Brain Injuries; Delirium; Neurology; Neurosciences; Status Epilepticus; Subarachnoid Hemorrhage; Stroke
Center for Neuroepidemiology and Clinical Neurological Research
My research to date has focused on the use of continuous EEG (cEEG) monitoring in patients with severe brain injury, either secondary to a primary brain process or as a manifestions of systemic disease.
My most recent project was a prospective study in Medical ICU patients with severe sepsis who were connected to EEG monitoring. Patients with severe sepsis are at an increased risk of developing frank seizures and abnormal brain wave patterns that represent an increased risk for developing seizures. Our goal was to assess the incidence of seizures and abnormal brain wave patterns as well as the effect of such findings on short and long-term outcomes in this population.
I have also authored chapters on neuromonitoring and have experience with multimodalty monitoring, which involves using information from probes placed in the acutely injured brain of comatose patients to guide medical management.
Specialized Terms: Neurocritical Care; Neuromonitoring; Cerebral Multimodality Monitoring; Status Epilepticus; Traumatic Brain Injury; Subarachnoid Hemorrhage; Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Stroke; Sepsis Associated Brain Dysfunction; Encephalopathy; Delirium
Extensive Research Description
I am a sub-investigator on the following clinical trials:
GAMES - study of IV glyburide for cerebral edema following acute ischemic stroke
i-DEF - study of deferoxamine mesylate for intracerebral hemorrhage
ATACH II - study of aggressive blood pressure lowering for intracerebral hemorrhage
ICTuS 2/3 - study of induced hypothermia in acute ischemic stroke
POINT - study of aspirin and clopidogrel for transient ischemic attack
- Gilmore EJ, Gaspard N, Choi HA, Cohen E, Burkart KM, Chong DH, Claassen J, Hirsch LJ. Acute brain failure in severe sepsis: A prospective study in the medical intensive care unit utilizing continuous EEG monitoring. Intensive Care Med. 2015 Apr;41(4):686-94.
- Lord AS, Gilmore E, Choi HA, Mayer SA; VISTA-ICH Collaboration. Time course and predictors of neurologic deterioration after intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke. 2015 Mar;46(3):647-52.
- Ong C, Gilmore E, Claassen J, Foreman B, Mayer SA. Impact of prolonged periodic epileptiform discharges on coma prognosis. Neurocrit Care. 2012 Aug;17(1):39-44.
- Ko SB, Choi HA, Gilmore E, Schmidt JM, Claassen J, Lee K, Mayer SA, Badjatia N. Pearls & Oysters: the effects of renal replacement therapy on cerebral autoregulation. Neurology. 2012 Feb 7;78(6):e36-8.
- Gilmore E*, Choi HA*, Hirsch LJ, Claassen J. Seizures and CNS Hemorrhage: Spontaneous Intracerebral and Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Neurologist. 2010 May;16(3):165-75.
- Choi HA, Ko SB, Presciutti M, Fernandez L. Carpenter AM, Lesch C, Gilmore E, Malhotra R, Mayer SA, Lee K, Claassen J, Schmidt JM, Badjatia N. Prevention of Shivering during Therapeutic Temperature Modulation: The Columbia Anti-Shivering Protocol. Neurocritical Care. 2011 June; 14(3): 389-9.
- Choi HA, Ko SB, Chen H, Gilmore E, Carpenter A, Lee D, Claassen J, Mayer SA, Schmidt JM, Lee K, Connelly ES, Paik M, Neeraj Badjatia. Acute Effects of Nimodipine on Cerebral Vasculature and Brain Metabolism. Submitted to Cerebrovascular Diseases.