Dr. Taylor's lab studies Reproductive Endocrinology with a focus on endometrial pathophysiology. Ongoing research focuses on the role of genetics, epigenetics, environmental disruptors in endometrial health and disease as well as stem cells in endometrial repair and tissue engineering
(1) Endometriosis: The Taylor lab has been studying genetics and epigenetics of endometriosis as well as the role of endocrine disruptors and stem cells in the development of this disease. Novel biomarkers and therapies for this disease are active areas of investigation.
(2) Endometrial Receptivity and Infertility: Endometriosis, Asherman’s syndrome, and Leiomyoma are major causes for infertility. The laboratory has identified several mechanisms responsible for altered receptivity and infertility as well as potential therapies.
(3) Uterine Development: We have identified a role for HOX genes in the developmental patterning of the uterus. We currently study the molecular regulation of uterine development as well as the effects of environmental agents on the developmental programming.
(4) Uterine Stem Cells and Tissue Engineering: We have identified stem cells in the murine and human endometrium. Endogenous progenitor cells as well as bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells contribute to endometrial regeneration. In addition, we have identified a multipotent mesenchymal stem cell population in the endometrium. These cells are can be isolated and useful in tissue engineering. This readily available and immunologically matched source of cells holds great therapeutic promise for women.
(5) Menopause: We have conducted clinical and translational studies on the role of estrogens, progestins and SERMs in menopausal women. A particular interest of our group is the effects of these agents on the uterus, skin, heart and brain.
Anita O'Keeffe Young Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences and Professor of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
Chair of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Yale School of Medicine
Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yale-New Haven Hospital
Endometriosis; Infertility; Menopause; Menstruation Disturbances
Naqvi H, Mamillapalli R, Krikun G, Taylor HS: Endometriosis Located Proximal to or Remote From the Uterus Differentially Affects Uterine Gene Expression. Reprod Sci. 2016 Feb; 2015 Oct 28. PMID: 26516123
Parker W, Berek JS, Pritts E, Olive D, Kaunitz AM, Chalas E, Clarke-Pearson D, Goff B, Bristow R, Taylor HS, Farias-Eisner R, Fader AN, Maxwell GL, Goodwin SC, Love S, Gibbons WE, Foshag LJ, Leppert PC, Norsigian J, Nager CW, Johnson T, Guzick DS, As-Sanie S, Paulson RJ, Farquhar C, Bradley L, Scheib SA, Bilchik AJ, Rice LW, Dionne C, Jacoby A, Ascher-Walsh C, Kilpatrick SJ, Adamson GD, Siedhoff M, Israel R, Fidela Paraiso M, Frumovitz MM, Lurain JR, Al-Hendy A, Benrubi GI, Raman SS, Kho RM, Anderson TL, Reynolds RK, DeLancey J: An Open Letter to the Food and Drug Administration Regarding the Use of Morcellation Procedures in Women Having Surgery for Presumed Uterine Myomas. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2016 Jan 8; 2016 Jan 8. PMID: 26773577
Zhou J, Yang L, Zhong T, Mueller M, Men Y, Zhang N, Xie J, Giang K, Chung H, Sun X, Lu L, Carmichael GG, Taylor HS, Huang Y: H19 lncRNA alters DNA methylation genome wide by regulating S-adenosylhomocysteine hydrolase. Nat Commun. 2015 Dec 21; 2015 Dec 21. PMID: 26687445
Yang H, Kang K, Cheng C, Mamillapalli R, Taylor HS: Integrative Analysis Reveals Regulatory Programs in Endometriosis. Reprod Sci. 2015 Sep; 2015 Jun 30. PMID: 26134036
Hufnagel D, Li F, Cosar E, Krikun G, Taylor HS: The Role of Stem Cells in the Etiology and Pathophysiology of Endometriosis. Semin Reprod Med. 2015 Sep; 2015 Sep 16. PMID: 26375413
Wenner MM, Taylor HS, Stachenfeld NS: Peripheral Microvascular Vasodilatory Response to Estradiol and Genistein in Women with Insulin Resistance. Microcirculation. 2015 Jul. PMID: 25996650
Wang X, Mamillapalli R, Mutlu L, Du H, Taylor HS: Chemoattraction of bone marrow-derived stem cells towards human endometrial stromal cells is mediated by estradiol regulated CXCL12 and CXCR4 expression. Stem Cell Res. 2015 Jul; 2015 Apr 24. PMID: 25957946
Ghazal S, McKinnon B, Zhou J, Mueller M, Men Y, Yang L, Mueller M, Flannery C, Huang Y, Taylor HS: H19 lncRNA alters stromal cell growth via IGF signaling in the endometrium of women with endometriosis. EMBO Mol Med. 2015 Jun 18; 2015 Jun 18. PMID: 26089099
Mutlu L, Hufnagel D, Taylor HS: The endometrium as a source of mesenchymal stem cells for regenerative medicine. Biol Reprod. 2015 Jun; 2015 Apr 22. PMID: 25904012
Cho S, Mutlu L, Grechukhina O, Taylor HS: Circulating microRNAs as potential biomarkers for endometriosis. Fertil Steril. 2015 May; 2015 Mar 13. PMID: 25772772
Taylor HS: The role of EMX2 in uterine development. Fertil Steril. 2015 Mar; 2015 Jan 27. PMID: 25637477
Doherty LF, Taylor HS: Leiomyoma-derived transforming growth factor-β impairs bone morphogenetic protein-2-mediated endometrial receptivity. Fertil Steril. 2015 Mar; 2015 Jan 14. PMID: 25596622
Wolff EF, Mutlu L, Massasa EE, Elsworth JD, Eugene Redmond D Jr, Taylor HS: Endometrial stem cell transplantation in MPTP- exposed primates: an alternative cell source for treatment of Parkinson's disease. J Cell Mol Med. 2015 Jan; 2014 Oct 6. PMID: 25283241
Naqvi H, Sakr S, Presti T, Krikun G, Komm B, Taylor HS: Treatment with bazedoxifene and conjugated estrogens results in regression of endometriosis in a murine model. Biol Reprod. 2014 Jun; 2014 Apr 16. PMID: 24740602
Santen RJ, Kagan R, Altomare CJ, Komm B, Mirkin S, Taylor HS: Current and evolving approaches to individualizing estrogen receptor-based therapy for menopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Mar; 2014 Jan 1. PMID: 24423357
Kanimozhi V, Palanivel K, Kadalmani B, Krikun G, Taylor HS: Apolipoprotein E Induction in Syrian Hamster Testis Following Tributyltin Exposure: A Potential Mechanism of Male Infertility. Reprod Sci. 2014 Feb 10; 2014 Feb 10. PMID: 24516040
Macer ML, Taylor HS: Endometriosis and infertility: a review of the pathogenesis and treatment of endometriosis-associated infertility. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2012 Dec. PMID: 23182559
Taylor HS, Ohleth K: Using bazedoxifene plus conjugated estrogens for treating postmenopausal women: a comprehensive review. Menopause. 2012 Apr. PMID: 22278343
Petracco R, Grechukhina O, Popkhadze S, Massasa E, Zhou Y, Taylor HS: MicroRNA 135 regulates HOXA10 expression in endometriosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Dec; 2011 Sep 28. PMID: 21956427
Zhou Y, Jorgensen EM, Gan Y, Taylor HS: Cigarette smoke increases progesterone receptor and homeobox A10 expression in human endometrium and endometrial cells: a potential role in the decreased prevalence of endometrial pathology in smokers. Biol Reprod. 2011 Jun; 2011 Feb 16. PMID: 21325691