Cell Biology; Molecular Biology; Myosins; Cytokinesis
Our laboratory investigates the molecular basis of cellular motility and cytokinesis. Actin-based cellular movements are essential for shaping organs during embryonic development, defense against microorganisms, and wiring the nervous system. Movement of cells out of primary tumors is the chief cause of mortality in cancer. Cytokinesis is essential for the replication of all cells and is still one of the least understood aspects of cell division. Half of the lab studies how assembly of actin filaments pushes forward the leading edge of motile cells and moves coated vesicles into cells. We discovered that Arp2/3 complex is both the central integrator of inputs from signaling pathways and initiator of actin filament assembly. Half of the lab uses fission yeast to study cytokinesis, still one of the most mysterious of cellular processes. We mapped the spatial and temporal pathway for the assembly of more than a dozen proteins in the equatorial contractile ring of actin filaments and myosin-II and are investigating how a formin protein mediates actin assembly and how cells trigger constriction of the ring at the end of mitosis.
Specialized Terms: Cytokinesis; cellular motility; role of actin filaments and myosin motors
Extensive Research Description
We use biochemical, biophysical, cellular, and genetic experiments to study the molecular mechanisms of actin-based cellular movements.
Actin-based movements: We study how cells control the assembly and disassembly of actinfilaments during cellular movements. We have projects on the structure and function of actin, Arp2/3 complex, activators of Arp2/3 complex (such as the Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein, WASp), profilin, ADF/cofilin and capping protein. We use fluorescence microscopy of proteins tagged with fluorescent fusion proteins to follow the time course of the interactions of these proteins during endocytosis in fission yeast.
Cytokinesis: We study the mechanism of cytokinesis using the fission yeast S. pombe as a favorable model organism to learn how cells pinch themselves in two when they divide. We investigate the early steps in the assembly of the cytokinetic contractile ring, so we study the structures and functions of the proteins that organize the precursors of the contractile ring, including anillin, myosin-II, a formin, an IQGAP and an F-BAR protein. Anillin and IQGAPs appear to be adapter proteins that form a scaffold for the other proteins. Formins grow actin filaments while remaining attached to the end of the elongating polymer. Myosin-II pulls together the precurors of the contractile ring and later constricts the contractile ring to pinch the daughter cells in two.
We use computer simulations of mathematical models to compare our ideas regarding mechanisms with observations in live cells.
- Effect of profilin on actin filament assembly
- Actin filament severing by cofilin
- Mechanism of actin filament nucleation by Arp2/3 complex
- Structural studies of nucleation promoting factors binding Arp2/3 complex
- Assembly and disassembly of actin patches at sites of endocytosis
- Role of F-BAR proteins in clathrin-mediated endocytosis
- Pathway of assembly of the contractile ring in fission yeast
- Role of anillin in organizing the contractile ring
- Role of IQGAP in organizing the contractile ring
- Role of F-BAR proteins in organizing the contractile ring
- Mechanism of actin filament nucleation and elongation by formins
- Mechanism of constriction and disassembly of the contractile ring
Assembly mechanism of the contractile ring for cytokinesis by fission yeast.
Vavylonis, D., Wu, J.-Q., Hao, S., O'Shaughnessy, B. and Pollard, T.D. (2008) Assembly mechanism of the contractile ring for cytokinesis by fission yeast. Science 319:97-100.
Control of the assembly of ATP- and ADP-actin by formins and profilin.
Kovar, D.R., Harris, E.S., Mahaffy, R.E., Higgs, H.N., and Pollard, T.D. (2006). Control of the assembly of ATP- and ADP-actin by formins and profilin. Cell 724:423-435.
Spatial and temporal pathway for assembly and constriction of the contractile ring in fission yeast cytokinesis.
Wu, J-Q., Kuhn, J. R., Kovar, D. R. and Pollard, T. D. Spatial and temporal pathway for assembly and constriction of the contractile ring in fission yeast cytokinesis. Devel. Cell 5, 723-734 (2003)
The role of the FH1 domain and profilin in formin-mediated actin filament elongation and nucleation.
