Behavior and Behavior Mechanisms; Sleep Disorders; Substance-Related Disorders
Psychiatry: Clinical Neuroscience Research Unit | Neurocognition, Neurocomputation, and Neurogenetics, Division of | Neuroscience Research Training Program (NRTP) | Program for Obesity, Weight and Eating Research (POWER) at Yale | Yale Cocaine Research Clinic
I am interested in the neurophysiology of substance dependence for its own sake and as a window into understanding cognition and behavior. The major focus of my laboratory is the examination of the role of disturbances of sleep and sleep-dependent memory consolidation in chronic substance use and other mental illnesses. My laboratory has found that abstinent male cocaine users suffer from an "occult" insomnia. Although their sleep is objectively poor and they exhibit cognitive disruptions related to this poor sleep, they believe that their sleep is unimpaired.
Recent findings suggest that modafinil, a wakefulness promoting agent, reverses some of the sleep deficits associated with chronic cocaine use.
Extensive Research Description
My recent and current human subject studies have examined sleep and learning in cocaine dependence and the relevance of GABA neurotransmission thereon, and have sought neurophysiological markers of alcohol craving. Experimental tools used include EEG/ERP, polysomnography (PSG), cocaine self-administration, neuroimaging, and a variety of standard and newly developed cognitive tasks including visual, motor, and verbal learning tasks, as well tasks of attention and memory.
Another project examines lucid dreaming and what differentiates lucid dreamers from non-lucid dreamers in terms of brain function. This project is directed at understanding the brain processes that lead to different types of consciousness.
Retrograde effects of triazolam and zolpidem on sleep-dependent motor learning in humans.
Morgan PT, Kehne JH, Sprenger KA, Malison RT. Retrograde effects of triazolam and zolpidem on sleep-dependent motor learning in humans. 2009; Journal of Sleep Research (in press).
Sex differences in sleep and sleep-dependent learning in abstinent cocaine users.
Morgan PT, Paliwal P, Malison RT, Sinha R. Sex differences in sleep and sleep-dependent learning in abstinent cocaine users. 2009; Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 93:54-8.
Sleep architecture, cocaine, and visual learning.
Morgan PT, Pace-Schott EF, Sahul ZH, Coric V, Stickgold, R, Malison RT. Sleep architecture, cocaine, and visual learning. Addiction, 2008; 103: 1344-52.
Pilot study of lorazepam and tiagabine effects on sleep, motor learning, and impulsivity in cocaine abstinence.
Morgan PT, Malison RT. Pilot study of lorazepam and tiagabine effects on sleep, motor learning, and impulsivity in cocaine abstinence. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2008; 34:692-702.
Cocaine and sleep: early abstinence.
Morgan PT, Malison RT. Cocaine and sleep: early abstinence. The Scientific World Journal. 2007; 7:223-30.
Sleep, sleep-dependent procedural learning and vigilance in chronic cocaine users: evidence for occult insomnia.
Peter T. Morgan, Edward F. Pace-Schott, Zakir H. Sahul, Vladimir Coric, Robert Stickgold, Robert T. Malison. “Sleep, sleep-dependent procedural learning and vigilance in chronic cocaine users: evidence for occult insomnia”, Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 82:238-249, 2006.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Feuerstein S, Hodges SE, Keenaghan B, Bessette A, Forselius E, Morgan PT: Computerized Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia in a Community Health Setting. J Clin Sleep Med. 2016 Oct 20; 2016 Oct 20. PMID: 27784409
- Starc M, Murray JD, Santamauro N, Savic A, Diehl C, Cho YT, Srihari V, Morgan PT, Krystal JH, Wang XJ, Repovs G, Anticevic A: Schizophrenia is associated with a pattern of spatial working memory deficits consistent with cortical disinhibition. Schizophr Res. 2016 Oct 10; 2016 Oct 10. PMID: 27745755
