Terri R Fried MD
Professor of Medicine (Geriatrics)
Treatment decision-making; Preferences; Advance care planning; Multiple conditions
The long–term goal of Dr. Fried’s research is to improve treatment decision-making for older persons. It seeks to enhance the frequency and quality of shared decision–making in order to provide patients with care that best meets their treatment preferences. In order to achieve this goal, her research has focused on a) expanding the treatment choices available to older persons for their care, b) eliciting their preferences for these different options, and c) identifying barriers to honoring patients’ preferences.
- Fried TR, Tinetti ME, Towle V, O’Leary JR, Iannone L. Effects of benefits and harms on older persons’ willingness to take primary cardiovascular medication. Arch Intern Med 2011; 171:923-928. PMC3101287.
- Fried TR, Tinetti ME, Iannone L. Primary care clinicians’ experiences with treatment decision-making for older persons with multiple conditions. Arch Intern Med 2010; 171:75-80. PMC3021478.
- Sudore RL, Fried TR. Redefining the “planning” in advance care planning: preparing for end-of-life decision making. Ann Intern Med 2010;153:256-61. PMC2935810.
- Solomon R, Kirwin P, Van Ness PH, O’Leary J, Fried TR. Trajectories of quality of life in older persons with advanced illness. J Am Geriatr Soc 2010;58:837-43. NIHMS224581.
- Fried TR, Bullock K, Iannone L, O’Leary JR. Understanding advance care planning as a process of health behavior change. J Am Geriatr Soc 2009;57:1547-1555.
- Fried TR, O’Leary JR. Using the experiences of bereaved caregivers to inform patient- and caregiver-centered advance care planning. J Gen Intern Med 200823:1602-7.
- Fried TR, McGraw S, Agostini JV, Tinetti ME. Views of older persons with multiple morbidities on competing outcomes and clinical decision-making. J Am Geriatr Soc 200856:1839–1844.
- Fried TR, Byers AL, Gallo WT, Van Ness PH, Towle VR, O’Leary JR, Dubin JA. Prospective study of health status preferences and changes in preferences over time in older adults. Arch Intern Med 2006166:890-895.
- Fried TR, Bradley EH, O’Leary J. Prognosis communication in serious illness: perceptions of patients, caregivers, and clinicians. J Am Geriatric Soc 200358:1398-1403.
- Fried TR, Bradley EH, Towle VR. Valuing the outcomes of treatment: Do patients and their caregivers agree? Arch Intern Med 2003163:2073-2078.