Paul, A. and Pollard, T. D. The role of the FH1 domain and profilin in formin-mediated actin filament elongation and nucleation. Curr. Biol. 18, 9-19 (2008)
Insights into the influence of nucleotides on the actin family of proteins from seven crystal structures of bovine Arp2/3 complex.
Nolen, B. and Pollard, T. D. Insights into the influence of nucleotides on the actin family of proteins from seven crystal structures of bovine Arp2/3 complex. Mol. Cell 26, 449-457 (2007)
Mechanism of cytokinetic ring constriction in fission yeast.
Stachowiak, M.R., Laplante, C., Chin, H.F., Guirao, B., Karatekin, E., Pollard. T.D. and O’Shaughnessy, B. (2014) Mechanism of cytokinetic ring constriction in fission yeast. Devel. Cell 29:547-561.
Cytokinetic nodes in fission yeast arise from two distinct types of nodes that merge during interphase.
Akamatsu, M.S., Berro, J., Pu, K.-M., Tebbs, I.R. and Pollard, T.D. (2014) Cytokinetic nodes in fission yeast arise from two distinct types of nodes that merge during interphase. J. Cell Biol. 204:977-988.
- Actin filament severing by cofilin contributes to both assembly and disassembly of endocytic actin patches Chen, Q. and Pollard, T.D. (2013) Actin filament severing by cofilin contributes to both assembly and disassembly of endocytic actin patches. Curr. Biol. 23:1154-1162.
Distinct roles for F-BAR proteins Cdc15p and Bzz1p in actin polymerization at sites of endocytosis in fission yeast.
Arasada, R. and Pollard, T.D. (2011) Distinct roles for F-BAR proteins Cdc15p and Bzz1p in actin polymerization at sites of endocytosis in fission yeast. Current Biol. 21:1450-1459.
Structural and biochemical characterization of two binding sites for nucleation promoting factor WASp-VCA on Arp2/3 complex.
Ti, S.-C., Jurgenson, C., Nolen, B.J., and Pollard, T.D. (2011) Structural and biochemical characterization of two binding sites for nucleation promoting factor WASp-VCA on Arp2/3 complex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108:E463-71.
Local and global analysis of endocytic patches dynamics in fission yeast using a new “temporal super-resolution” realignment method.
Berro, J. and Pollard, T.D. (2014) Molec. Biol. Cell. 25:3501-3514.
Three myosins contribute uniquely to the assembly and constriction of the cytokinetic contractile ring in fission yeast
Laplante, C., Berro, J., Karatekin, E., Lee, R., Hernandez-Leyva, A. and Pollard, T.D. (2015) Curr. Biol. 25:1955-1965.
Avoiding artifacts when counting polymerized actin in live cells with Lifeact fused to fluorescent proteins
Courtemanche, N., Pollard, T.D. and Chen, Q. (2016) Nature Cell Biol. 18:676-683
Molecular organization of cytokinesis nodes and contractile ring by super- resolution fluorescence microscopy of live fission yeast
Laplante, C., Huang, F., Tebbs, I.R., Bewersdorf, J. and Pollard, T.D. (2016) Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA. 113:E5876-E5885.