- Lewis AS, Oberleitner LM, Morgan PT, Picciotto MR, McKee SA: Association of Cigarette Smoking With Interpersonal and Self-Directed Violence in a Large Community-Based Sample. Nicotine Tob Res. 2016 Jun; 2015 Dec 30. PMID: 26718905
- Angarita GA, Emadi N, Hodges S, Morgan PT: Sleep abnormalities associated with alcohol, cannabis, cocaine, and opiate use: a comprehensive review. Addict Sci Clin Pract. 2016 Apr 26; 2016 Apr 26. PMID: 27117064
- Morgan PT, Angarita GA, Canavan S, Pittman B, Oberleitner L, Malison RT, Mohsenin V, Hodges S, Easton C, McKee S, Bessette A, Forselius E: Modafinil and sleep architecture in an inpatient-outpatient treatment study of cocaine dependence. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Mar 1; 2016 Jan 8. PMID: 26777774
- Udo T, White MA, Barnes RD, Ivezaj V, Morgan P, Masheb RM, Grilo CM: Psychosocial and metabolic function by smoking status in individuals with binge eating disorder and obesity. Addict Behav. 2016 Feb; 2015 Sep 30. PMID: 26451703
- Anticevic A, Corlett PR, Cole MW, Savic A, Gancsos M, Tang Y, Repovs G, Murray JD, Driesen NR, Morgan PT, Xu K, Wang F, Krystal JH: N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist effects on prefrontal cortical connectivity better model early than chronic schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 2015 Mar 15; 2014 Jul 31. PMID: 25281999
- Powers AR 3rd, Gancsos MG, Finn ES, Morgan PT, Corlett PR: Ketamine-Induced Hallucinations. Psychopathology. 2015; 2015 Sep 12. PMID: 26361209
- Milivojevic V, Sinha R, Morgan PT, Sofuoglu M, Fox HC: Effects of endogenous and exogenous progesterone on emotional intelligence in cocaine-dependent men and women who also abuse alcohol. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2014 Nov; 2014 Nov 3. PMID: 25363303
- Angarita GA, Canavan SV, Forselius E, Bessette A, Morgan PT: Correlates of polysomnographic sleep changes in cocaine dependence: self-administration and clinical outcomes. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Oct 1; 2014 Jul 30. PMID: 25124303
- Canavan SV, Forselius EL, Bessette AJ, Morgan PT: Preliminary evidence for normalization of risk taking by modafinil in chronic cocaine users. Addict Behav. 2014 Jun; 2014 Mar 3. PMID: 24642345
- Fox HC, Morgan PT, Sinha R: Sex differences in guanfacine effects on drug craving and stress arousal in cocaine-dependent individuals. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014 May; 2014 Jan 7. PMID: 24395021
- Corlett PR, Canavan SV, Nahum L, Appah F, Morgan PT: Dreams, reality and memory: confabulations in lucid dreamers implicate reality-monitoring dysfunction in dream consciousness. Cogn Neuropsychiatry. 2014; 2014 Jul 16. PMID: 25028078
- Angarita GA, Canavan SV, Forselius E, Bessette A, Pittman B, Morgan PT: Abstinence-related changes in sleep during treatment for cocaine dependence. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Jan 1; 2013 Nov 17. PMID: 24315572
- Driesen NR, McCarthy G, Bhagwagar Z, Bloch MH, Calhoun VD, D'Souza DC, Gueorguieva R, He G, Leung HC, Ramani R, Anticevic A, Suckow RF, Morgan PT, Krystal JH: The impact of NMDA receptor blockade on human working memory-related prefrontal function and connectivity. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2013 Dec; 2013 Jul 16. PMID: 23856634
- Matuskey D, Luo X, Zhang S, Morgan PT, Abdelghany O, Malison RT, Li CS: Methylphenidate remediates error-preceding activation of the default mode brain regions in cocaine-addicted individuals. Psychiatry Res. 2013 Nov 30; 2013 Aug 23. PMID: 23973363
- Driesen NR, McCarthy G, Bhagwagar Z, Bloch M, Calhoun V, D'Souza DC, Gueorguieva R, He G, Ramachandran R, Suckow RF, Anticevic A, Morgan PT, Krystal JH: Relationship of resting brain hyperconnectivity and schizophrenia-like symptoms produced by the NMDA receptor antagonist ketamine in humans. Mol Psychiatry. 2013 Nov; 2013 Jan 22. PMID: 23337947
