Overview and Schedule
The second year of neurology training is directed toward focused training in key areas of neurology. Three months of pediatric neurology are required during all adult neurology residency programs, providing in-depth exposure to this population of patient. A three month block of elective time allows the residents to tailor their training with either specialized clinical or research rotations. Many residents divide time between neuropathology and neuroradiology, or pursue basic science or clinical research projects.
The following represents a typical PGY3 schedule.
- VAMC rotation: 2 blocks. Similar rotation as in the PGY-2 year, but with increased responsibility.
- Pediatric Neurology: 1-2 blocks. Residents are supervised by Pediatric Neurology faculty, and provide consultations for patients on the Pediatrics ward, Newborn Special Care Unit, Pediatric ICU and Pediatric Emergency Room. Residents also attend ½ day clinics an average of 5 times per week
- Emergency Neurology: 1 block. Same rotation as during the PGY-2 year.
- Epilepsy: 1 block. Same rotation as during the PGY-2 year.
- Neuromuscular Medicine: 1 block. Same rotation as during the PGY-2 year.
- Elective: 3 blocks. Residents are provided mentoring by the Program Director, Chairman, and other faculty members to select 3 months of electives in each of their last two years. Residents are encouraged to obtain intensive exposure to neuropathology, neuroradiology, neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, or other fields related to neurology. Many residents spend time pursuing a clinical or basic science research project in collaboration with a faculty member in Neurology or other department at Yale University, and many of these projects culminate in presentations at national meetings. In some cases, PGY-3 electives may be taken off-campus.
- Night Float: 2 block. Same rotation as during the PGY-2 year except PGY-3 residents are Consult Night-Float for the first-half of the year and Inpatient Night-Float for the second-half..
- Jeopardy/Float: 2 block. Same rotation as during the PGY-2 year.
- Subspecialty Clinic Rotation: 1 block. Same rotation as during the PGY-2 year.
- Second Consult: 1 block. Same rotation as during PGY-3 year.
- Continuity Clinics: PGY-3 residents continue to attend continuity clinic at the VA and Yale an average of 1 time per week.