As a physician-scientist, Dr. Seli's primary focus is to understand and treat infertility. His laboratory characterized the mechanisms regulating translational activation of gene expression in the oocyte. Dr. Seli and his colleagues also made seminal contributions to our understanding of oocyte and embryo competence in IVF and the potential role of non-invasive diagnostic technologies in this context. Dr. Seli is the recipient of many National Institutes of Health (NIH) and pharmaceutical industry-sponsored research grants. He has trained more than 50 pre- and post-doctoral fellows, published more than 100 scientific articles, and received numerous research awards, including the Ira and Ester Rosenwaks New Investigator Award from the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), and the President’s Achievement Award from the Society for Reproductive Investigation (SRI). Dr. Seli’s current research focuses on determinants of oocyte and embryo health, and mechanisms of ovarian ageing.
Extensive Research Description
For detailed information regarding research in Seli laboratory please visit our website https://medicine.yale.edu/obgyn/drs/research/infertility/seli.aspx
- Seli E, Lalioti MD, Flaherty SM, Sakkas D, Terzi N, Steitz JA. An embryonic poly(A)-binding protein (ePAB) is expressed in mouse oocytes and early preimplantation embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102:367-72, 2005
- Vasudevan S, Seli E, Steitz JA. Metazoan oocyte and early embryo development program: a progression through translation regulatory cascades. Genes Dev 20:138-46, 2006.
- Seli E, Sakkas D, Scott R, Kwok JS, Rosendahl S, Burns DH. Non-Invasive metabolomic profiling of human embryo culture media using Raman and near infrared spectroscopy correlates with reproductive potential of embryos in women undergoing in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 88:1350-7, 2007.
- Seli E, Yaba A, Guzeloglu-Kayisli O, Lalioti MD. Alternative splicing of the mouse embryonic poly(A) binding protein (ePAB) RNA is regulated by an exonic splicing enhancer: a model for post-transcriptional control of gene expression in the oocyte. Mol Hum Reprod 14:393-8, 2008.
- Seli E, Botros L, Sakkas D, Burns DH. Non-invasive metabolomic profiling of embryo culture media using proton NMR correlates with reproductive potential of embryos in women undergoing in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 90:2183-9, 2008
- Guzeloglu-Kayisli O, Pauli SA, Demir H, Lalioti MD, Sakkas D, Seli E. Identification and characterization of human embryonic poly(A) binding protein (ePAB). Mol Hum Reprod 14:581-8, 2008.
- Botros L, Sakkas D, Seli E. Metabolomics and its application for non-invasive embryo assessment in IVF. Mol Hum Reprod 14:679-90, 2008.
- Seli E, Vergouw CG, Kato O, Botros L, Roos P, Morita H, Lambalk CB, Yamashita N, Sakkas D. Metabolomic profiling as an adjunct to morphology for non-invasive embryo assessment in women undergoing single embryo transfer. Fertil Steril, 94:535-42, 2010.
- Seli E, Robert C, and Sirard M-A. OMICS in assisted reproduction: possibilities and pitfalls. Mol Hum Reprod, 16:513-30, 2010.
- Karipcin S, Altun T, Kayisli UA, Guzel E, Kallen CB, Seli E. The mRNA-binding protein HuR is regulated in the menstrual cycle and repressed in ectopic endometrium. Reprod Sci, 18:145-55, 2011.
- Friend JK, Brook ML, Bezirci FB, Sheets MD, Gray NR, Seli E. Dynamic phosphorylation of embryonic poly(A)-binding protein (ePAB) is required for Xenopus oocyte maturation. Biochem J, 445:93-100, 2012.
- Guzeloglu-Kayisli O, Lalioti MD, Sasson I, Aydiner F, Sakkas D, Seli E. Embryonic poly(A) binding protein (EPAB) is required for oocyte maturation and female fertility in mouse. Biochem J, 446:47-58, 2012.
- Brahma PK, Murray BS, Shu F, Sidell N, Seli E, Kallen CB. The mRNA-binding protein Zfp36 is up-regulated by b-adrenergic stimulation and represses IL-6 production in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Obesity, 20:40-7, 2012.