- Fox HC, Sofuoglu M, Morgan PT, Tuit KL, Sinha R: The effects of exogenous progesterone on drug craving and stress arousal in cocaine dependence: impact of gender and cue type. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2013 Sep; 2013 Jan 29. PMID: 23374328
- Morgan PT: Recalling Martin Luther King: Obama's effect on memory. Am J Psychiatry. 2013 Feb. PMID: 23377643
- Matuskey D, Pittman B, Chen JI, Wanyiri J, Nadim H, Jatlow P, Gueorguieva R, Potenza MN, Morgan PT, Bhagwagar Z, Malison RT: A single-day paradigm of self-regulated human cocaine administration. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2012 Nov. PMID: 22922558
- Anticevic A, Gancsos M, Murray JD, Repovs G, Driesen NR, Ennis DJ, Niciu MJ, Morgan PT, Surti TS, Bloch MH, Ramani R, Smith MA, Wang XJ, Krystal JH, Corlett PR: NMDA receptor function in large-scale anticorrelated neural systems with implications for cognition and schizophrenia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Oct 9; 2012 Sep 25. PMID: 23012427
- Grilo CM, Milsom VA, Morgan PT, White MA: Night eating in obese treatment-seeking Hispanic patients with and without binge eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord. 2012 Sep; 2012 Mar 12. PMID: 22407481
- Gearhardt AN, White MA, Masheb RM, Morgan PT, Crosby RD, Grilo CM: An examination of the food addiction construct in obese patients with binge eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord. 2012 Jul; 2011 Aug 30. PMID: 22684991
- Fox HC, Seo D, Tuit K, Hansen J, Kimmerling A, Morgan PT, Sinha R: Guanfacine effects on stress, drug craving and prefrontal activation in cocaine dependent individuals: preliminary findings. J Psychopharmacol. 2012 Jul; 2012 Jan 9. PMID: 22234929
- Morgan PT, Pace-Schott EF, Mason GF, Forselius E, Fasula M, Valentine GW, Sanacora G: Cortical GABA levels in primary insomnia. Sleep. 2012 Jun 1; 2012 Jun 1. PMID: 22654200
- Durso LE, Latner JD, White MA, Masheb RM, Blomquist KK, Morgan PT, Grilo CM: Internalized weight bias in obese patients with binge eating disorder: associations with eating disturbances and psychological functioning. Int J Eat Disord. 2012 Apr; 2011 Jun 29. PMID: 21717488
- Fox HC, Anderson GM, Tuit K, Hansen J, Kimmerling A, Siedlarz KM, Morgan PT, Sinha R: Prazosin effects on stress- and cue-induced craving and stress response in alcohol-dependent individuals: preliminary findings. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012 Feb; 2011 Sep 15. PMID: 21919922
- Blomquist KK, Barnes RD, White MA, Masheb RM, Morgan PT, Grilo CM: Exploring weight gain in year before treatment for binge eating disorder: a different context for interpreting limited weight losses in treatment studies. Int J Eat Disord. 2011 Jul; 2010 Jul 15. PMID: 20635382
- Neider M, Pace-Schott EF, Forselius E, Pittman B, Morgan PT: Lucid dreaming and ventromedial versus dorsolateral prefrontal task performance. Conscious Cogn. 2011 Jun; 2010 Sep 9. PMID: 20829072
- Matuskey D, Pittman B, Forselius E, Malison RT, Morgan PT: A multistudy analysis of the effects of early cocaine abstinence on sleep. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2011 May 1; 2010 Dec 8. PMID: 21144676
- Morgan PT, Desai RA, Potenza MN: Gender-related influences of parental alcoholism on the prevalence of psychiatric illnesses: analysis of the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2010 Oct; 2010 Jul 20. PMID: 20645936
- Li CS, Morgan PT, Matuskey D, Abdelghany O, Luo X, Chang JL, Rounsaville BJ, Ding YS, Malison RT: Biological markers of the effects of intravenous methylphenidate on improving inhibitory control in cocaine-dependent patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Aug 10; 2010 Jul 26. PMID: 20660731
- Morgan PT, Pace-Schott E, Pittman B, Stickgold R, Malison RT: Normalizing effects of modafinil on sleep in chronic cocaine users. Am J Psychiatry. 2010 Mar; 2010 Jan 15. PMID: 20080983
- Morgan PT, Kehne JH, Sprenger KJ, Malison RT: Retrograde effects of triazolam and zolpidem on sleep-dependent motor learning in humans. J Sleep Res. 2010 Mar; 2009 Aug 13. PMID: 19682231
