Medical & Undergraduate Student Opportunities
The Department of Laboratory Medicine is responsible for
- Basic Laboratory Medicine (Laboratory Medicine 102b for 2nd years)
- Medical Microbiology (Laboratory Medicine 123a for 2nd years)
- Laboratory Medicine Sessions (3rd year medical and PA students)
- Advanced (3rd/4th year student) elective in clinical pathology (Laboratory Medicine 131)
- Laboratory Medicine and Surgical Pathology Elective
The department invites 4th year students from other U.S. or Canadian medical schools to apply to take the clinical rotation. Inquiries should be addressed to the Office of Student Affairs at Yale School of Medicine. General inquiries can also be made to the Laboratory Medicine Director of Medical Studies.
Yale medical students are invited to apply to the departmental faculty to serve as mentors for the senior thesis. Students from other medical schools may also apply to individual faculty to carry out research projects
Yale undergraduate students may also obtain a research experience with any of the Laboratory Medicine faculty through the courses: Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry (MB&B) 470a and/or 471b, and Molecular Cellular and Developmental Biology (MCDB) 475 and/or 495.
Medical students who are considering a career in laboratory medicine or combined laboratory medicine and anatomic pathology, whether clinical or investigative, are invited to contact the department about the possibility of an intensive senior or post-sophomore year experience and also about residency opportunities.
Learn more about classes offered.