Avoiding artifacts when counting polymerized actin in live cells with Lifeact fused to fluorescent proteins
Courtemanche, N., Pollard, T.D. and Chen, Q. (2016) Nature Cell Biol. 18:676-683
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Pollard TD: Nine unanswered questions about cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2017 Oct 2; 2017 Aug 14. PMID: 28807993
- Pollard TD: A Third Look at the Structure of Leiomodin Bound to Actin. Biophys J. 2017 Aug 22. PMID: 28834712
- Pollard TD: Cytoplasmic movements outside the living cell. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2017 Jul; 2017 May 31. PMID: 28559574
- Pollard TD: Tribute to Fumio Oosawa the pioneer in actin biophysics. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2017 Jun 15; 2017 Jun 15. PMID: 28618211
- Akamatsu M, Lin Y, Bewersdorf J, Pollard TD: Analysis of interphase node proteins in fission yeast by quantitative and super resolution fluorescence microscopy. Mol Biol Cell. 2017 May 24; 2017 May 24. PMID: 28539404
- Anderson KL, Page C, Swift MF, Suraneni P, Janssen MEW, Pollard TD, Li R, Volkmann N, Hanein D: Nano-scale actin-network characterization of fibroblast cells lacking functional Arp2/3 complex. J Struct Biol. 2017 Mar; 2016 Dec 21. PMID: 28013022
- Laplante C, Pollard TD: Response to Zambon et al. Curr Biol. 2017 Feb 6. PMID: 28171751
- Pollard TD: What We Know and Do Not Know About Actin. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2017. PMID: 27873086
- Noble DB, Mochrie SG, O'Hern CS, Pollard TD, Regan L: Promoting convergence: The integrated graduate program in physical and engineering biology at Yale University, a new model for graduate education. Biochem Mol Biol Educ. 2016 Nov 12; 2016 Jun 13. PMID: 27292366
- Antonny B, Burd C, De Camilli P, Chen E, Daumke O, Faelber K, Ford M, Frolov VA, Frost A, Hinshaw JE, Kirchhausen T, Kozlov MM, Lenz M, Low HH, McMahon H, Merrifield C, Pollard TD, Robinson PJ, Roux A, Schmid S: Membrane fission by dynamin: what we know and what we need to know. EMBO J. 2016 Nov 2; 2016 Sep 26. PMID: 27670760
- Pollard TD: Theory from the Oster Laboratory Leaps Ahead of Experiment in Understanding Actin-Based Cellular Motility. Biophys J. 2016 Oct 18. PMID: 27760345
- Laplante C, Huang F, Tebbs IR, Bewersdorf J, Pollard TD: Molecular organization of cytokinesis nodes and contractile rings by super-resolution fluorescence microscopy of live fission yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Oct 4; 2016 Sep 19. PMID: 27647921
- Pollard TD: Actin and Actin-Binding Proteins. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2016 Aug 1; 2016 Aug 1. PMID: 26988969
- Courtemanche N, Pollard TD, Chen Q: Avoiding artefacts when counting polymerized actin in live cells with LifeAct fused to fluorescent proteins. Nat Cell Biol. 2016 Jun; 2016 May 9. PMID: 27159499
- O'Shaughnessy B, Pollard TD: Mechanistic biological modeling thrives. Science. 2016 Jan 15. PMID: 26816369
- Laplante C, Huang F, Bewersdorf J, Pollard TD: High-Speed Super-Resolution Imaging of Live Fission Yeast Cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2016. PMID: 26519304
- Pollard TD: New Light on Growth Cone Navigation. Dev Cell. 2015 Dec 21. PMID: 26702827
- Thiyagarajan S, Munteanu EL, Arasada R, Pollard TD, O'Shaughnessy B: The fission yeast cytokinetic contractile ring regulates septum shape and closure. J Cell Sci. 2015 Oct 1; 2015 Aug 3. PMID: 26240178
- Jurgenson CT, Pollard TD: Crystals of the Arp2/3 complex in two new space groups with structural information about actin-related protein 2 and potential WASP binding sites. Acta Crystallogr F Struct Biol Commun. 2015 Sep; 2015 Aug 25. PMID: 26323303
