Aging; Alcoholism; Economics; Health Policy; Obesity; Smoking; Health Behavior; Smoking Cessation; Substance-Related Disorders; Social Determinants of Health; Health Care
Public Health Interests
Aging; Alcoholism/Alcohol; Drug Abuse/Addition; Economics; Epidemiology Methods; Health behavior; Health Economics; Health Policy; Health risk behaviors; Obesity; Public health practice; Smoking/Tobacco Control; Social determinants of health; Social and economic policy; Stress; Substance abuse
Dr. Sindelar is a professor of public health and a health economist at the Yale School of Public Health. In addition, she is a Research Associate at the National Bureau Economic Research, is a Research Fellow at IZA (Institute for the Study of Labor) an Associated Faculty at the Institution for Social and Policy Studies at Yale, and has been the President of the American Society of Health Economists (ASHEcon). She has published over 100 papers, served on editorial and other boards, and has presented her research internationally.
Dr. Sindelar is an expert on the economics of substance abuse including alcoholism, illicit drugs and smoking. Her studies include lost productivity, cost-effectiveness of treatments, social costs, and policy. She has published on the impacts of substance abuse on productivity, educational attainment, gender differences, and related policy issues in economics, policy, addiction, health and medical journals.
Specialized Terms: Substance abuse economics
Extensive Research Description
- Yale Tobacco Center of Regulatory Sciences (TCORS): Project 4 — Economics, experiments and PATH data: creating knowledge for tobacco regulation
- Incentives to Quit Smoking in CT Medicaid: Role of Medical Homes — "Rewards to Quit Program"
- Financial Motivations to Quit Smoking and Prevent Related Economic Costs
- Addiction, Economics and Policy: Pre-doc T32 Training Grant
- Aging Research at the 2010 through 2014 ASHEcon Biennial Conferences
- National Implementation of Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plan CAHPS Survey
- Salary differences between male and female registered nurses in the United States Muench M, Sindelar JL, Busch SH, Buerhaus PI. JAMA. 2015;313(12):1265-1267.
- An evaluation of the FDA's analysis of the costs and benefits of the graphic warning label regulation Chaloupka FJ, Warner KE, Acemoğlu D, Gruber J, Laux F, Max W, Newhouse J, Schelling T, Sindelar JL. Tobacco Control. 2014 Dec 30. PMCID: PMC4335832.
- Smaller Cigarette Pack as a Commitment to Smoke Less? Insights from Behavioral Economics Marti J and Jody JL. Plos One. 2015 Sep 10;10(9):e0137520. PMCID: PMC4565702.
- Financial versus health motivation to quit smoking: A randomized field study Sindelar JL, O'Malley SS. Preventive Med. 2014 Feb;59:1-4. NIHMSID 782977.
- Is Research in Substance Abuse Undervalued? Sindelar JL and Strombotne KL. Addiction. 2014 Jan;109(1):3-4.
- Rewarding Healthy Food Choices in SNAP: Behavioral Economic Applications Richards MR and Sindelar JL. The Milbank Quarterly. 2013 Jun;91(2):395-412. PMCID: PMC3696202.
- Smoke-free policies in drinking venues predict transitions in alcohol use disorders in a longitudinal U.S. sample Young-Wolff KC, Hyland AJ, Desai R, Sindelar JL, Pilver CE, McKee SA. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2013 Mar;128(3):214-221. PMCID: PMC4052952.
- Understanding heterogeneity in price elasticities in the demand for alcohol for older individuals Ayyagari P, Deb P, Fletcher J, Gallo W and Sindelar JL. Health Economics. 2013 Jan;22 (1) :89-105. PMCID: PMC3641566.
- The Impact of Early Occupational Choice on Health Behaviors. Review of Household Economics Kelly IR, Dave D, Sindelar JL, and Gallo WT. Review of Household Economics. Published online October 23, 2012.
- Optimizing Financial Incentives to Improve Health among Military Personnel: Differences by Pay Grade and across Branches Sindelar JL and Torsiello N. Preventive Medicine. 2012 Nov;55 Suppl:S116-7. PMCID: PMC3641555.
- The Effects of Family Stressors on Substance Use Initiation Fletcher JM and Sindelar JL. Rev. Economic Households. March 2012;10(1):99-114. PMCID: PMC3777731.
- Cumulative effects of job characteristics on health Fletcher JM, Sindelar JL, Yamaguchi S. Health Economics. 2011 May;20(5):553-70. PMCID: PMC3066461.
- The effect of job loss on overweight and drinking Deb P, Gallo WT, Ayyagari P, Fletcher JM, Sindelar JL. Journal of Health Economics. 2011 Mar;30(2):217-27. PMCID: PMC3086369
- Differential changes in body mass index after retirement by occupation: hierarchical models Gueorguieva R, Sindelar JL, Wu R, Gallo WT. International Journal of Public Health. 2011 Feb;56(1):111-6. PMCID: PMC3154720.
- The morning after: alcohol misuse and employment problems French MT, Maclean JC, Sindelar JL, Fang H. Applied Economics. 2011;43(21):2705-2720. PMCID: PMC3234116.
- Cost evaluation of evidence-based treatments Sindelar JL, Ball SA. Addiction Science & Clinical Practice. 2010 Dec;5(2):44-51. PMCID: PMC3120119.
