Cell Biology; Hematology; Leukemia; Pathology; Stem Cells; Medical Laboratory Science; Gene Expression; Bone Marrow Transplantation
Stem Cell Center, Yale: Stem Cells and Tissue Repair | Tissue Specific Stem Cells
WHRY Pilot Project Program Investigators
The overall goals of my research are to characterize bone marrow (BM) derived stem/progenitor cells, and to define the mechanisms that regulate the self-renewal and differentiation of these cells with the hopes that the findings can be translated to improved therapeutics. We have 2 major foci, and we welcome graduate students to join the lab. The first is the molecular mechanism(s) regulating gene expression during normal and malignant hematopoiesis. We are using hematopoietic stem cells and human embryonic stem cells to better understand Acute Megakaryoblastic Leukemia. In vitro and in vivo cell and molecular approaches will help us to better understand hematopoiesis and leukemogenesis. The second focus is based on our discovery that BM cells can differentiate into mature epithelial cells of the lung, liver, GI tract and skin. Projects are ongoing on the functional effects of BM transplantation and to determine the cells and mechanisms responsible for this engraftment.
Specialized Terms: Bone Marrow Transplantation; Stem Cells; Cell and Molecular Hematology; Leukemia
Extensive Research Description
Hematopoiesis and leukemogenesis using bone marrow derived stem and progenitor cells Projects in the lab focus on molecular mechanisms that regulate early hematopoiesis and may be dysfunctional in leukemogenesis. Specifically, we are using primary cells as well as murine and human embryonic stem cells to study RBM15 and MKL1, two genes that are fused in the t(1;22) translocation associated with Acute Megakaryoblastic Leukemia AMKL). We are studying the roles of RBM15 and MKL1 in normal myelopoiesis and leukemogenesis. We have shown that RBM15 is downregulated as hematopoietic stem cells differentiate down the myeloid lineage such that megakaryoblasts express low levels of RBM15. When RBM15 is overexpressed, it prevents myeloid differentiation, and when RBM15 is inhibited or deleted, myeloid differentiation is enhanced, and there is a loss of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell self-renewal. RBM15 is a member of the spen family of proteins that share a C-terminal SPOC domain that bind to the nuclear corepressor complex. Consistent with other members of the SPOC domain family that can affect Notch signaling, we have shown that RBM15 represses Notch induced Hes1 promoter activity. RBM15 coimmunoprecipitates with RBPJk, a critical transcription factor in the Notch signaling pathway. Thus, RBM15 plays a role in hematopoiesis by maintaining myeloid cells in an undifferentiated state, and this activity is mediated by inhibition of Notch signaling.
MKL1, identified at the C-terminus of the t(1;22) translocation specific to acute megakaryoblastic leukemia, is highly expressed in differentiated muscle cells and promotes muscle differentiation by activating serum response factor (SRF). The Krause laboratory has shown that MKL1 expression is upregulated during murine and human megakaryocytic differentiation, and that enforced overexpression of MKL1 enhances megakaryocytic differentiation. When the Human Erythroleukemia (HEL) cell line is induced to differentiate with TPA, overexpression of MKL1 results in an increased number of megakaryocytes with a concurrent increase in ploidy. MKL1 overexpression also promotes thrombopoietin-induced megakaryocytic differentiation of primary human CD34+ cells. The effect of MKL1 is abrogated when SRF is knocked down, suggesting that MKL1 acts through SRF. Consistent with these findings in human cells, knock out of MKL1 in mice leads to reduced platelet counts, and reduced ploidy in bone marrow megakaryocytes. Thus, MKL1 promotes physiological maturation of human and murine megakaryocytes.
Differentiation of marrow-derived cells into epithelial cells The focus on plasticity is based on a very exciting discovery in the Krause laboratory that bone marrow derived cells are capable of differentiating into non-hematopoietic cells throughout the body. In 2001, we published our finding that a single bone marrow derived cell could engraft the hematopoietic system and differentiate into mature epithelial cells in mice, and in 2002, we published that the same occurs in humans. Since that time, we have focused on several important questions regarding this plasticity including which cell populations in the bone marrow are responsible for this plasticity, and how these cells are regulated. We have shown that bone marrow transplantation leads to amelioration of renal mesangial sclerosis, and we have shown that bone marrow derived cells can engraft as functional epithelial cells in the GI tract and airways of mice with cystic fibrosis. In studies to determine the mechanism(s) by which BM cells become epithelial cells, we have discovered that this involves at least 2 different mechanisms, one involving cell fusion and the other not. We hypothesize that hematopoietic cells can only take on the gene expression pattern of epithelial cells via cell fusion, but that other nonhematopoietic cells in the BM (and perhaps elsewhere), can differentiate into epithelial cells without cell fusion.
