Walter Newberry Kernan MD
Professor of Medicine (General Medicine)
Clinical epidemiology of cerebrovascular disease; Interface between primary care and stroke treatment; Medical education
A randomized clinical trial to determine the effectiveness of pioglitazone, compared with placebo, for prevention of recurrent stroke and MI among non-diabetic patients with a recent ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack and insulin resistance.
The major focus of my research has been on the clinical epidemiology of cerebrovascular disease and the interface between primary care and stroke treatment. With colleagues in our section and in the Department of Neurology, this research has included clinical trials of new therapies for prevention of recurrent stroke (estrogen, thiazolidinediones), cohort studies of prognosis, case–control studies of risk factors, and cross-sectional examinations of quality of care. My current work includes several studies on the prevalence and course of impaired glucose metabolism among patients with a recent stroke. In addition to work on cerebrovascular disease, my research includes efforts to measure and improve clinical instruction of medical students in the ambulatory setting.
- Hauer KE, Durning SJ, Kernan WN, Fagan MJ, Mintz M, O'Sullivan PS, Battistone M, DeFer T, Elnicki M, Harrell H, Reddy S, Boscardin CK, Schwartz MD. Factors associated with medical students' career choices regarding internal medicine. JAMA 2008300:1154-1164.
- Kernan WN, Hershman W, Alper EJ, Lee MY, Viscoli CM, Perry JR, OConnor PG. Disagreement between students and preceptors regarding the value of teaching behaviors for ambulatory care settings. Teach Learn Med 200820(2):143-150.
- Yaggi HK, Concato J, Kernan WN, Lichtman JH, Brass LM, Mohsenin V. Obstructive sleep apnea as a risk factor for stroke and death. N Engl J Med 2005353:2034-2041.
- Kernan WN, Inzucchi SE, Viscoli CM, Brass LM, Bravata DM, Shulman GI, McVeety JC, Horwitz RI. Pioglitazone improves insulin sensitivity among non-diabetic patients with a recent TIA or ischemic stroke. Stroke 200334:1431-1436.
- Kernan WN, Inzucchi SE, Viscoli CM, Brass LM, Bravata DM, Shulman GI, McVeety JC, Horwitz RI. Impaired insulin sensitivity among nondiabetic patients with a recent TIA or ischemic stroke. Neurology 200360:1447-1451.
- Kernan WN, Viscoli CM, DeMarco D, Mendes B, Shrauger K, et. al. Boosting enrollment in neurology trials with Local Identification and Outreach Networks (LIONs). Neurology 2009;72:1345-1351.
- Kernan WN, Viscoli CM, Inzucchi SE, Brass LM, Bravata DM, Shulman GI, McVeety JC. Prevalence of abnormal glucose tolerance following a TIA or ischemic stroke. Arch Intern Med 2005;165:227-233