Library Science; Medical Informatics; Medical Laboratory Science; Educational Technology
Extensive Research Description
International: I am the Chair Designee for the Committee on Outreach and Developing world for society for education in anesthesia (SEA)- (www.seahq.net). My objectives for this year are
- Developing crisis resource management tools like algorithms and making them handy for use in remote locations
- Developing a document with tips for teaching for residents going overseas
- Cofounder of Sim Worldwide (sww.etsu.edu). This is a website dedicated to increasing collabaration among medical schools in the US and abroad. Currently we transmit selected teaching sessions to the developing world. We have schools in India, Thailand, ElSalvador, China and Switzerland who log on to the sessions. We have one way video transmission and two way chat. This enables the session to be interactive for the audience abroad.
- Director of a monthly e-learning module for the PGY1 students who are coming into our program in anesthesia called the START (Successful transition to Anesthesia Residency Training) program- This is a collaboration with Stanford Anesthesia (Dr Larry Chu) who initiated the very successful program there. Tara Paulose, CA2 resident is co-director on this project. In this project we shoot short videos of pertinent topics which follow a trigger video to reinforce basic concepts in anesthesia to residents.
- Yale Media Lab: We are currently involved in making videos for teaching. Erica Zador is the technical Assistant.
- Simulation- We use simulation to reinforce important concepts for our residents. Currently we are designing scenarios and testing them before applying to practice.
- Developing a dedicated site for medical students who are interested in anesthesia to get information and interact. Our CA2 resident Shaun Gruenbaum and medical student Benjamin Gruenbaum are co-founders of this website. We are currently developing content for this website.
- Co-founder of an anesthesia multimedia website (www.anesthesiaillustrated.com). This is a collaboration with Stanford Aim Lab, again under the direction of Dr Larry Chu. The goal is to create a library of education media that can be used by faculty and students in the specialty for learning and teaching.
- Building a patient education website for anesthesia with information we got from the survey of our pre-operative patients.
- Using flashcard app to create flashcards for anesthesia residents to prep for their board exams. The project lead for this project is John Dicarlo, CA1 resident.
- We are working on evaluating the feasibility of using video conferencing to evaluate patients before anesthesia. The project lead for this is Dr Michael Fishman, CA1 resident.
- Creating a curriculum for teaching residents how to teach. This will be focused on residents who want to learn more on teaching and learning theories. We anticipate offering the courses starting 2013.
- Kannan J, Kurup V. Blended learning in anesthesia education - current state and future model. Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology 25 (6) , pp. 692-698
- Kurup, V., Considine, A., Hersey, D., Dai, F., Senior, A., Silverman, D.G., Dabu-Bondoc, S. Role of the Internet as an information resource for surgical patients: A survey of 877 patients (2013)British Journal of Anaesthesia