- Angarita GA, Pittman B, Gueorguieva R, Kalayasiri R, Lynch WJ, Sughondhabirom A, Morgan PT, Malison RT: Regulation of cocaine self-administration in humans: lack of evidence for loading and maintenance phases. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2010 Mar; 2009 Dec 21. PMID: 20005893
- Morgan PT, Paliwal P, Malison RT, Sinha R: Sex differences in sleep and sleep-dependent learning in abstinent cocaine users. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2009 Jul; 2009 Apr 18. PMID: 19379771
- Lynch WJ, Kalayasiri R, Sughondhabirom A, Pittman B, Coric V, Morgan PT, Malison RT: Subjective responses and cardiovascular effects of self-administered cocaine in cocaine-abusing men and women. Addict Biol. 2008 Sep. PMID: 18782384
- Morgan PT, Pace-Schott EF, Sahul ZH, Coric V, Stickgold R, Malison RT: Sleep architecture, cocaine and visual learning. Addiction. 2008 Aug. PMID: 18855824
- Morgan PT, Malison RT: Chest tightness and palpitations associated with modafinil and consumption of free glutamate. Am J Psychiatry. 2008 Apr. PMID: 18381922
- Morgan PT, Malison RT: Pilot study of lorazepam and tiagabine effects on sleep, motor learning, and impulsivity in cocaine abstinence. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2008. PMID: 18850496
- Pace-Schott EF, Morgan PT, Malison RT, Hart CL, Edgar C, Walker M, Stickgold R: Cocaine users differ from normals on cognitive tasks which show poorer performance during drug abstinence. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2008. PMID: 18161649
- Fox HC, Hong KA, Paliwal P, Morgan PT, Sinha R: Altered levels of sex and stress steroid hormones assessed daily over a 28-day cycle in early abstinent cocaine-dependent females. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2008 Jan; 2007 Sep 21. PMID: 17891383
- Morgan PT, Malison RT: Cocaine and sleep: early abstinence. ScientificWorldJournal. 2007 Nov 2; 2007 Nov 2. PMID: 17982597
- Sinha R, Fox H, Hong KI, Sofuoglu M, Morgan PT, Bergquist KT: Sex steroid hormones, stress response, and drug craving in cocaine-dependent women: implications for relapse susceptibility. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2007 Oct. PMID: 17924778
- Morgan PT: Treatment-resistant depression: response to low-dose transdermal but not oral selegiline. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2007 Jun. PMID: 17502787
- Morgan PT, Pace-Schott EF, Sahul ZH, Coric V, Stickgold R, Malison RT: Sleep, sleep-dependent procedural learning and vigilance in chronic cocaine users: Evidence for occult insomnia. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2006 May 20; 2005 Nov 2. PMID: 16260094
- Lynch WJ, Sughondhabirom A, Pittman B, Gueorguieva R, Kalayasiri R, Joshua D, Morgan P, Coric V, Malison RT: A paradigm to investigate the regulation of cocaine self-administration in human cocaine users: a randomized trial. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006 Apr; 2006 Mar 7. PMID: 16521032
- Kalayasiri R, Sughondhabirom A, Gueorguieva R, Coric V, Lynch WJ, Morgan PT, Cubells JF, Malison RT: Self-reported paranoia during laboratory "binge" cocaine self-administration in humans. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2006 Feb; 2006 Mar 20. PMID: 16549106
- Morgan PT, Jing J, Vilim FS, Weiss KR: Interneuronal and peptidergic control of motor pattern switching in Aplysia. J Neurophysiol. 2002 Jan. PMID: 11784729
- Morgan PT, Perrins R, Lloyd PE, Weiss KR: Intrinsic and extrinsic modulation of a single central pattern generating circuit. J Neurophysiol. 2000 Sep. PMID: 10979994
- Thornhill WB, Wu MB, Jiang X, Wu X, Morgan PT, Margiotta JF: Expression of Kv1.1 delayed rectifier potassium channels in Lec mutant Chinese hamster ovary cell lines reveals a role for sialidation in channel function. J Biol Chem. 1996 Aug 9. PMID: 8702582
- Clark S, Morgan PT: Religion and magic in Elizabethan Wales: Robert Holland's dialogue on witchcraft. J Ecclesiast Hist. 1976. PMID: 11617305