Child Abuse; Father-Child Relations; Fathers; Parent-Child Relations; Parents; Domestic Violence; Substance-Related Disorders; Reproductive Behavior
Public Health Interests
Child Development, Policies, Programs; Child Mental Health
As a clinical child and school psychologist, Dr. McMahon is broadly interested in ways the principles of developmental psychopathology can be used to explore the impact of substance abuse on family process and the psychosocial development of children. He is particularly interested in (a) the impact of substance abuse on fathering, (b) parenting as a treatment issue for substance-abusing men and women, and (c) the development of parent intervention for men and women enrolled in substance abuse treatment.
- McMahon, T. J. (2013). Substance-abusing fathers: A developmental perspective. In N. E. Suchman, M. Pajulo, & L. C. Mayes (Eds.), Parenting and substance addiction: Developmental approaches to intervention (pp. 156-182). New York: Oxford University Press.
- McMahon, T. J. (2013). Fathers Too! Building parent intervention for substance-abusing men. In N. E. Suchman, M. Pajulo, & L. C. Mayes (Eds.), Parenting and substance addiction: Developmental approaches to intervention (pp. 447-468). New York: Oxford University Press.
Drug abuse and intimate partner violence: a comparative study of opioid-dependent fathers.
Moore, B. C., Easton, C. J., & McMahon, T. J. (2011). Drug abuse and intimate partner violence: A comparative study of opioid-dependent fathers. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 81, 218-227.
Drug-abuse and responsible fathering: A comparative study of men enrolled in methadone maintenance treatment.
McMahon, T. J., Winkel, J. D., & Rounsaville, B. J. (2008). Drug-abuse and responsible fathering: A comparative study of men enrolled in methadone maintenance treatment. Addiction, 103, 269-283.
Drug-abusing fathers: Patterns of pair-bonding, reproduction, and paternal involvement.
McMahon, T. J., Winkel, J. D., Suchman, N. E., & Rounsaville, B. J. (2007). Drug-abusing fathers: Patterns of pair-bonding, reproduction, and paternal involvement. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 33, 295-302.
- McMahon, T. J., & Giannini, F. D. (2003). Substance-abusing fathers in family court: Moving from popular stereotypes to therapeutic jurisprudence. Family Court Review, 41, 337-353.
Substance abuse and fathering: Adding poppa to the research agenda.
McMahon, T. J., & Rounsaville, B. J. (2002). Substance abuse and fathering: Adding poppa to the research agenda. Addiction, 97, 1109-1115.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Suchman NE, DeCoste CL, McMahon TJ, Dalton R, Mayes LC, Borelli J: Mothering From the Inside Out: Results of a second randomized clinical trial testing a mentalization-based intervention for mothers in addiction treatment. Dev Psychopathol. 2017 May. PMID: 28401850
- Ansary NS, McMahon TJ, Luthar SS: Trajectories of emotional-behavioral difficulty and academic competence: A 6-year, person-centered, prospective study of affluent suburban adolescents. Dev Psychopathol. 2017 Feb; 2016 Feb 22. PMID: 26899949
- Suchman NE, Ordway MR, de Las Heras L, McMahon TJ: Mothering from the Inside Out: results of a pilot study testing a mentalization-based therapy for mothers enrolled in mental health services. Attach Hum Dev. 2016 Dec; 2016 Aug 30. PMID: 27575343
- Lazar CM, Black AC, McMahon TJ, Rosenheck RA, Ries R, Ames D, Rosen MI: All-data approach to assessing financial capability in people with psychiatric disabilities. Psychol Assess. 2016 Apr; 2015 Jul 6. PMID: 26146947
- Black AC, McMahon TJ, Potenza MN, Fiellin LE, Rosen MI: Gender moderates the relationship between impulsivity and sexual risk-taking in a cocaine-using psychiatric outpatient population. Pers Individ Dif. 2015 Mar 1. PMID: 25554716
