Diabetes Mellitus; Health Policy; Health Promotion; Kidney; Kidney Diseases; Kidney Failure, Chronic; Nephrology; Veterans; Clinical Trial; Telemedicine; Acute Kidney Injury; Health Care
Public Health Interests
Chronic Conditions; Chronic disease management; Clinical Guidelines; Clinical Trials; Diabetes; Health Care Quality; Health Policy; Health promotion-disease prevention; Health Services Research; Telemedicine
My research interests have centered on pharmacologic and dialytic strategies to reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with kidney failure. As an Executive Committee Member and /or a Site Investigator for the VA’s Cooperative Studies Program, I have conducted clinical trials targeting vascular access preservation and renal and cardiovascular risk reduction in chronic kidney disease, and all-cause mortality in acute kidney injury.
Specialized Terms: Kidney failure; Acute kidney injury; Chronic kidney disease; Dialysis; Health policy; Healthcare delivery
Extensive Research Description
I currently serve on the Advisory and/or Safety Boards of a number of multicenter clinical trials related to the management of patients with chronic kidney disease.
- Crowley, S.T. and Rodriguez, R. Innovations in Kidney Care Within the Veterans Heath Administration. ASN Kidney News. 2014; 6(2):7-9.
- Watnick S, Crowley S.T. End Stage Kidney Disease (ESKD) Care within the VA: A Forward-Looking Program with an Illuminating Past. American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2014; 63(3): 521-9.
- Kohler M, Amezega M, Drozd J, Crowley ST, Gulanski B, Anderson D, Fraenkel L, Use of computerized order set to increase prescription of calcium and vitamin D supplementation in patients receiving glucocorticoids. J Gen Intern Med 2013 June;28(6): 825-9.
- Crowley, ST. What is the risk of Hepatitis C spread in dialysis and how can we curtail it? Seminars in Dialysis. 2011; 24(4): 436-8.
- Palevsky PM, O'Connor TZ, Chertow GM, Crowley ST, Zhang JH, Kellum JA. Intensity of renal replacement therapy in acute kidney injury: perspective from within the Acute Renal Failure Trial Network Study. Crit Care 2009; 13(4):310.
- Crowley, S.T., Peixoto A. Acute Kidney Injury in the Intensive Care Unit. Clinics in Chest Medicine .2009; 30(1):29-43.
- Crowley, S.T., Chertow G, Vitale J, O’Connor T, Zhang J, Schein R, Choudhury D, Finkel K, Vijayan A, Paganini E, Pzalevsky P. (2008) Lessons for successful study enrollment from the Veterans Affairs/National Institutes of Health Acute Renal Failure Trial Network Study.
- Palevsky, PM, Zhang JH, O’Connor TZ, Chertow GM, Crowley S.T., Choudhury D, Finkel K, Kellum JA, Paganini E, Schein RMH, Smith MW, Swanson KM, Thompson BT, Vijayan A, Watnick S, Star RA, Peduzzi P. (2008) Intensity of renal support in critically ill patients with acute kidney injury.
- Rajashekar A, Perazella M, Crowley, S.T. “Systemic Disease With Renal Manifestations.” Primary Care Clinics in Office Practice 2008; 35(2):297-328