- Single cell analysis of megakaryocyte-erythroid progenitor cells
- Molecular mechanisms of megakaryocyte fate specification and differentiation
- Role of surfactant protein C in lung regeneration and repair
- Role of E-cadherin in platelet function
- URL for full list of published work in publicly available database, My Bibliography: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/diane.krause.1/bibliography/40319867/public/?sort=date&direction=ascending
Adult Human Megakaryocyte-Erythroid Progenitors are in the CD34+CD38mid Fraction.
Sanada C, Xavier-Ferrucio J, Lu Y-C, Min E, Zhang P-X, Zou S, Kang E, Zhang M, Zerafati G, Gallagher PG, Krause DS. Adult Human Megakaryocyte-Erythroid Progenitors are in the CD34+CD38mid Fraction. Blood. 2016 Aug 18;128(7):923-33. doi: 10.1182/blood-2016-01-693705. Epub 2016 Jun 6.
Non-stochastic reprogramming from a privileged somatic cell state.
Guo S, Zi X, Schulz V, Cheng J, Zhong M, Koochaki SHJ, Megyola CM, Pan X, Heydari K, Weissman SM, Gallagher PG, Krause DS, Fan R, Lu J. Non-stochastic reprogramming from a privileged somatic cell state. Cell, 2014.
Role of RhoA specific guanine exchange factors in regulation of endomitosis in megakaryocytes.
Gao,Y, Smith E, Ker E, Campbell P, Cheng E, Zou S, Lin S, Wang L, Halene S, Krause DS. Role of RhoA specific guanine exchange factors in regulation of endomitosis in megakaryocytes. Developmental Cell 22:573-84, 2012. PMID: 22387001
Serum Response Factor is an essential transcription factor in megakaryocytic maturation.
Halene S, Gao Y, Hahn K, Massaro S, Italiano JE, Lin S, Kupfer GM, Krause DS. Serum Response Factor is an essential transcription factor in megakaryocytic maturation. Blood 116:1942-1950, 2010. PMID: 20525922.
Very small embryonic-like stem cells from the murine bone marrow differentiate into epithelial cells of the lung.
Kassmer SH, Jin H, Zhang P-X, Bruscia EM, Heydari K, Lee, J-H, Kim CF, Krause DS. Very small embryonic-like stem cells from the murine bone marrow differentiate into epithelial cells of the lung. Stem Cells 2013, May 16. PMID: 23681901
Non-hematopoietic cells are the primary source of bone marrow derived lung epithelial cells.
Kassmer SH, Bruscia EM, Zhang P, Krause DS. Non-hematopoietic cells are the primary source of bone marrow derived lung epithelial cells. Stem Cells 30: 491-499, 2012. PMID: 22162244.
Megakaryoblastic leukemia 1 (MKL1) promotes megakaryocytic differentiation.
Cheng E, Luo Q, Renda MJ, Troy JA, Wang L, Tuck D, Schulz V, Mane S, Berliner N, Sun Y, Morris SW, Krause DS. Megakaryoblastic leukemia 1 (MKL1) promotes megakaryocytic differentiation. Blood 2009 113:2826-34. Epub 2009 Jan 9. PMID: 19136660.
Rbm15 modulates notch-induced transcriptional activation and affects myeloid differentiation.