- Lazar CM, Black AC, McMahon TJ, O'Shea K, Rosen MI: Ambiguity in determining financial capability of SSI and SSDI beneficiaries with psychiatric disabilities. Psychiatr Serv. 2015 Mar 1; 2014 Dec 1. PMID: 25727116
- McMahon TJ: Child maltreatment and emerging adulthood: past, present, and future. Child Maltreat. 2014 Aug-Nov; 2014 Oct 30. PMID: 25361790
- Black AC, McMahon TJ, Rosenheck RA, Ball SA, Ries RK, Ames D, Rosen MI: Development of the Clinician Assessment of Financial Incapability (CAFI). Psychiatry Res. 2014 Mar 30; 2014 Jan 22. PMID: 24495575
- Krishnan-Sarin S, Cavallo DA, Cooney JL, Schepis TS, Kong G, Liss TB, Liss AK, McMahon TJ, Nich C, Babuscio T, Rounsaville BJ, Carroll KM: An exploratory randomized controlled trial of a novel high-school-based smoking cessation intervention for adolescent smokers using abstinence-contingent incentives and cognitive behavioral therapy. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 Sep 1; 2013 Mar 22. PMID: 23523130
- Stover CS, Easton CJ, McMahon TJ: Parenting of men with co-occurring intimate partner violence and substance abuse. J Interpers Violence. 2013 Jul; 2013 Feb 19. PMID: 23422845
- Kong G, Smith AE, McMahon TJ, Cavallo DA, Schepis TS, Desai RA, Potenza MN, Krishnan-Sarin S: Pubertal status, sensation-seeking, impulsivity, and substance use in high school-aged boys and girls. J Addict Med. 2013 Mar-Apr. PMID: 23370933
- Stover CS, Hall C, McMahon TJ, Easton CJ: Fathers entering substance abuse treatment: An examination of substance abuse, trauma symptoms and parenting behaviors. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2012 Oct; 2012 Feb 2. PMID: 22305235
- Suchman NE, Decoste C, Rosenberger P, McMahon TJ: ATTACHMENT-BASED INTERVENTION FOR SUBSTANCE-USING MOTHERS: A PRELIMINARY TEST OF THE PROPOSED MECHANISMS OF CHANGE. Infant Ment Health J. 2012 Jul 1; 2012 Apr 24. PMID: 23024442
- David DH, McMahon TJ, Luthar SL, Suchman NE: Sensation seeking, coping with stress, and readiness to engage in therapy: does ego development influence the psychosocial functioning of substance-abusing mothers? Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2012 Apr. PMID: 22506525
- McMahon TJ: Commentary: Building a developmental-ecological model of criminal culpability during adolescence. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2012. PMID: 22396339
- Palmer RS, McMahon TJ, Moreggi DI, Rounsaville BJ, Ball SA: College Student Drug Use: Patterns, Concerns, Consequences, and Interest in Intervention. J Coll Stud Dev. 2012 Jan. PMID: 24339478
- Suchman NE, Decoste C, McMahon TJ, Rounsaville B, Mayes L: THE MOTHERS AND TODDLERS PROGRAM, AN ATTACHMENT-BASED PARENTING INTERVENTION FOR SUBSTANCE-USING WOMEN: RESULTS AT 6-WEEK FOLLOW-UP IN A RANDOMIZED CLINICAL PILOT. Infant Ment Health J. 2011 Jul; 2011 Jun 14. PMID: 22685361
- Moore BC, Easton CJ, McMahon TJ: Drug abuse and intimate partner violence: a comparative study of opioid-dependent fathers. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2011 Apr. PMID: 21486264
- Smith Stover C, McMahon TJ, Easton C: The impact of fatherhood on treatment response for men with co-occurring alcohol dependence and intimate partner violence. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2011 Jan; 2010 Nov 19. PMID: 21090960
- Moore BC, Biegel DE, McMahon TJ: Maladaptive Coping as a Mediator of Family Stress. J Soc Work Pract Addict. 2011 Jan. PMID: 21499498
- Suchman NE, DeCoste C, Castiglioni N, McMahon TJ, Rounsaville B, Mayes L: The Mothers and Toddlers Program, an attachment-based parenting intervention for substance using women: post-treatment results from a randomized clinical pilot. Attach Hum Dev. 2010 Sep. PMID: 20730641