- Zhang H, Taylor WR, Joseph G, Sidell N, Seli E, Kallen CB. mRNA-binding protein ZFP36 is expressed in atherosclerotic lesions and reduces inflammation in human aortic endothelial cells. Arterioscl Thromb Vasc Biol, 33:1212-20 2013.
- Torrealday S, Lalioti MD, Guzeloglu-Kayisli O, Seli E. Characterization of the Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Receptor (GnRHR) expression and activity in the Female Mouse Ovary. Endocrinology, 154:3877-87, 2013.
- Guzeloglu-Kayisli O, Lalioti MD, Babayev E, Torrealday S, Karakaya C, Seli E. Human embryonic poly(A) binding protein (EPAB) alternative splicing is differentially regulated in human oocytes and embryos. Mol Hum Reprod, 20(1):59-65, 2014.
- Ozturk S, Guzeloglu-Kayisli O, Lowther K, Lalioti MD, Sakkas D, Seli E. Epab is dispensable for Spermatogenesis and Male Fertility in Mice. Mol Reprod Dev, 81:390, 2014.
- Gerasimova T, Thanasoula M, Zattas D, Seli E, Sakkas D, Lalioti MD. Identification and in vitro characterization of Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) Receptor variants associated with abnormal ovarian response to FSH. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 95:529-36, 2010.
- Karakaya C, Guzeloglu-Kayisli O, Hobbs R, Gerasimova T, Uyar A, Erdem M, Oktem M, Erdem A, Gumuslu S, Ercan D, Sakkas D, Comizzoli P, Seli E, Lalioti MD. Follicle stimulating hormone receptor (FSHR) alternative skipping of exon 2 or 3 affects ovarian response to FSH. Mol Hum Reprod, 20:630-43 2014.
- Karalok HM, Aydin E, Saglam O, Torun A, Guzeloglu-Kayisli O, Lalioti MD, Kristansson H, Duke CMP, Choe G, Flannery C, Kallen CB, Seli E. The expression of mRNA-binding protein TIA-1 is down-regulated in ectopic endometrium. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 99:E2610-9, 2014.
- Seli E, Babayev E, Collins SC, Nemeth G, Horvath TL. Metabolism of female reproduction: Regulatory mechanisms and clinical implications. Mol Endo, 28:790-804, 2014.
- Karakaya C, Guzeloglu-Kayisli O, Uyar A, Kallen AN, Babayev E, Bozkurt N, Unsal E, Karabacak O, Seli E. Poor ovarian response in women undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF) is associated with altered micro RNA expression in cumulus cells. Fertil Steril, 103:1469-76, 2015.
- Yang C, Lowther KM, Lalioti MD, Seli E. Embryonic poly(A)-binding protein (EPAB) is required for EGF signaling and cumulus expansion in female mice. Endocrinology, 157:405-16, 2015.
- Babayev E, Seli E. Oocyte mitochondrial function and reproduction. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol, 27:175-81, 2015.
- Ata B, Seli E. Strategies for controlled ovarian stimulation in the setting of ovarian ageing. Semin Reprod Med, 33:436-48, 2015.
- Cil AP, Turkgeldi L, Seli E. Oocyte cryopreservation as a preventive measure for age-related fertility loss. Semin Reprod Med, 33:429-35, 2015.
- Seli E. Ovarian ageing. Semin Reprod Med, 33:375-6, 2015.
- Babayev E, Favero, F, Lalioti MD, Seli E. Cross-talk between FSH and endoplasmic reticulum stress: a mutually suppressive relationship. Reprod Sci, 23:352-64, 2016.
- Seli E. Mitochondrial DNA as a biomarker for in vitro fertilization (IVF) outcome. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol, 28:158-63, 2016.
- Babayev E, Wang T, Szigeti-Buck K, Lowther K, Taylor HS, Horvath T, Seli E. Aging is associated with changes in mitochondrial dynamics, function and mtDNA quantity. Maturitas, Epub June 23, 2016.