Library Science; Medical Informatics; Medical Laboratory Science; Educational Technology
South Asian Studies
The focus of my research in in developing effective and efficient methods of teaching for anesthesia residents and in assuring a safe and stress free environment for learning.
Extensive Research Description
International: I am the Chair Designee for the Committee on Outreach and Developing world for society for education in anesthesia (SEA)- (www.seahq.net). My objectives for this year are
- Developing crisis resource management tools like algorithms and making them handy for use in remote locations
- Developing a document with tips for teaching for residents going overseas
- Cofounder of Sim Worldwide (sww.etsu.edu). This is a website dedicated to increasing collabaration among medical schools in the US and abroad. Currently we transmit selected teaching sessions to the developing world. We have schools in India, Thailand, ElSalvador, China and Switzerland who log on to the sessions. We have one way video transmission and two way chat. This enables the session to be interactive for the audience abroad.
- Director of a monthly e-learning module for the PGY1 students who are coming into our program in anesthesia called the START (Successful transition to Anesthesia Residency Training) program- This is a collaboration with Stanford Anesthesia (Dr Larry Chu) who initiated the very successful program there. In this project we shoot short videos of pertinent topics which follow a trigger video to reinforce basic concepts in anesthesia to residents.
- Yale Media Lab: We are currently involved in making videos for teaching. Garrett Sendlewski is the Associate at the media lab.
- Flipped classroom evaluation of course model.
- Simulation- We use simulation to reinforce important concepts for our residents. Currently we are designing scenarios and testing them before applying to practice.
- Co-founder of an anesthesia multimedia website (www.anesthesiaillustrated.com). This is a collaboration with Stanford Aim Lab, again under the direction of Dr Larry Chu. The goal is to create a library of education media that can be used by faculty and students in the specialty for learning and teaching.
- Building a patient education website for anesthesia with information we got from the survey of our pre-operative patients.
- Using flashcard app to create flashcards for anesthesia residents to prep for their board exams.
- Creating a curriculum for teaching residents how to teach. This will be focused on residents who want to learn more on teaching and learning theories.
- Studying the effects of a wellness curriculum on stress and burnout markers in anesthesia residents.
- Kannan J, Kurup V. Blended learning in anesthesia education - current state and future model. Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology 25 (6) , pp. 692-698
- Kurup, V., Considine, A., Hersey, D., Dai, F., Senior, A., Silverman, D.G., Dabu-Bondoc, S. Role of the Internet as an information resource for surgical patients: A survey of 877 patients (2013)British Journal of Anaesthesia
Images in Anesthesiology: Airway management in patients with Tracheal Bronchus
Wong F, Detterbeck F, Kurup V. Anesthesiology. 2016 Aug;125(2):395
Patient preferences on telemedicine for preanesthetic evaluation
Fishman M, Mirante B, Dai F, Kurup V. Can J Anaesth. 2015 Apr;62(4):433-4
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Kurup V, Matei V, Ray J: Role of in-situ simulation for training in healthcare: opportunities and challenges. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2017 Dec. PMID: 28968283
- Deshpande R, Band M, Kurup V: Persistent Left Superior Vena Cava: Unusual Catheter Position on Chest X-ray Film. Anesthesiology. 2017 Jul. PMID: 28187019
- Wong F, Detterbeck F, Kurup V: Images in Anesthesiology: Airway Management in Patients with Tracheal Bronchus. Anesthesiology. 2016 Aug. PMID: 26797155
- Kurup V, Dabu-Bondoc S, Senior A, Dai F, Hersey D, Vadivelu N: Concern for pain in the pre-operative period- is the internet being used for information by patients? Pain Pract. 2014 Feb; 2013 May 22. PMID: 23692356
- Kurup V: It is time to broaden our vision in medical education. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2013 Dec. PMID: 24126693
- Kurup V, Hersey D: The changing landscape of anesthesia education: is Flipped Classroom the answer? Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2013 Dec. PMID: 24126692
- Kurup V, Ostroff R: When cardiac patients need ECT--challenges for the anesthesiologist. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2012 Spring. PMID: 22481560
- Kurup V, Hersey D: Finding information by "design": search strategies for cardiothoracic and vascular anesthesia literature. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2010 Oct; 2010 Jan 27. PMID: 20110175
- Kurup V: E-patients--revolutionizing the practice of medicine. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2010 Summer. PMID: 20616641
- Kurup V: The new learners--Millennials!! Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2010 Summer. PMID: 20616635
- Kurup V, Rosenbaum SH: "Teaching 2.0" and the future of education in anesthesiology. Preface. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2010 Summer. PMID: 20616633
- Genzen JR, Fareed J, Hoppensteadt D, Kurup V, Barash P, Coady M, Wu YY: Prolonged elevation of plasma argatroban in a cardiac transplant patient with a suspected history of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia with thrombosis. Transfusion. 2010 Apr; 2009 Dec 10. PMID: 20003049
- Kurup V, Hersey D: The perioperative librarian: luxury or necessity? Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2007 Dec. PMID: 17989555
- Kurup V, Perrino A Jr, Barash P, Hashim SW: Infundibular pulmonary stenosis. Anesth Analg. 2007 Mar. PMID: 17312199
- Kurup V, Haddadin AS: Valvular heart diseases. Anesthesiol Clin. 2006 Sep. PMID: 17240603
- Kurup V, Transue S, Wu Y, Rinder HM, Barash P, Dewar M: Cardiac surgery in a patient with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia--cautions with use of the direct thrombin inhibitor, argatroban. Conn Med. 2006 Apr. PMID: 16768071
- Kurup V, Ramani R, Atanassoff PG: Sedation after spinal anesthesia in elderly patients: a preliminary observational study with the PSA-4000. Can J Anaesth. 2004 Jun-Jul. PMID: 15197118