Suchitra Krishnan-Sarin PhD
Associate Professor of Psychiatry; Vice-Chair, Human Investigations Committee II & IV
Substance use; Alcohol; Tobacco; Marijuana; Adolescent; Developmental; Prevention; Cessation; Biobehavioral
- To develop novel high school based tobacco cessation and prevention interventions for adolescent smokers using behavioral techniques and pharmacotherapy.
- To develop empirical scientific evidence to support national and international tobacco regulatory efforts.
- To understand the role of flavors in tobacco/nicotine addiction
- To develop novel marijuana prevention and cessation programs for adolescents
- To use a developmental perspective, and behavioral and neuroimaging methods, to understand the prevalence and biobehavioral underpinnings of high risk behaviors, including substance use, among adolescents.
- To examine the effects of glutamatergic and opiodergic agents on alcohol drinking behaviors including craving.
My research is focused on developing a biobehavioral understanding of the underpinnings of alcohol, tobacco (nicotine) and marijuana use, in adolescent and adult populations, and developing new pharmacological and behavioral interventions to reduce and prevent use of these substances. My more recent work has focused on developing scientific evidence to support national and international tobacco regulatory efforts.
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Morean, M., Camenga, D., Cavallo, D.A. & Kong, G. E-cigarette use among high school and middle school adolescents in Connecticut. Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 2015. 1:1-9
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Cavallo, D.A., Cooney, J.L., Schepis, T.S., Kong, G., Liss, T.B., Liss, A.K., McMahon, T.J., Nich, C., Babuscio, T., Rounsaville, B., & Carroll, K.M. An exploratory randomized controlled trial of a novel high-school-based smoking cessation intervention for adolescent smokers using abstinence-contingent incentives and cognitive behavioral therapy. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2013, 132: 346-351
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Co-author, “Health consequences of tobacco use by young people" 2010 Surgeon General’s Report “Preventing Tobacco Use Among Young People”.
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Krystal, J.H., Shi, J., Pittman, B., O’Malley, S.S. (2007) Family history of alcoholism influences naltrexone-induced reduction in alcohol drinking. Biological Psychiatry. 62: 694-7.
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Reynolds, B., Duhig, A.M., Smith, A., Liss, T., McFetridge, A., Cavallo, D.A., Carroll, K.M., Potenza, M. (2007) Behavioral impulsivity predicts treatment outcome in a smoking cessation program for adolescent smokers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 88:79-82.
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Duhig, A., McKee, S., McMahon, T.J., Liss, T., McFetridge, A., Cavallo, D.A. Contingency Management for Smoking Cessation in Adolescent Smokers. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2006. 14(3):306-10.