HIV; Microbiology; Veterans; Point-of-Care Systems
My scholarly interests lie in the areas of clinical microbiology, especially point-of-care testing; and medical education.
Emerging technology has enormously expanded the array of tests available at the point of care, e.g. ‘bedside testing,’ in recent years; currently over 40 analytes and over 300 kits and instruments are available as ‘waived’ tests, which can be performed with minimal regulation. These and a number of more-complex tests are all performed at the ‘point-of-care’. New methods for testing for pathogens such as HIV have had a major impact on screening and diagnosis of infectious diseases, but the impact of these tests on health and on the logistics and economics of health care remains unclear in many cases. Emerging technologies for simplifying and automating technologies such as molecular diagnostics, DNA arrays, and mass-spectroscopic methods are likely to cause continued growth in the range and complexity of tests performed outside of traditional laboratory settings. There is a continuing need for research and standards development in this rapidly-advancing area of diagnostic medicine.
In medical education, my work has focused on bringing active learning strategies into the basic science classroom, including microbial songs. I’ve also been active in developing guidelines for resident education in clinical pathology.
Specialized Terms: Clinical microbiology; Point-of-care testing; Medical education; HIV and mycobacterial diagnosis
Salmonella typhimurium pulmonary infection in an immunocompetent patient
Salmonella typhimurium pulmonary infection in an immunocompetent patient. Genzen JR, Towle DM, Kravetz JD, Campbell SM. Conn Med. 2008 Mar;72(3):139-42. Review;
Resident training in point-of-care testing.
Resident training in point-of-care testing. Campbell S, Howanitz PJ. Clin Lab Med. 2007 Jun;27(2):397-410; abstract viii. Review.
- Infection and Host Response Campbell SM and Oethinger MD (2009) ‘Infection and Host Response’ in Coleman WB and Tsongalis GJ (eds) Molecular Pathology, The Molecular Basis of Human Disease. Elsevier, 41-61.
- Human Immunodeficiency Viruses Griffith, BP, Campbell S and Mayo, DR (2007) ‘Human Immunodeficiency Viruses’ in Murray PR et al (eds) Manual of Clinical Microbiology, 9th Edition, ASM Press, 1308-1329.
- Infectious Disease. Chapter 8 Campbell S, Campos J, Hall GS, LeBar WD, Greene W, Roush D, Rudrick JT, Russell B, Sautter R. (2006) ‘Infectious Disease. Chapter 8’, in Nichols JH (editor) Evidence Based Practice for Point-of-Care Testing: A National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry Laboratory Medicine Practice Guideline. Washington DC. AACC Press, 76-87.
- Point-of-Care immunodeficiency Virus Testing Campbell SM and Fedoriw Y (2009) Point-of-Care immunodeficiency Virus Testing. Point of Care: The Journal of Near-Patient Testing & Technology. 8(1): 32-35.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Burnham CD, Kwon JH, Burd EM, Campbell S, Iwen PC, Miller MB: Are We There Yet? Laboratory Preparedness for Emerging Infectious Diseases. Clin Chem. 2017 Apr; 2017 Jan 23. PMID: 28115392
- Hauser RG, Campbell SM, Brandt CA, Wang S: Cost-Effectiveness Study of Criteria to Screen Herpes Simplex PCR Tests from Cerebrospinal Fluid. J Clin Microbiol. 2017 Mar 15; 2017 Mar 15. PMID: 28298450
- Green DA, Hitoaliaj L, Kotansky B, Campbell SM, Peaper DR: Clinical Utility of On-Demand Multiplex Respiratory Pathogen Testing among Adult Outpatients. J Clin Microbiol. 2016 Dec; 2016 Sep 21. PMID: 27654334
- Dubov A, Appleton JH, Campbell S: Ebola Virus Preparedness: Emerging Viruses and Ethics in Laboratory Medicine. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26910222
- Canterino J, Paniz-Mondolfi A, Brown-Elliott BA, Vientos W, Vasireddy R, Wallace RJ Jr, Campbell S: Nocardia thailandica Pulmonary Nocardiosis in a Post-Solid Organ Transplant Patient. J Clin Microbiol. 2015 Nov; 2015 Aug 19. PMID: 26292312
- Paniz-Mondolfi A, Ladutko L, Brown-Elliott BA, Vasireddy R, Vasireddy S, Wallace RJ Jr, Jakubiec W, Brecher S, Campbell S: First report of Mycobacterium canariasense catheter-related bacteremia in the Americas. J Clin Microbiol. 2014 Jun; 2014 Apr 16. PMID: 24740075
- Campbell S: Commentary. Clin Chem. 2013 Sep. PMID: 23986506
- Federman DG, Kravetz JD, Vasquez LS, Campbell SM: Improving human immunodeficiency virus testing rates with an electronic clinical reminder. Am J Med. 2012 Mar. PMID: 22340918
- Fink SL, Martinello RA, Campbell SM, Murray TS: Low prevalence of heterogeneous vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus isolates among Connecticut veterans. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012 Jan; 2011 Nov 7. PMID: 22064529
- Smith BR, Aguero-Rosenfeld M, Anastasi J, Baron B, Berg A, Bock JL, Campbell S, Crookston KP, Fitzgerald R, Fung M, Haspel R, Howe JG, Jhang J, Kamoun M, Koethe S, Krasowski MD, Landry ML, Marques MB, Rinder HM, Roberts W, Schreiber WE, Spitalnik SL, Tormey CA, Wolf P, Wu YY, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists.: Educating medical students in laboratory medicine: a proposed curriculum. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010 Apr. PMID: 20231605
- Campbell S, Fedoriw Y: HIV testing near the patient: changing the face of HIV testing. Clin Lab Med. 2009 Sep. PMID: 19840682
- Genzen JR, Towle DM, Kravetz JD, Campbell SM: Salmonella typhimurium pulmonary infection in an immunocompetent patient. Conn Med. 2008 Mar. PMID: 18426179
- Campbell S, Howanitz PJ: Resident training in point-of-care testing. Clin Lab Med. 2007 Jun. PMID: 17556092
- Campbell S, Klein R: Home testing to detect human immunodeficiency virus: boon or bane? J Clin Microbiol. 2006 Oct. PMID: 17021069
- Klein RD, Campbell S: Health care fraud and abuse laws. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006 Aug. PMID: 16879018
- Smith BR, Wells A, Alexander CB, Bovill E, Campbell S, Dasgupta A, Fung M, Haller B, Howe JG, Parvin C, Peerschke E, Rinder H, Spitalnik S, Weiss R, Wener M, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists.: Curriculum content and evaluation of resident competency in clinical pathology (laboratory medicine): a proposal. Hum Pathol. 2006 Aug; 2006 Jul 3. PMID: 16867855
- Smith BR, Wells A, Alexander CB, Bovill E, Campbell S, Dasgupta A, Fung M, Haller B, Howe JG, Parvin C, Peerschke E, Rinder H, Spitalnik S, Weiss R, Wener M, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists.: Curriculum content and evaluation of resident competency in clinical pathology (laboratory medicine): a proposal. Am J Clin Pathol. 2006 Jun. PMID: 16830955
- Smith BR, Wells A, Alexander CB, Bovill E, Campbell S, Dasgupta A, Fung M, Haller B, Howe JG, Parvin C, Peerschke E, Rinder H, Spitalnik S, Weiss R, Wener M: Curriculum content and evaluation of resident competency in clinical pathology (laboratory medicine): a proposal. Clin Chem. 2006 Jun; 2006 Mar 28. PMID: 16569705