- Laplante C, Berro J, Karatekin E, Hernandez-Leyva A, Lee R, Pollard TD: Three myosins contribute uniquely to the assembly and constriction of the fission yeast cytokinetic contractile ring. Curr Biol. 2015 Aug 3; 2015 Jul 2. PMID: 26144970
- Arasada R, Pollard TD: A role for F-BAR protein Rga7p during cytokinesis in S. pombe. J Cell Sci. 2015 Jul 1; 2015 May 14. PMID: 25977474
- Courtemanche N, Gifford SM, Simpson MA, Pollard TD, Koleske AJ: Abl2/Abl-related gene stabilizes actin filaments, stimulates actin branching by actin-related protein 2/3 complex, and promotes actin filament severing by cofilin. J Biol Chem. 2015 Feb 13; 2014 Dec 24. PMID: 25540195
- Chen Q, Courtemanche N, Pollard TD: Aip1 promotes actin filament severing by cofilin and regulates constriction of the cytokinetic contractile ring. J Biol Chem. 2015 Jan 23; 2014 Dec 1. PMID: 25451933
- Baker JL, Courtemanche N, Parton DL, McCullagh M, Pollard TD, Voth GA: Electrostatic interactions between the Bni1p Formin FH2 domain and actin influence actin filament nucleation. Structure. 2015 Jan 6; 2014 Dec 4. PMID: 25482541
- Pollard TD: The value of mechanistic biophysical information for systems-level understanding of complex biological processes such as cytokinesis. Biophys J. 2014 Dec 2; 2014 Dec 2. PMID: 25468329
- Berro J, Pollard TD: Synergies between Aip1p and capping protein subunits (Acp1p and Acp2p) in clathrin-mediated endocytosis and cell polarization in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2014 Nov 5; 2014 Aug 20. PMID: 25143407
- Berro J, Pollard TD: Local and global analysis of endocytic patch dynamics in fission yeast using a new "temporal superresolution" realignment method. Mol Biol Cell. 2014 Nov 5; 2014 Aug 20. PMID: 25143395
- Arasada R, Pollard TD: Contractile ring stability in S. pombe depends on F-BAR protein Cdc15p and Bgs1p transport from the Golgi complex. Cell Rep. 2014 Sep 11; 2014 Aug 21. PMID: 25159149
- Goss JW, Kim S, Bledsoe H, Pollard TD: Characterization of the roles of Blt1p in fission yeast cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2014 Jul 1; 2014 Apr 30. PMID: 24790095
- Stachowiak MR, Laplante C, Chin HF, Guirao B, Karatekin E, Pollard TD, O'Shaughnessy B: Mechanism of cytokinetic contractile ring constriction in fission yeast. Dev Cell. 2014 Jun 9. PMID: 24914559
- Akamatsu M, Berro J, Pu KM, Tebbs IR, Pollard TD: Cytokinetic nodes in fission yeast arise from two distinct types of nodes that merge during interphase. J Cell Biol. 2014 Mar 17. PMID: 24637325
- Pollard TD: No question about exciting questions in cell biology. PLoS Biol. 2013 Dec; 2013 Dec 10. PMID: 24348201
- Courtemanche N, Pollard TD: Interaction of profilin with the barbed end of actin filaments. Biochemistry. 2013 Sep 17; 2013 Aug 30. PMID: 23947767
- McCormick CD, Akamatsu MS, Ti SC, Pollard TD: Measuring affinities of fission yeast spindle pole body proteins in live cells across the cell cycle. Biophys J. 2013 Sep 17. PMID: 24047983
- Pollard TD, Goldman YE: Remembrance of Hugh E. Huxley, a founder of our field. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2013 Sep. PMID: 24106169
- Chen Q, Pollard TD: Actin filament severing by cofilin dismantles actin patches and produces mother filaments for new patches. Curr Biol. 2013 Jul 8; 2013 May 30. PMID: 23727096
- Courtemanche N, Lee JY, Pollard TD, Greene EC: Tension modulates actin filament polymerization mediated by formin and profilin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Jun 11; 2013 May 28. PMID: 23716666