Ma, X., et al. (2007). Rbm15 modulates notch-induced transcriptional activation and affects myeloid differentiation. MCB 27:3056-64.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- de Rooij JD, Branstetter C, Ma J, Li Y, Walsh MP, Cheng J, Obulkasim A, Dang J, Easton J, Verboon LJ, Mulder HL, Zimmermann M, Koss C, Gupta P, Edmonson M, Rusch M, Lim JY, Reinhardt K, Pigazzi M, Song G, Yeoh AE, Shih LY, Liang DC, Halene S, Krause DS, Zhang J, Downing JR, Locatelli F, Reinhardt D, van den Heuvel-Eibrink MM, Zwaan CM, Fornerod M, Gruber TA: Pediatric non-Down syndrome acute megakaryoblastic leukemia is characterized by distinct genomic subsets with varying outcomes. Nat Genet. 2017 Jan 23; 2017 Jan 23. PMID: 28112737
- Bahal R, Ali McNeer N, Quijano E, Liu Y, Sulkowski P, Turchick A, Lu YC, Bhunia DC, Manna A, Greiner DL, Brehm MA, Cheng CJ, López-Giráldez F, Ricciardi A, Beloor J, Krause DS, Kumar P, Gallagher PG, Braddock DT, Mark Saltzman W, Ly DH, Glazer PM: In vivo correction of anaemia in β-thalassemic mice by γPNA-mediated gene editing with nanoparticle delivery. Nat Commun. 2016 Oct 26; 2016 Oct 26. PMID: 27782131
- Zou S, Teixeira AM, Yin M, Xiang Y, Xavier-Ferrucio J, Zhang PX, Hwa J, Min W, Krause DS: Leukaemia-associated Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factor (LARG) plays an agonist specific role in platelet function through RhoA activation. Thromb Haemost. 2016 Aug 30; 2016 Jun 23. PMID: 27345948
- Sanada C, Xavier-Ferrucio J, Lu YC, Min E, Zhang PX, Zou S, Kang E, Zhang M, Zerafati G, Gallagher PG, Krause DS: Adult human megakaryocyte-erythroid progenitors are in the CD34+CD38mid fraction. Blood. 2016 Aug 18; 2016 Jun 6. PMID: 27268089
- Bartulos O, Zhuang ZW, Huang Y, Mikush N, Suh C, Bregasi A, Wang L, Chang W, Krause DS, Young LH, Pober JS, Qyang Y: ISL1 cardiovascular progenitor cells for cardiac repair after myocardial infarction. JCI Insight. 2016 Jul 7. PMID: 27525311
- Bruscia EM, Zhang PX, Barone C, Scholte BJ, Homer R, Krause DS, Egan ME: Increased susceptibility of Cftr-/- mice to LPS-induced lung remodeling. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2016 Apr 15; 2016 Feb 5. PMID: 26851259
- Krause DS: An oxidase road to platelet adhesion. Blood. 2016 Mar 17. PMID: 26989190
- Chae WJ, Ehrlich AK, Chan PY, Teixeira AM, Henegariu O, Hao L, Shin JH, Park JH, Tang WH, Kim ST, Maher SE, Goldsmith-Pestana K, Shan P, Hwa J, Lee PJ, Krause DS, Rothlin CV, McMahon-Pratt D, Bothwell AL: The Wnt Antagonist Dickkopf-1 Promotes Pathological Type 2 Cell-Mediated Inflammation. Immunity. 2016 Feb 16; 2016 Feb 9. PMID: 26872695
- Sui Z, Nowak RB, Sanada C, Halene S, Krause DS, Fowler VM: Regulation of actin polymerization by tropomodulin-3 controls megakaryocyte actin organization and platelet biogenesis. Blood. 2015 Jul 23; 2015 May 11. PMID: 25964668
- Zhang PX, Cheng J, Zou S, D'Souza AD, Koff JL, Lu J, Lee PJ, Krause DS, Egan ME, Bruscia EM: Pharmacological modulation of the AKT/microRNA-199a-5p/CAV1 pathway ameliorates cystic fibrosis lung hyper-inflammation. Nat Commun. 2015 Feb 10; 2015 Feb 10. PMID: 25665524
- Halene S, Krause DS: Stem cell maintenance: aMPLe splicing choices. Blood. 2015 Feb 5. PMID: 25655452
- Bleakley M, Heimfeld S, Jones LA, Turtle C, Krause D, Riddell SR, Shlomchik W: Engineering human peripheral blood stem cell grafts that are depleted of naïve T cells and retain functional pathogen-specific memory T cells. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2014 May; 2014 Feb 11. PMID: 24525279
