Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences: Reproductive Neurosciences Group
My main interest is the neuroendocrine regulation of homeostasis with particular emphasis on metabolic disorders, such as obesity and diabetes, and the effect of metabolic signals on higher brain functions and neurodegeneration. We have active research programs to pursue the role of synaptic plasticity in the mediation of peripheral hormones’ effects on the central nervous system.
We also study the role of mitochondrial membrane potential in normal and pathological brain functions with particular emphasis on the acute effect of mitochondria in neuronal transmission and neuroprotection. We combine classical neurobiological approaches, including electrophysiology and neuroanatomy, with endocrine and genetic techniques to better understand biological events at the level of the organism.
- Dietrich MO, Zimmer MR, Bober J, Horvath TL (2015) Hypothalamic Agrp Neurons drive Stereotypic Behaviors Beyond Feeding. Cell 160:1222-1232. Published online March 4 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2015.02.02
- Koch M, Varela L, Kim JG, Kim JD, Hernandez F, Simonds SE, Castorena CM, Vianna CR, Elmquist JK, Morozov YM, Rakic P, Bechmann I, Cowley MA, Szigeti-Buck K, Dietrich MO, Gao X-B, Diano S, Horvath TL (2015) Hypothalamic POMC neurons promote cannabinoid-induced feeding. Nature 519(7541):45-50. doi: 10.1038/nature14260. Epub 2015 Feb 18.
- Kim JG, Suyama S, Koch M, Jin S, Argente-Arizon P, Argente J, Liu ZW, Zimmer MR, Jeong JK, Szigeti-Buck K, Gao Y, Garcia-Caceres C, Yi CX, Salmaso N, Vaccarino FM, Chowen J, Diano S, Dietrich MO, Tschöp MH, Horvath TL (2014) Leptin signaling in atsrocytes regulates hypothalamic neuronal circuits and feeding. Nature Neuroscience 17(7):908-10. doi: 10.1038/nn.3725. Epub 2014 Jun 1.
- Vogt MC, Paeger L, Hess S, Steculorum SM, Awazawa M, Hampel B, Neupert S, Nicholls HT, Mauer J, Hausen AC, Predel R, Kloppenburg P, Horvath TL, Brüning JC (2014) Neonatal insulin action impairs hypothalamic neurocircuit formation in response to maternal high fat feeding. Cell. 156:495-509.
- Dietrich MO, Liu Z-W, Horvath TL (2013) Mitochondrial dynamics controlled by mitofusins regulate Agrp neuronal activity and diet-induced obesity. Cell 155(1):188-99. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2013.09.004.