- Tebbs IR, Pollard TD: Separate roles of IQGAP Rng2p in forming and constricting the Schizosaccharomyces pombe cytokinetic contractile ring. Mol Biol Cell. 2013 Jun; 2013 Apr 24. PMID: 23615450
- Pollard TD, De La Cruz EM: Take advantage of time in your experiments: a guide to simple, informative kinetics assays. Mol Biol Cell. 2013 Apr. PMID: 23580192
- Pollard TD: Political advocacy by the American Society for Cell Biology and its partners. Mol Biol Cell. 2012 Nov. PMID: 23112231
- Pollard TD: The obligation for biologists to commit to political advocacy. Cell. 2012 Oct 12. PMID: 23063115
- Pollard TD, Burgess D, Mabuchi I: Remembrance of Ray Rappaport, pioneer in the study of cytokinesis. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2012 Oct. PMID: 23090761
- Saha S, Pollard TD: Characterization of structural and functional domains of the anillin-related protein Mid1p that contribute to cytokinesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2012 Oct; 2012 Aug 23. PMID: 22918954
- Saha S, Pollard TD: Anillin-related protein Mid1p coordinates the assembly of the cytokinetic contractile ring in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2012 Oct; 2012 Aug 23. PMID: 22918943
- Yang Q, Zhang XF, Pollard TD, Forscher P: Arp2/3 complex-dependent actin networks constrain myosin II function in driving retrograde actin flow. J Cell Biol. 2012 Jun 25; 2012 Jun 18. PMID: 22711700
- Courtemanche N, Pollard TD: Determinants of Formin Homology 1 (FH1) domain function in actin filament elongation by formins. J Biol Chem. 2012 Mar 2; 2012 Jan 14. PMID: 22247555
- Chen Q, Nag S, Pollard TD: Formins filter modified actin subunits during processive elongation. J Struct Biol. 2012 Jan; 2011 Oct 25. PMID: 22056467
- Chen Q, Pollard TD: Actin filament severing by cofilin is more important for assembly than constriction of the cytokinetic contractile ring. J Cell Biol. 2011 Oct 31; 2011 Oct 24. PMID: 22024167
- Arasada R, Pollard TD: Distinct roles for F-BAR proteins Cdc15p and Bzz1p in actin polymerization at sites of endocytosis in fission yeast. Curr Biol. 2011 Sep 13; 2011 Sep 1. PMID: 21885283
- Ti SC, Jurgenson CT, Nolen BJ, Pollard TD: Structural and biochemical characterization of two binding sites for nucleation-promoting factor WASp-VCA on Arp2/3 complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Aug 16; 2011 Jun 15. PMID: 21676862
- Ti SC, Pollard TD: Purification of actin from fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe and characterization of functional differences from muscle actin. J Biol Chem. 2011 Feb 18; 2010 Dec 9. PMID: 21148484
- Pollard TD: Cell biology. Formin tip tracking. Science. 2011 Jan 7. PMID: 21212345
- Pollard TD: A guide to simple and informative binding assays. Mol Biol Cell. 2010 Dec. PMID: 21115850
- Dalhaimer P, Pollard TD: Molecular dynamics simulations of Arp2/3 complex activation. Biophys J. 2010 Oct 20. PMID: 20959098
- Sirotkin V, Berro J, Macmillan K, Zhao L, Pollard TD: Quantitative analysis of the mechanism of endocytic actin patch assembly and disassembly in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2010 Aug 15; 2010 Jun 29. PMID: 20587778
- Berro J, Sirotkin V, Pollard TD: Mathematical modeling of endocytic actin patch kinetics in fission yeast: disassembly requires release of actin filament fragments. Mol Biol Cell. 2010 Aug 15; 2010 Jun 29. PMID: 20587776
