Mental Health Services; Personality Disorders; Public Policy; Social Isolation; Social Justice; Community Networks; Schizophrenia and Disorders with Psychotic Features; Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
My research focuses on health equity. One research line investigates stigma in health care, structural stigma, stigma in the community, and self-stigma including interventions to reduce stigma in health care providers and the community. Another research line investigates health disparities in the Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addication Services (DMHAS) and interventions to address these disparities. I have received funding from the NIMH and private foundations to conduct my research. Current projects include:
1) mixed-methods research (quantitative-qualitative) investigating stigma and discrimination in the Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services system.
2) investigating the impact of "Recovery Speaks," a photovoice intervention to reduce stigma in healthcare and the community.
3) mixed method research investigating disparities in access, treatment engagement, and health outcomes for people who receive services from the Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services.
4) evaluating system-level interventions to eliminate health disparities in CT DMHAS including staff training and workforce development
The Cycle of Classification: DSM-I through DSM-5.
Blashfield, R.K., Keeley, J.W., Flanagan, E.H., Miles, S.R. "The Cycle of Classification: DSM-I through DSM-5." Annual review of clinical psychology. 2014. 10:25-51.
- "I never really discuss that with my clinician”: U.S. Consumer perspectives on the place of culture in behavioural health care Delphin-Rittmon, M., Bellamy, C., Ridgway, P., Guy, K., Ortiz, J., Flanagan, E.H., Davidson, L. “I never really discuss that with my clinician”: U.S. Consumer perspectives on the place of culture in behavioural health care. Diversity in Health and Care. 2013. :143-154.
Considering DSM-5: The personal experience of schizophrenia in relationship to the DSM-IV-TR criteria
Flanagan, E.H., Solomon, L.A., Johnson, A., Ridgeway, P., Strauss, J., & Davidson, L. Considering DSM-5: The personal experience of schizophrenia in relationship to the DSM-IV-TR criteria. Psychiatry. 2012. 75:375-386.
Racial-ethnic differences in referral source, diagnosis, and length of stay in inpatient substance abuse treatment
Delphin-Rittmon, M., Andres-Hyman, R., Flanagan, E.H., Ortiz, J., Amer, M.M., & Davidson, L. Racial-ethnic differences in referral source, diagnosis, and length of stay in inpatient substance abuse treatment. Psychiatric Services. 2012. 63:612-615.
"Unfortunately, we treat the chart": sources of stigma in mental health settings
Flanagan E.H., Miller R.M., & Davidson L. "Unfortunately, we treat the chart": sources of stigma in mental health settings. Psychiatric Quarterly. 2009, 80:55-64.
An alternative hierarchical organization of the mental disorders of DSM-IV
Flanagan, E.H., Keeley, J., & Blashfield, R.K. (2008). An alternative hierarchical organization of the mental disorders of DSM-IV. Journal of Abnormal Psychology. 117, 693-698.
Issues for DSM-V: Incorporating patients' subjective experiences
Flanagan, E. H., Davidson, L., & Strauss, J. S. (2007). Issues for DSM-V: Incorporating patients' subjective experiences. American Journal of Psychiatry, 164(3), 391-392.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Flanagan EH, Greig A, Tharnish S, Boynton E, Cruza-Guet MC, Davidson L, Delphin-Rittmon ME: An Evaluation of Racial and Ethnic Health Differences in State Mental Health Inpatient Services: 2002-2005 Versus 2010-2011. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2017 Apr. PMID: 28000013
- O'Connell MJ, Flanagan EH, Delphin-Rittmon ME, Davidson L: Enhancing outcomes for persons with co-occurring disorders through skills training and peer recovery support. J Ment Health. 2017 Mar 10; 2017 Mar 10. PMID: 28282996
- Keeley JW, Webb C, Peterson D, Roussin L, Flanagan EH: Development of a Response Inconsistency Scale for the Personality Inventory for DSM-5. J Pers Assess. 2016 Jul-Aug; 2016 Apr 6. PMID: 27049169
- Flanagan EH, Buck T, Gamble A, Hunter C, Sewell I, Davidson L: "Recovery Speaks": A Photovoice Intervention to Reduce Stigma Among Primary Care Providers. Psychiatr Serv. 2016 May 1; 2016 Jan 14. PMID: 26766754
- Delphin-Rittmon ME, Flanagan EH, Bellamy CD, Diaz A, Johnson K, Molta V, Williamson B, Cruza-Guet MC, Ortiz J: Learning from those we serve: Piloting a culture competence intervention co-developed by university faculty and persons in recovery. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2016 Mar; 2015 Nov 16. PMID: 26571094
- Delphin-Rittmon ME, Flanagan EH, Andres-Hyman R, Ortiz J, Amer MM, Davidson L: Racial-ethnic differences in access, diagnosis, and outcomes in public-sector inpatient mental health treatment. Psychol Serv. 2015 May. PMID: 25961650
- Delphin-Rittmon ME, Andres-Hyman R, Flanagan EH, Davidson L: Seven essential strategies for promoting and sustaining systemic cultural competence. Psychiatr Q. 2013 Mar. PMID: 22581030
- Delphin-Rittmon M, Andres-Hyman R, Flanagan EH, Ortiz J, Amer MM, Davidson L: Racial-ethnic differences in referral source, diagnosis, and length of stay in inpatient substance abuse treatment. Psychiatr Serv. 2012 Jun. PMID: 22422017
- Flanagan EH, Solomon LA, Johnson A, Ridgway P, Strauss JS, Davidson L: Considering DSM-5: the personal experience of schizophrenia in relation to the DSM-IV-TR criteria. Psychiatry. 2012 Winter. PMID: 23244014
- Flanagan EH, Davidson L, Strauss JS: The Need for Patient-Subjective Data in the DSM and the ICD. Psychiatry. 2010 Winter. PMID: 21198379
- Flanagan EH, Davidson L: Passing for "normal": features that affect the community inclusion of people with mental illness. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2009 Summer. PMID: 19592375
- Ahn WK, Proctor CC, Flanagan EH: Mental Health Clinicians' Beliefs About the Biological, Psychological, and Environmental Bases of Mental Disorders. Cogn Sci. 2009 Mar. PMID: 20411158
- Flanagan EH, Miller R, Davidson L: "Unfortunately, we treat the chart:" sources of stigma in mental health settings. Psychiatr Q. 2009 Mar; 2009 Feb 4. PMID: 19191027
- Flanagan EH, Keeley J, Blashfield RK: An alternative hierarchical organization of the mental disorders of the DSM-IV. J Abnorm Psychol. 2008 Aug. PMID: 18729621
- Flanagan EH, Davidson L: "Schizophrenics," "borderlines," and the lingering legacy of misplaced concreteness: an examination of the persistent misconception that the DSM classifies people instead of disorders. Psychiatry. 2007 Summer. PMID: 17661537
- Ahn WK, Flanagan EH, Marsh JK, Sanislow CA: Beliefs about essences and the reality of mental disorders. Psychol Sci. 2006 Sep. PMID: 16984292
- Flanagan EH, Blashfield RK: Gender acts as a context for interpreting diagnostic criteria. J Clin Psychol. 2005 Dec. PMID: 16173082
- Flanagan EH, Blashfield RK: Gender bias in the diagnosis of personality disorders: the roles of base rates and social stereotypes. J Pers Disord. 2003 Oct. PMID: 14632376