- The Impact of Job Stress on Smoking and Quitting: Evidence from the HRS Ayyagari P and Sindelar JL. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy. 2010 Jan 1;10(1). pii: art27. PMCID: PMC31033224.
- Work expectations, realizations, and depression in older workers Falba TA, Sindelar JL, Gallo WT. The Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics. 2009 Dec;12(4):175-86. PMCID: PMC34334685
- Cost analysis of clinic and office-based treatment of opioid dependence: results with methadone and buprenorphine in clinically stable patients Jones ES, Moore BA, Sindelar JL, O'Connor PG, Schottenfeld RS, Fiellin DA. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2009 Jan 1;99(1-3):132-40. PMCID: PMC2646001.
- The impact of occupation on self-rated health: cross-sectional and longitudinal evidence from the health and retirement survey Gueorguieva R, Sindelar JL, Falba TA, Fletcher JM, Keenan P, Wu R, Gallo WT. Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences. 2009 Jan;64(1):118-24. PMCID: PMC2654983.
- Willingness to pay for drug rehabilitation: implications for cost recovery Bishai D, Sindelar JL, Ricketts EP, Huettner S, Cornelius L, Lloyd JJ, Havens JJ, Latkin CA, Strathdee SA. Journal of Health Economics. 2008 Jul;27(4):959-72. PMCID: PMC2601723
- Paying for performance: the power of incentives over habits Sindelar JL. Health Economics. 2008 Apr;17(4):449-51. PMCID: PMC3434678.
- Spousal concordance in health behavior change Falba TA & Sindelar JL. Health Services Research. 2008 Feb;43(1 Pt 1):96-116. PMCID: PMC2323137.
- Treatment programs in the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network McCarty D, Fuller B, Kaskutas LA, Wendt WW, Nunes EV, Miller M, Forman R, Magruder KM, Arfken C, Copersino M, Floyd A, Sindelar JL, Edmundson E. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2008 Jan 1;92(1-3):200-7. PMCID: PMC2223274.
- Clinic variation in the cost-effectiveness of contingency management Olmstead TA, Sindelar JL, Petry NM. The American Journal on Addictions. 2007 Nov-Dec;16(6):457-60. PMCID: PMC3072219.
- Cost-benefit analysis of second-generation antipsychotics and placebo in a randomized trial of the treatment of psychosis and aggression in Alzheimer disease Rosenheck RA, Leslie DL, Sindelar JL, Miller EA, Tariot PN, Dagerman KS, Davis SM, Lebowitz BD, Rabins P, Hsiao JK, Lieberman JA, Schneider LS; Clinical Antipsychotic Trial of Intervention Effectiveness-Alzheimer's Disease (CATIE-AD) investigators. Archives of General Psychiatry. 2007 Nov;64(11):1259-68.
- Equity in private insurance coverage for substance abuse: a perspective on parity Barry CL and Sindelar JL. Health Affairs. 2007 Nov-Dec;26(6):w706-16. PMCID: PMC3072843.
- The cost-effectiveness of four treatments for marijuana dependence Olmstead TA, Sindelar JL, Easton CJ, Carroll KM. Addiction. 2007 Sep;102(9):1443-53. PMCID: PMC2398724.
- Cost-effectiveness of prize-based contingency management in methadone maintenance treatment programs Sindelar JL, Olmstead TA, Peirce JM. Addiction. 2007 Sep;102(9):1463-71. PMCID: PMC3072844.
- Smoking status as a clinical indicator for alcohol misuse in US adults McKee SA, Falba T, O'Malley SS, Sindelar JL, O'Connor PG. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2007 Apr 9;167(7)716-21. PMCID: PMC2869385.
- Cost-effectiveness of prize-based incentives for stimulant abusers in outpatient psychosocial treatment programs Olmstead TA, Sindelar JL, Petry NM. 2007 Mar 16;87(2-3):175-82. PMCID: PMC1950254.
- Why are recovering substance abuse counselors paid less? Olmstead TA, Johnson JA, Roman PM, Sindelar JL. Substance Abuse. 2007 Mar;28(1):31-44.
- What do we get for our money? Cost-effectiveness of adding contingency management Sindelar JL, Elbel B, Petry NM. Addiction. 2007 Feb;102(2):309-16.
- Direct care workers in the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network: characteristics, opinions, and beliefs McCarty D, Fuller BE, Arfken C, Miller M, Nunes EV, Edmundson E, Copersino M, Floyd A, Forman R, Laws R, Magruder KM, Oyama M, Prather K, Sindelar JL, Wendt WW. Psychiatric Services. 2007 Feb;58(2):181-90. PMCID: PMC2861362.
- Cost-effectiveness of second-generation antipsychotics and perphenazine in a randomized trial of treatment for chronic schizophrenia Rosenheck RA, Leslie DL, Sindelar JL, Miller EA, Lin H, Stroup TS, McEvoy J, Davis SM, Keefe RS, Swartz M, Perkins DO, Hsiao JK, Lieberman J; CATIE Study Investigators. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2006 Dec;163(12):2080-9
- Effects of a cost-sharing exemption on use of preventive services at one large employer Busch SH, Barry CL, Vegso SJ, Sindelar JL, Cullen MR. Health Affairs. 2006 Nov-Dec;25(6):1529-36.
- The impact of tobacco expenditure on household consumption patterns in rural China Wang H, Sindelar JL, Busch SH. Social Science & Medicine. 2006 Mar;62(6):1414-26.