- Miller MM, Lapetina S, MacGrath SM, Sfakianos MK, Pollard TD, Koleske AJ: Regulation of actin polymerization and adhesion-dependent cell edge protrusion by the Abl-related gene (Arg) tyrosine kinase and N-WASp. Biochemistry. 2010 Mar 16. PMID: 20146487
- Pollard TD: Mechanics of cytokinesis in eukaryotes. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2010 Feb; 2009 Dec 22. PMID: 20031383
- Pollard TD, Wu JQ: Understanding cytokinesis: lessons from fission yeast. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2010 Feb. PMID: 20094054
- Pollard TD, Cooper JA: Actin, a central player in cell shape and movement. Science. 2009 Nov 27. PMID: 19965462
- Paul AS, Pollard TD: Review of the mechanism of processive actin filament elongation by formins. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2009 Aug. PMID: 19459187
- Paul AS, Pollard TD: Energetic requirements for processive elongation of actin filaments by FH1FH2-formins. J Biol Chem. 2009 May 1; 2009 Feb 26. PMID: 19251693
- Chan C, Beltzner CC, Pollard TD: Cofilin dissociates Arp2/3 complex and branches from actin filaments. Curr Biol. 2009 Apr 14. PMID: 19362000
- Pollard TD, Berro J: Mathematical models and simulations of cellular processes based on actin filaments. J Biol Chem. 2009 Feb 27; 2008 Oct 20. PMID: 18940808
- Ezezika OC, Younger NS, Lu J, Kaiser DA, Corbin ZA, Nolen BJ, Kovar DR, Pollard TD: Incompatibility with formin Cdc12p prevents human profilin from substituting for fission yeast profilin: insights from crystal structures of fission yeast profilin. J Biol Chem. 2009 Jan 23; 2008 Nov 20. PMID: 19028693
- Nolen BJ, Pollard TD: Structure and biochemical properties of fission yeast Arp2/3 complex lacking the Arp2 subunit. J Biol Chem. 2008 Sep 26; 2008 Jul 18. PMID: 18640983
- Mahaffy RE, Pollard TD: Influence of phalloidin on the formation of actin filament branches by Arp2/3 complex. Biochemistry. 2008 Jun 17; 2008 May 20. PMID: 18489122
- Pollard TD: Progress towards understanding the mechanism of cytokinesis in fission yeast. Biochem Soc Trans. 2008 Jun. PMID: 18481973
- Beltzner CC, Pollard TD: Pathway of actin filament branch formation by Arp2/3 complex. J Biol Chem. 2008 Mar 14; 2007 Dec 29. PMID: 18165685
- Dalhaimer P, Pollard TD, Nolen BJ: Nucleotide-mediated conformational changes of monomeric actin and Arp3 studied by molecular dynamics simulations. J Mol Biol. 2008 Feb 8; 2007 Nov 28. PMID: 18155236
- Paul AS, Pollard TD: The role of the FH1 domain and profilin in formin-mediated actin-filament elongation and nucleation. Curr Biol. 2008 Jan 8; 2007 Dec 20. PMID: 18160294
- Kuhn JR, Pollard TD: Single molecule kinetic analysis of actin filament capping. Polyphosphoinositides do not dissociate capping proteins. J Biol Chem. 2007 Sep 21; 2007 Jul 26. PMID: 17656356
- Fujiwara I, Vavylonis D, Pollard TD: Polymerization kinetics of ADP- and ADP-Pi-actin determined by fluorescence microscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 May 22; 2007 May 15. PMID: 17517656
- Nolen BJ, Pollard TD: Insights into the influence of nucleotides on actin family proteins from seven structures of Arp2/3 complex. Mol Cell. 2007 May 11. PMID: 17499050
- Pollard TD: Regulation of actin filament assembly by Arp2/3 complex and formins. Annu Rev Biophys Biomol Struct. 2007. PMID: 17477841
- Mahaffy RE, Pollard TD: Kinetics of the formation and dissociation of actin filament branches mediated by Arp2/3 complex. Biophys J. 2006 Nov 1; 2006 Aug 11. PMID: 16905606
- Andrianantoandro E, Pollard TD: Mechanism of actin filament turnover by severing and nucleation at different concentrations of ADF/cofilin. Mol Cell. 2006 Oct 6. PMID: 17018289