- Guo S, Zi X, Schulz VP, Cheng J, Zhong M, Koochaki SH, Megyola CM, Pan X, Heydari K, Weissman SM, Gallagher PG, Krause DS, Fan R, Lu J: Nonstochastic reprogramming from a privileged somatic cell state. Cell. 2014 Feb 13; 2014 Jan 30. PMID: 24486105
- Kassmer SH, Jin H, Zhang PX, Bruscia EM, Heydari K, Lee JH, Kim CF, Kassmer SH, Krause DS: Very small embryonic-like stem cells from the murine bone marrow differentiate into epithelial cells of the lung. Stem Cells. 2013 Dec. PMID: 23681901
- Krause DS, Crispino JD: Molecular pathways: induction of polyploidy as a novel differentiation therapy for leukemia. Clin Cancer Res. 2013 Nov 15; 2013 Aug 20. PMID: 23963861
- Lawton BR, Sosa JA, Roman S, Krause DS: Effect of a matrigel sandwich on endodermal differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cell Rev. 2013 Oct. PMID: 23719997
- Kassmer SH, Krause DS: Very small embryonic-like cells: biology and function of these potential endogenous pluripotent stem cells in adult tissues. Mol Reprod Dev. 2013 Aug; 2013 Apr 4. PMID: 23440892
- Zhang PX, Murray TS, Villella VR, Ferrari E, Esposito S, D'Souza A, Raia V, Maiuri L, Krause DS, Egan ME, Bruscia EM: Reduced caveolin-1 promotes hyperinflammation due to abnormal heme oxygenase-1 localization in lipopolysaccharide-challenged macrophages with dysfunctional cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator. J Immunol. 2013 May 15; 2013 Apr 19. PMID: 23606537
- Megyola CM, Gao Y, Teixeira AM, Cheng J, Heydari K, Cheng EC, Nottoli T, Krause DS, Lu J, Guo S: Dynamic migration and cell-cell interactions of early reprogramming revealed by high-resolution time-lapse imaging. Stem Cells. 2013 May. PMID: 23335078
- Smith EC, Teixeira AM, Chen RC, Wang L, Gao Y, Hahn KL, Krause DS: Induction of megakaryocyte differentiation drives nuclear accumulation and transcriptional function of MKL1 via actin polymerization and RhoA activation. Blood. 2013 Feb 14; 2012 Dec 14. PMID: 23243284
- D'Souza AD, Parish IA, Krause DS, Kaech SM, Shadel GS: Reducing mitochondrial ROS improves disease-related pathology in a mouse model of ataxia-telangiectasia. Mol Ther. 2013 Jan; 2012 Sep 25. PMID: 23011031
- Cooper DL, Proytcheva M, Medoff E, Seropian SE, Snyder EL, Krause DS, Wu Y: Successful collection and engraftment of autologous peripheral blood progenitor cells in poorly mobilized patients receiving high-dose granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. J Clin Apher. 2012 Nov; 2012 May 7. PMID: 22566214
- Guo S, Bai H, Megyola CM, Halene S, Krause DS, Scadden DT, Lu J: Complex oncogene dependence in microRNA-125a-induced myeloproliferative neoplasms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Oct 9; 2012 Sep 24. PMID: 23012470
- Smith EC, Thon JN, Devine MT, Lin S, Schulz VP, Guo Y, Massaro SA, Halene S, Gallagher P, Italiano JE Jr, Krause DS: MKL1 and MKL2 play redundant and crucial roles in megakaryocyte maturation and platelet formation. Blood. 2012 Sep 13; 2012 Jul 17. PMID: 22806889
- Truman LA, Bentley KL, Smith EC, Massaro SA, Gonzalez DG, Haberman AM, Hill M, Jones D, Min W, Krause DS, Ruddle NH: ProxTom lymphatic vessel reporter mice reveal Prox1 expression in the adrenal medulla, megakaryocytes, and platelets. Am J Pathol. 2012 Apr; 2012 Feb 4. PMID: 22310467
- Gao Y, Smith E, Ker E, Campbell P, Cheng EC, Zou S, Lin S, Wang L, Halene S, Krause DS: Role of RhoA-specific guanine exchange factors in regulation of endomitosis in megakaryocytes. Dev Cell. 2012 Mar 13; 2012 Mar 1. PMID: 22387001
