Clinical Hematology Laboratory
The Hematology Laboratory provides routine hematology assays for Yale Medical Center patients and specialty hematology testing for both the Medical Center and Outreach. Standard consultative diagnostics in the Hematology Laboratory include:
- “reflex” analysis of blood smears and cytopathologic examination of body fluids
- directed blood screening for parasites,
- laboratory evaluation of coagulopathies and hypercoagulability,
- identification of abnormal hemoglobins/thalassemia,
- cytochemistries on blood and bone marrow,
- specialty testing for hematologic and related diseases such as chronic granulomatous disease; hereditary spherocytosis; chronic lead poisoning; and sickle cell disease.
Our clinical pathologists are available seven days a week to render diagnoses and recommend appropriate testing for ordering clinicians.
The Hematology Laboratory works closely with Flow Cytometry, Molecular Diagnostics, and Cytogenetics to deliver comprehensive, clinical diagnostic care for a range of disorders. The laboratory has been a leader in autoverification of routine hematology testing to speed both urgent care and protocol-driven clinical management, as well as cutting edge diagnostics for rapid identification of sepsis and hypercoagulable risk.