Ultrasonography; Radiation Oncology; Nanomedicine; Early Detection of Cancer; Radiotherapy, Image-Guided
Therapeutic Radiology: Radiological Physics
- Nanoparticle radiation sensitization: link pH-Low Insertion Peptide (pHLIP) to Gadolinium nanoparticles to facilitate cell internationalization of nanoparticles for enhanced radiosensitization and imaging and estimation of the in vivo nanoparticle distribution. The research will eventually make quantitative treatment planning possible for targeted nanoparticle enhanced radiation therapy, which will revolutionize radiation therapy delivery.
- Clinical-oriented research on image guided radiotherapy: tumor motion monitoring and management. Dose reconstruction. Medical image analysis.
- Applying artificial intelligence techniques to IGRT for margin reduction and adaptive imaging and planning.
- Cancer diagnosis & treatment evaluation using advanced ultrasound parametric imaging.
Specialized Terms: Nanoparticle radiation sensitization; Image guided radiotherapy; Tumor motion monitoring and management; Dose reconstruction; Medical image analysis; Ultrasound parametric imaging
Extensive Research Description
nanoparticle radiation sensitization
tumor motion monitoring and management
- Xie Y, Xing L, Gu J, Liu W. Tissue feature-based intra-fractional motion tracking for stereoscopic x-ray image guided radiotherapy. Physics in medicine and biology. 2013;58(11):3615-30. PubMed PMID: 23648334.
- Lin WY, Lin SF, Yang SC, Liou SC, Nath R, Liu W. Real-time automatic fiducial marker tracking in low contrast cine-MV images. Medical physics. 2013;40(1):011715:1-7. PubMed PMID: 23298085.
- Yan H, Li H, Liu Z, Nath R, Liu W. Hybrid MV-kV 3D respiratory motion tracking during radiation therapy with low imaging dose. Physics in medicine and biology. 2012;57(24):8455-69. PubMed PMID: 23202376.
- Qian J, Xing L, Liu W, Luxton G. Dose verification for respiratory-gated volumetric modulated arc therapy. Physics in medicine and biology. 2011;56(15):4827-38. PubMed PMID: 21753232; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3360016.
- W. Liu, G. Luxton, and L. Xing, "A Failure Detection Strategy for Intrafraction Prostate Motion Monitoring with On-board Imagers for Fixed-Gantry IMRT," International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, 78(3): 904-911, 2010.
- W. Liu, J. Qian, S. Hancock, L. Xing, and G. Luxton, "Clinical development of a failure detection-based online repositioning strategy for prostate IMRT – experiments, simulation, and dosimetry study" Medical Physics, 37(10): 5287-5297, 2010.
- W. Liu, R. Wiersma, and L. Xing, "Optimized Hybrid MV-kV Imaging Protocol for Volumetric Prostate Arc Therapy," International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, 78(2): 595-604, 2010.
- J. Qian, L. Lee, W. Liu, K. Chu, E. Mok, G. Luxton, Q. Le, and L. Xing, “Dose Reconstruction for volumetric modulated arc therapy using cone-beam CT and dynamic log-files”, Physics in Medicine & Biology, 55: 3597-3610, 2010
- W. Liu and J. A. Zagzebski, "Tradeoffs in Data Acquisition and Processing Parameters for Backscatter and Scatterer Size Estimations," IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control, 57(2): 340-352, 2010.
- W. Liu, R.D. Wiersma, W. Mao, G. Luxton, and L. Xing, “Real-time 3D internal marker tracking during arc radiotherapy by use of combined MV-kV imaging”, Physics in Medicine & Biology, 53: 7197-7213, 2008
- W. Liu, J.A. Zagzebski, H.J. Hall, E.L. Madsen, T. Varghese, M.A. Kliewer, S. Panda, C. Lowery, and S. Barnes, “Acoustic backscatter and effective scatterer size estimates using a 2D CMUT transducer”, Physics in Medicine & Biology, 53: 4169-4183, 2008
- Liu W, Zagzebski JA, Varghese T, Gerig AL, Hall TJ. Spectral and scatterer-size correlation during angular compounding: simulations and experimental studies. Ultrasonic imaging. 2006;28(4):230-44. PubMed PMID: 17521044.
- Liu W, Zagzebski JA, Varghese T, Dyer CR, Techavipoo U, Hall TJ. Segmentation of elastographic images using a coarse-to-fine active contour model. Ultrasound in medicine & biology. 2006;32(3):397-408. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC1764611.
- Bharat S, Techavipoo U, Kiss MZ, Liu W, Varghese T. Monitoring stiffness changes in lesions after radiofrequency ablation at different temperatures and durations of ablation. Ultrasound in medicine & biology. 2005;31(3):415-22. PubMed PMID: 15749565.
- Techavipoo U, Varghese T, Zagzebski JA, Chen Q, Liu W. Semiautomated thermal lesion segmentation for three-dimensional elastographic imaging. Ultrasound in medicine & biology. 2004;30(5):655-64. PubMed PMID: 15183232.
- Liu W, Techavipoo U, Varghese T, Zagzebski JA, Chen Q, Lee FT, Jr. Elastographic versus x-ray CT imaging of radio frequency ablation coagulations: an in vitro study. Medical physics. 2004;31(6):1322-32. PubMed PMID: 15259635.
- Varghese T, Techavipoo U, Liu W, Zagzebski JA, Chen Q, Frank G, et al. Elastographic measurement of the area and volume of thermal lesions resulting from radiofrequency ablation: pathologic correlation. AJR American journal of roentgenology. 2003;181(3):701-7. PubMed PMID: 12933463.