In Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM)
- Drs. Edward Hon and Orvan Hess - Invented fetal heart monitor.
- Drs. John Hobbins and Peter Grannum - Pioneered the art and science of prenatal diagnosis and fetal therapy.
- Dr. Roberto Romero - Made crucial contributions in discerning the pathogenesis of prematurity.
- Drs. Al Reece and Donald Coustan - Uncovered the basic mechanisms leading to diabetic embryopathy and fetopathy, respectively.
- Dr. Edith Jackson Rooming-in.
- Drs. Joshua Copel and Charles Kleinman - Pioneered fetal echocardiography and the management of fetal arrhythmias.
- Dr. Charles Lockwood - Helped discover the first biochemical predictor of prematurity and the first ultrasound biometric screen for fetal Down syndrome.
- Dr. Gian Carlo Mari - Discovery of MCA Doppler to diagnose Fetal Anemia.
In Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI)
- Drs. Speroff, Glass and Kase - Rendered sensible the field of clinical reproductive endocrinology through their outstanding textbook; developed ovulation induction.
- Dr. Alan DeCherney - Improved upon the diagnosis and treatment of ectopic pregnancy and endometriosis.
- Dr. Charles Lockwood - Described the hemostatic mechanisms underlying menstruation and abnormal uterine bleeding.
The Department spawned an extraordinary number of current or former chairs of departments of Ob/Gyn from among its former faculty, fellows and residents:
Chairs of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Dr. Richard Berkowitz - Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Dr. Frank Chervenak - Cornell University
- Dr. Donald Coustan - Brown University
- Dr. Alan DeCherney - Tufts University and the Univ. of California at Los Angeles
- Dr. Philip DiSaia - University of California Irvine
- Dr. David Gershenson - MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Dr. Robert Goldenberg - University of Alabama-Birmingham
- Dr. John Grossman - George Washington University
- Dr. Chaur-Dong Hsu – Nassau University Medical Center
- Dr. Nathan Kase - Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
- Dr. David Keefe - New York University Langone Medical Center
- Dr. Jack Larsen - George Washington University
- Dr. Phyllis Leppert - SUNY Buffalo, currently Vice Chair, Duke University
- Dr. Charles Lockwood – NYU, Yale University
- Dr. Giancarlo Mari - University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine
- Dr. Luigi Mastroianni, Jr. – University of Pennsylvania
- Dr. Frederick Naftolin - Yale University
- Dr. Errol Norwitz - Tufts University School of Medicine and Tufts Medical Center
- Dr. Mary Lake Polan – Stanford University
- Dr. Edward J. Quilligan - Yale, U. of Wisconsin, and U.C. Davis
- Dr. E. Albert Reece - Temple University
- Dr. Robert Resnik - University of California at San Diego
- Dr. Leon Speroff - Case Western Reserve University
- Dr. Hugh Taylor - Yale University
- Dr. Alan Weingold - George Washington University
- Dr. Hung Winn - University of Missouri
Five of the Department's former faculty were named deans of schools of medicine:
- Dr. Nathan Kase - Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Dr. Edward Quilligan - Dean and Vice Chancellor, University of California Irvine
- Dr. E. Albert Reece - University of Arkansas, Currently Dean of University of Maryland
- Dr. Robert Grossman – George Washington University
- Dr. Charles J. Lockwood - The Ohio State University College of Medicine
Five former faculty members who hold or held important positions at the National Institutes of Health:
- Dr. Alan DeCherney
- Dr. Florence Haseltine
- Dr. Phyllis Leppert
- Dr. Roberto Romero
- Dr. Pamela Stratton
This tradition continues today led by outstanding physicians in all the subspecialties including:
- Joshua Copel - Vice Chair and Director of Fetal Echocardiography
- Catalin Buhimschi - Interim Section Chief, Maternal-Fetal Medicine Section
- Mike Paidas - Recurrent Pregnancy Loss program
- Hugh Taylor - Director, Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility Section, Director of Yale Center for Endometrium and Endometriosis Center Grant
- Pasquale Patrizio - REI Practice Director, Yale Fertility Center
- Thomas Rutherford - Director, Gyn Oncology Section
- Peter Schwartz - Vice Chair of Gynecology
- Michael Paidas - Director, Program for Thrombosis and Hemostasis in Women's Health
Our physicians consistently named New York and Connecticut Magazine Best Doctors
- Masoud Azodi
- Joshua Copel
- Urania Magriples
- Michael Paidas
- Pasquale Patrizio
- Thomas Rutherford
- Alessandro Santin
- Peter Schwartz
- Hugh Taylor
Our reproductive scientists and clinical investigators are highly productive researchers.
- We have over $8.5 million in annual NIH grant support.
- We rank in the top 4 among University departments of Ob/Gyn nationwide in total NIH-awarded grant dollars.
We provide an outstanding and highly competitive residency program, our clerkship program for medical students is the top ranked clerkship at Yale, and our full complement of ABOG-approved fellowships combine excellent clinical training with premier research opportunities in the laboratories of our reproductive scientists. We actively sponsor training programs for Reproductive Physician Scientists, including 3 Women's Reproductive Health Research (NIH K-12) Scholars and an AAOGF-SMFM scholar.