- Qian L, Krause DS, Saltzman WM: Enhanced growth and hepatic differentiation of fetal liver epithelial cells through combinational and temporal adjustment of soluble factors. Biotechnol J. 2012 Mar; 2011 Oct 26. PMID: 21922669
- Guo JK, Marlier A, Shi H, Shan A, Ardito TA, Du ZP, Kashgarian M, Krause DS, Biemesderfer D, Cantley LG: Increased tubular proliferation as an adaptive response to glomerular albuminuria. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012 Mar; 2011 Dec 22. PMID: 22193389
- Kassmer SH, Bruscia EM, Zhang PX, Krause DS: Nonhematopoietic cells are the primary source of bone marrow-derived lung epithelial cells. Stem Cells. 2012 Mar. PMID: 22162244
- Rogers FA, Lin SS, Hegan DC, Krause DS, Glazer PM: Targeted gene modification of hematopoietic progenitor cells in mice following systemic administration of a PNA-peptide conjugate. Mol Ther. 2012 Jan; 2011 Aug 9. PMID: 21829173
- Massaro SA, Bajaj R, Pashankar FD, Ornstein D, Gallagher PG, Krause DS, Li P: Bi-allelic deletions within 13q14 and transient trisomy 21 with absence of GATA1s in pediatric acute megakaryoblastic leukemia. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011 Sep; 2011 Apr 29. PMID: 21538823
- Hibino N, Villalona G, Pietris N, Duncan DR, Schoffner A, Roh JD, Yi T, Dobrucki LW, Mejias D, Sawh-Martinez R, Harrington JK, Sinusas A, Krause DS, Kyriakides T, Saltzman WM, Pober JS, Shin'oka T, Breuer CK: Tissue-engineered vascular grafts form neovessels that arise from regeneration of the adjacent blood vessel. FASEB J. 2011 Aug; 2011 May 12. PMID: 21566209
- Bruscia EM, Zhang PX, Satoh A, Caputo C, Medzhitov R, Shenoy A, Egan ME, Krause DS: Abnormal trafficking and degradation of TLR4 underlie the elevated inflammatory response in cystic fibrosis. J Immunol. 2011 Jun 15; 2011 May 18. PMID: 21593379
- Halene S, Gao Y, Hahn K, Massaro S, Italiano JE Jr, Schulz V, Lin S, Kupfer GM, Krause DS: Serum response factor is an essential transcription factor in megakaryocytic maturation. Blood. 2010 Sep 16; 2010 Jun 4. PMID: 20525922
- Kassmer SH, Krause DS: Detection of bone marrow-derived lung epithelial cells. Exp Hematol. 2010 Jul; 2010 May 4. PMID: 20447442
- Yu L, Ji W, Zhang H, Renda MJ, He Y, Lin S, Cheng EC, Chen H, Krause DS, Min W: SENP1-mediated GATA1 deSUMOylation is critical for definitive erythropoiesis. J Exp Med. 2010 Jun 7; 2010 May 10. PMID: 20457756
- Mohamadnejad M, Sohail MA, Watanabe A, Krause DS, Swenson ES, Mehal WZ: Adenosine inhibits chemotaxis and induces hepatocyte-specific genes in bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Hepatology. 2010 Mar. PMID: 20044808
- Halene S, Gaines P, Sun H, Zibello T, Lin S, Khanna-Gupta A, Williams SC, Perkins A, Krause D, Berliner N: C/EBPepsilon directs granulocytic-vs-monocytic lineage determination and confers chemotactic function via Hlx. Exp Hematol. 2010 Feb; 2009 Dec 5. PMID: 19925846
- Mahajan MC, Karmakar S, Newburger PE, Krause DS, Weissman SM: Dynamics of alpha-globin locus chromatin structure and gene expression during erythroid differentiation of human CD34(+) cells in culture. Exp Hematol. 2009 Oct; 2009 Jul 14. PMID: 19607874
- Cohen JB, Krause DS: Understanding the mysteries of iPS cells. Yale J Biol Med. 2009 Sep. PMID: 19774121
- Cheng EC, Luo Q, Bruscia EM, Renda MJ, Troy JA, Massaro SA, Tuck D, Schulz V, Mane SM, Berliner N, Sun Y, Morris SW, Qiu C, Krause DS: Role for MKL1 in megakaryocytic maturation. Blood. 2009 Mar 19; 2009 Jan 9. PMID: 19136660