- Wu JQ, Sirotkin V, Kovar DR, Lord M, Beltzner CC, Kuhn JR, Pollard TD: Assembly of the cytokinetic contractile ring from a broad band of nodes in fission yeast. J Cell Biol. 2006 Jul 31; 2006 Jul 24. PMID: 16864655
- Kovar DR, Harris ES, Mahaffy R, Higgs HN, Pollard TD: Control of the assembly of ATP- and ADP-actin by formins and profilin. Cell. 2006 Jan 27. PMID: 16439214
- Lord M, Laves E, Pollard TD: Cytokinesis depends on the motor domains of myosin-II in fission yeast but not in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2005 Nov; 2005 Sep 7. PMID: 16148042
- Wu JQ, Pollard TD: Counting cytokinesis proteins globally and locally in fission yeast. Science. 2005 Oct 14. PMID: 16224022
- Sirotkin V, Beltzner CC, Marchand JB, Pollard TD: Interactions of WASp, myosin-I, and verprolin with Arp2/3 complex during actin patch assembly in fission yeast. J Cell Biol. 2005 Aug 15; 2005 Aug 8. PMID: 16087707
- Kovar DR, Wu JQ, Pollard TD: Profilin-mediated competition between capping protein and formin Cdc12p during cytokinesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2005 May; 2005 Mar 2. PMID: 15743909
- Kuhn JR, Pollard TD: Real-time measurements of actin filament polymerization by total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy. Biophys J. 2005 Feb; 2004 Nov 19. PMID: 15556992
- Nolen BJ, Littlefield RS, Pollard TD: Crystal structures of actin-related protein 2/3 complex with bound ATP or ADP. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 Nov 2; 2004 Oct 25. PMID: 15505213
- Lord M, Pollard TD: UCS protein Rng3p activates actin filament gliding by fission yeast myosin-II. J Cell Biol. 2004 Oct 25. PMID: 15504913
- Kovar DR, Pollard TD: Insertional assembly of actin filament barbed ends in association with formins produces piconewton forces. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 Oct 12; 2004 Sep 17. PMID: 15377785
- Pollard TD: Formins coming into focus. Dev Cell. 2004 Mar. PMID: 15030751
- Beltzner CC, Pollard TD: Identification of functionally important residues of Arp2/3 complex by analysis of homology models from diverse species. J Mol Biol. 2004 Feb 13. PMID: 14757065
- Golemi-Kotra D, Mahaffy R, Footer MJ, Holtzman JH, Pollard TD, Theriot JA, Schepartz A: High affinity, paralog-specific recognition of the Mena EVH1 domain by a miniature protein. J Am Chem Soc. 2004 Jan 14. PMID: 14709031
- Pollard TD: Ray Rappaport chronology: Twenty-five years of seminal papers on cytokinesis in the Journal of Experimental Zoology. J Exp Zool A Comp Exp Biol. 2004 Jan 1. PMID: 14695684
- Wu JQ, Kuhn JR, Kovar DR, Pollard TD: Spatial and temporal pathway for assembly and constriction of the contractile ring in fission yeast cytokinesis. Dev Cell. 2003 Nov. PMID: 14602073
- Kovar DR, Kuhn JR, Tichy AL, Pollard TD: The fission yeast cytokinesis formin Cdc12p is a barbed end actin filament capping protein gated by profilin. J Cell Biol. 2003 Jun 9. PMID: 12796476
- Pollard TD: The cytoskeleton, cellular motility and the reductionist agenda. Nature. 2003 Apr 17. PMID: 12700767
- Pollard TD, Borisy GG: Cellular motility driven by assembly and disassembly of actin filaments. Cell. 2003 Feb 21. PMID: 12600310
- Pollard TD: Functional genomics of cell morphology using RNA interference: pick your style, broad or deep. J Biol. 2003; 2003 Oct 1. PMID: 14527346
- Pollard TD, Beltzner CC: Structure and function of the Arp2/3 complex. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2002 Dec. PMID: 12504682
- Pollard TD: Cellular motility powered by actin filament assembly and disassembly. Harvey Lect. 2002-2003. PMID: 16033155