Resources for Work, Academic, and Personal Life
- Health insurance benefits are available through Yale, based on your appointment status: fellow or associate. Fellow health benefits are different from those available to Yale Associates. A Yale Postdoctoral Fellow is a postdoc who has his/her own funding, such as a fellowship. If your fellowship does not include benefits, Yale offers health plans specifically for fellows. Associates are postdocs whose salaries are paid directly by Yale, usually from funding sources of the postdoc's faculty adviser. Associates are Yale employees, and thus eligible for benefits.
- See the Yale Human Resources Benefits office for further information.
- The Yale Off-Campus Housing Office has listings for area rentals. If you are accessing the listings from a computer outside Yale, you may need a user ID and password to access the listings. Please contact the Postdoc Office for to obtain these.
- Classified rental listings are available online at www.craigslist.org.
Living in New Haven
- Yale & New Haven
- INFONewHaven offers a downtown map and guide and lists cultural events, bookstores, activities for kids, museums, etc.
- Free Yale shuttle services offer a convenient means of transportation across the New Haven area. Please visit the Yale Shuttle Services for more details.
- Parking spaces are available on a limited basis. Contact the Yale University Parking Services for information on eligibility and availability.
Employment & Tax Information
- Please visit this page for important information regarding postdoctoral income and taxes.
Resources for International Students
- Office of International Student and Scholar Life at Yale (OISS)
- Social Security: International scholars often have questions regarding obtaining a Social Security card. The Social Security Administration web site may answer some of these questions.
- Visa Information:The Yale Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) assists Yale faculty and staff in bringing international scholars to campus for a variety of purposes. The OISS advises on immigration matters, issues visa documents, and provides information and guidance on a wide range of issues such as employment of spouses, health insurance, taxes, language courses, and general information about Yale and the New Haven area.