- Bruscia EM, Zhang PX, Ferreira E, Caputo C, Emerson JW, Tuck D, Krause DS, Egan ME: Macrophages directly contribute to the exaggerated inflammatory response in cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator-/- mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2009 Mar; 2008 Sep 5. PMID: 18776130
- Swenson ES, Xanthopoulos J, Nottoli T, McGrath J, Theise ND, Krause DS: Chimeric mice reveal clonal development of pancreatic acini, but not islets. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009 Feb 6; 2008 Dec 29. PMID: 19116141
- Gong Z, Calkins G, Cheng EC, Krause D, Niklason LE: Influence of culture medium on smooth muscle cell differentiation from human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Tissue Eng Part A. 2009 Feb. PMID: 19115826
- Chin JY, Kuan JY, Lonkar PS, Krause DS, Seidman MM, Peterson KR, Nielsen PE, Kole R, Glazer PM: Correction of a splice-site mutation in the beta-globin gene stimulated by triplex-forming peptide nucleic acids. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Sep 9; 2008 Aug 29. PMID: 18757759
- Krause DS: Bone marrow-derived lung epithelial cells. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008 Aug 15. PMID: 18684720
- Swenson ES, Guest I, Ilic Z, Mazzeo-Helgevold M, Lizardi P, Hardiman C, Sell S, Krause DS: Hepatocyte nuclear factor-1 as marker of epithelial phenotype reveals marrow-derived hepatocytes, but not duct cells, after liver injury in mice. Stem Cells. 2008 Jul; 2008 May 8. PMID: 18467658
- Krause DS: Bone marrow-derived cells and stem cells in lung repair. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008 Apr 15. PMID: 18403327
- Swenson ES, Kuwahara R, Krause DS, Theise ND: Physiological variations of stem cell factor and stromal-derived factor-1 in murine models of liver injury and regeneration. Liver Int. 2008 Mar. PMID: 18290773
- Weiner SA, Caputo C, Bruscia E, Ferreira EC, Price JE, Krause DS, Egan ME: Rectal potential difference and the functional expression of CFTR in the gastrointestinal epithelia in cystic fibrosis mouse models. Pediatr Res. 2008 Jan. PMID: 18043508
- Guo JK, Cheng EC, Wang L, Swenson ES, Ardito TA, Kashgarian M, Cantley LG, Krause DS: The commonly used beta-actin-GFP transgenic mouse strain develops a distinct type of glomerulosclerosis. Transgenic Res. 2007 Dec; 2007 Jun 27. PMID: 17594530
- Swenson ES, Price JG, Brazelton T, Krause DS: Limitations of green fluorescent protein as a cell lineage marker. Stem Cells. 2007 Oct; 2007 Jul 5. PMID: 17615263
- Herzog EL, Van Arnam J, Hu B, Zhang J, Chen Q, Haberman AM, Krause DS: Lung-specific nuclear reprogramming is accompanied by heterokaryon formation and Y chromosome loss following bone marrow transplantation and secondary inflammation. FASEB J. 2007 Aug; 2007 Apr 20. PMID: 17449722
- Bizzarro MJ, Bhandari V, Krause DS, Smith BR, Gross I: Circulating stem cells in extremely preterm neonates. Acta Paediatr. 2007 Apr. PMID: 17391470
- Ma X, Renda MJ, Wang L, Cheng EC, Niu C, Morris SW, Chi AS, Krause DS: Rbm15 modulates Notch-induced transcriptional activation and affects myeloid differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2007 Apr; 2007 Feb 5. PMID: 17283045
- Herzog EL, Krause DS: Engraftment of marrow-derived epithelial cells: the role of fusion. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2006 Nov. PMID: 17065375
- Bruscia EM, Ziegler EC, Price JE, Weiner S, Egan ME, Krause DS: Engraftment of donor-derived epithelial cells in multiple organs following bone marrow transplantation into newborn mice. Stem Cells. 2006 Oct; 2006 Jun 22. PMID: 16794262
