Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; Hematologic Diseases; HIV; Mortality; Neurology; Patient Readmission; Veterans; Sleep Apnea, Obstructive; Stroke
As a health services research and implementation scientist, my research falls under two domains: improving post-ischemic stroke vascular risk factor management and investigating how medical comorbidities among ischemic stroke patients may be both novel stroke risk factors and adversely affect outcomes (e.g., mortality and readmission rates). Several areas that I am active examining include: the use implementation science strategies and Lean Six Sigma approaches to improve the delivery of guideline-concordant post-stroke vascular risk factor management, understanding the culture of communication and collaboration between neurologists and primary care providers in post-stroke care, identifying barriers and facilitators to the delivery of high-quality stroke care, the role of HIV and stroke risk in the era of combined anti-retroviral therapy, hematologic abnormalities associated with higher mortality rates among stroke patients, and addressing cardiac screening in this high risk vascular population.
Specialized Terms: Ischemic stroke; Implementation Science; Lean Six Sigma/Systems Redesign; Health services research; Outcomes based research; Vascular Risk Factor Management; Obstructive sleep apnea; HIV/AIDS; Neuropathy
Extensive Research Description
- HIV and Ischemic Stroke in the era of combined antiretroviral therapy
- HIV and Hemorraghic Stroke in the era of combined antiretroviral therapy
- Cardiovascular Screening among Stroke Patients
- HIV Neuropathy
- Statins and Cerebrovascular Disease among those with HIV
- Thrombocytopenia and Ischemic Stroke Mortality
- Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Stroke Patients
- Thrombocytopenia and in-hospital mortality risk among ischemic stroke patients. Sico JJ, Phipps MS, Concato J, Wells CK, Lo AC, Nadeau SE, Williams LS, Peixoto AJ, Gorman M, Boice JL, Bravata DM. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013 Oct;22(7):e99-e102. doi: 10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2012.08.005. Epub 2012 Sep 10.