS: Associations of a sexually transmitted disease diagnosis during a relationship with condom use and psychosocial outcomes: (short) windows of opportunity. Am J Community Psychol. 2013 Jun. PMID: 23321987
- Magriples U, Boynton MH, Kershaw TS, Duffany KO, Rising SS, Ickovics JR: Blood pressure changes during pregnancy: impact of race, body mass index, and weight gain. Am J Perinatol. 2013 May; 2012 Oct 11. PMID: 23059493
- Sipsma H, Divney AA, Niccolai LM, Gordon D, Magriples U, Kershaw TS: Pregnancy desire among a sample of young couples who are expecting a baby. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2012 Dec; 2012 Oct 17. PMID: 23231332
- Kershaw T, Arnold A, Gordon D, Magriples U, Niccolai L: In the heart or in the head: relationship and cognitive influences on sexual risk among young couples. AIDS Behav. 2012 Aug. PMID: 21983692
- Divney AA, Sipsma H, Gordon D, Niccolai L, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Depression during pregnancy among young couples: the effect of personal and partner experiences of stressors and the buffering effects of social relationships. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2012 Jun. PMID: 22578481
- Kershaw TS, Arnold A, Lewis JB, Magriples U, Ickovics JR: The skinny on sexual risk: the effects of BMI on STI incidence and risk. AIDS Behav. 2011 Oct. PMID: 20976536
- Ickovics JR, Reed E, Magriples U, Westdahl C, Schindler Rising S, Kershaw TS: Effects of group prenatal care on psychosocial risk in pregnancy: results from a randomised controlled trial. Psychol Health. 2011 Feb. PMID: 21318932
- Gould Rothberg BE, Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Ickovics JR: Gestational weight gain and subsequent postpartum weight loss among young, low-income, ethnic minority women. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Jan; 2010 Oct 25. PMID: 20974459
- Kershaw TS, Magriples U, Westdahl C, Rising SS, Ickovics J: Pregnancy as a window of opportunity for HIV prevention: effects of an HIV intervention delivered within prenatal care. Am J Public Health. 2009 Nov; 2009 Sep 17. PMID: 19762662
- Forray A, Mayes LC, Magriples U, Epperson CN: Prevalence of post-traumatic stress disorder in pregnant women with prior pregnancy complications. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2009 Jun. PMID: 19488936
- Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Westdahl C, Ickovics JR: The effects of obesity and weight gain in young women on obstetric outcomes. Am J Perinatol. 2009 May; 2008 Dec 11. PMID: 19085680
- Liu Y, Freitas Rda S, Magriples U, Persing JA, Shin JH: Fetal diagnosis of cleft lip: natural history and outcomes. J Craniofac Surg. 2008 Sep. PMID: 18812841
- Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Massey Z, Ickovics JR: Prenatal health care beyond the obstetrics service: utilization and predictors of unscheduled care. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Jan. PMID: 18166312
- Ickovics JR, Kershaw TS, Westdahl C, Magriples U, Massey Z, Reynolds H, Rising SS: Group prenatal care and perinatal outcomes: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Aug. PMID: 17666608
- Magriples U, Ozcan T, Karne A, Copel JA: The effect of anticoagulation on antenatal ultrasound findings in pregnant women with thrombophilia. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2006 Jan. PMID: 16492587
- Forsyth BW, Barringer SR, Walls TA, Landry ML, Ferguson D, Tinghitella TJ, Unfricht M, Luchansky E, Magriples U: Rapid HIV testing of women in labor: too long a delay. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004 Feb 1. PMID: 14722447
- Klein R, Howe JG, Magriples U, McPhedran P: Eclampsia in a woman homozygous for the prothrombin G20210A mutation. Thromb Haemost. 2004 Jan. PMID: 14691588
- Ickovics JR, Kershaw TS, Westdahl C, Rising SS, Klima C, Reynolds H, Magriples U: Group prenatal care and preterm birth weight: results from a matched cohort study at public clinics. Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Nov. PMID: 14672486