- Herzog EL, Van Arnam J, Hu B, Krause DS: Threshold of lung injury required for the appearance of marrow-derived lung epithelia. Stem Cells. 2006 Aug. PMID: 16868209
- Bruscia EM, Price JE, Cheng EC, Weiner S, Caputo C, Ferreira EC, Egan ME, Krause DS: Assessment of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) activity in CFTR-null mice after bone marrow transplantation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Feb 21; 2006 Feb 15. PMID: 16481627
- Guo JK, Schedl A, Krause DS: Bone marrow transplantation can attenuate the progression of mesangial sclerosis. Stem Cells. 2006 Feb; 2005 Sep 8. PMID: 16150922
- Radtke C, Akiyama Y, Lankford KL, Vogt PM, Krause DS, Kocsis JD: Integration of engrafted Schwann cells into injured peripheral nerve: axonal association and nodal formation on regenerated axons. Neurosci Lett. 2005 Oct 21. PMID: 16084645
- Krause DS: The importance of National Blood Foundation funding. Transfusion. 2005 Aug. PMID: 16086791
- Krause D, Cantley LG: Bone marrow plasticity revisited: protection or differentiation in the kidney tubule? J Clin Invest. 2005 Jul. PMID: 16007248
- Krause DS: Engraftment of bone marrow-derived epithelial cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Jun. PMID: 15958704
- Van Arnam JS, Herzog E, Grove J, Bruscia E, Ziegler E, Swenson S, Krause DS: Engraftment of bone marrow-derived epithelial cells. Stem Cell Rev. 2005. PMID: 17132871
- Abbott JD, Huang Y, Liu D, Hickey R, Krause DS, Giordano FJ: Stromal cell-derived factor-1alpha plays a critical role in stem cell recruitment to the heart after myocardial infarction but is not sufficient to induce homing in the absence of injury. Circulation. 2004 Nov 23; 2004 Nov 8. PMID: 15533866
- Borue X, Lee S, Grove J, Herzog EL, Harris R, Diflo T, Glusac E, Hyman K, Theise ND, Krause DS: Bone marrow-derived cells contribute to epithelial engraftment during wound healing. Am J Pathol. 2004 Nov. PMID: 15509544
- Harris RG, Herzog EL, Bruscia EM, Grove JE, Van Arnam JS, Krause DS: Lack of a fusion requirement for development of bone marrow-derived epithelia. Science. 2004 Jul 2. PMID: 15232107
- Angelopoulou MK, Rinder H, Wang C, Burtness B, Cooper DL, Krause DS: A preclinical xenotransplantation animal model to assess human hematopoietic stem cell engraftment. Transfusion. 2004 Apr. PMID: 15043572
- Grove JE, Bruscia E, Krause DS: Plasticity of bone marrow-derived stem cells. Stem Cells. 2004. PMID: 15277695
- Herzog EL, Chai L, Krause DS: Plasticity of marrow-derived stem cells. Blood. 2003 Nov 15; 2003 Jul 31. PMID: 12893756
- Kale S, Karihaloo A, Clark PR, Kashgarian M, Krause DS, Cantley LG: Bone marrow stem cells contribute to repair of the ischemically injured renal tubule. J Clin Invest. 2003 Jul; 2003 Jun 16. PMID: 12824456
- Angelopoulou M, Novelli E, Grove JE, Rinder HM, Civin C, Cheng L, Krause DS: Cotransplantation of human mesenchymal stem cells enhances human myelopoiesis and megakaryocytopoiesis in NOD/SCID mice. Exp Hematol. 2003 May. PMID: 12763140
- Grove JE, Lutzko C, Priller J, Henegariu O, Theise ND, Kohn DB, Krause DS: Marrow-derived cells as vehicles for delivery of gene therapy to pulmonary epithelium. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2002 Dec. PMID: 12444022
- Ma X, Husain T, Peng H, Lin S, Mironenko O, Maun N, Johnson S, Tuck D, Berliner N, Krause DS, Perkins AS: Development of a murine hematopoietic progenitor complementary DNA microarray using a subtracted complementary DNA library. Blood. 2002 Aug 1. PMID: 12130493
- Krause DS: Regulation of hematopoietic stem cell fate. Oncogene. 2002 May 13. PMID: 12032767