- Palmer RS, McMahon TJ, Rounsaville BJ, Ball SA: Coercive sexual experiences, protective behavioral strategies, alcohol expectancies and consumption among male and female college students. J Interpers Violence. 2010 Sep; 2009 Dec 29. PMID: 20040711
- McMahon TJ, Winkel JD, Rounsaville BJ: Drug abuse and responsible fathering: a comparative study of men enrolled in methadone maintenance treatment. Addiction. 2008 Feb. PMID: 18199306
- McMahon TJ, Winkel JD, Suchman NE, Rounsaville BJ: Drug-abusing fathers: patterns of pair bonding, reproduction, and paternal involvement. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2007 Oct; 2007 Feb 22. PMID: 17399935
- McMahon TJ, Luthar SS: Defining characteristics and potential consequences of caretaking burden among children living in urban poverty. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2007 Apr. PMID: 17535125
- Rosen MI, McMahon TJ, Rosenheck R: Does assigning a representative payee reduce substance abuse? Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007 Jan 12; 2006 Jul 12. PMID: 16839710
- Rosen MI, Dieckhaus K, McMahon TJ, Valdes B, Petry NM, Cramer J, Rounsaville B: Improved adherence with contingency management. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2007 Jan. PMID: 17263651
- Rosen MI, McMahon TJ, Rosenheck RA: Homeless people whose self-reported SSI/DI status is inconsistent with Social Security Administration records. Soc Secur Bull. 2007. PMID: 17972788
- Krishnan-Sarin S, Duhig AM, McKee SA, McMahon TJ, Liss T, McFetridge A, Cavallo DA: Contingency management for smoking cessation in adolescent smokers. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006 Aug. PMID: 16893273
- Suchman NE, McMahon TJ, Zhang H, Mayes LC, Luthar S: Substance-abusing mothers and disruptions in child custody: an attachment perspective. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2006 Apr. PMID: 16616163
- Rosen MI, McMahon TJ, Lin H, Rosenheck RA: Effect of Social Security payments on substance abuse in a homeless mentally ill cohort. Health Serv Res. 2006 Feb. PMID: 16430606
- McMahon TJ, Luthar SS: Patterns and correlates of substance use among affluent, suburban high school students. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2006 Feb. PMID: 16390304
- Suchman NE, McMahon TJ, Slade A, Luthar SS: How early bonding, depression, illicit drug use, and perceived support work together to influence drug-dependent mothers' caregiving. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2005 Jul. PMID: 16060738
- McMahon TJ, Winkel JD, Luthar SS, Rounsaville BJ: Looking for poppa: parenting status of men versus women seeking drug abuse treatment. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2005. PMID: 15768572
- Suchman NE, McMahon TJ, Luthar SS: Interpersonal maladjustment as predictor of mothers' response to a relational parenting intervention. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2004 Sep. PMID: 15450646
- Benway CB, Hamrin V, McMahon TJ: Initial appointment nonattendance in child and family mental health clinics. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2003 Oct. PMID: 14609404
- McMahon TJ, Rounsaville BJ: Substance abuse and fathering: adding poppa to the research agenda. Addiction. 2002 Sep. PMID: 12199823
- McMahon TJ, Winkel JD, Suchman NE, Luthar SS: Drug dependence, parenting responsibilities, and treatment history: why doesn't mom go for help? Drug Alcohol Depend. 2002 Jan 1. PMID: 11772472
- Styron TH, Pruett MK, McMahon TJ, Davidson L: Fathers with serious mental illnesses: a neglected group. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2002 Winter. PMID: 11859994