Anesthesia; Extracorporeal Circulation; Cardiac Surgical Procedures; Hypertension; Outcome and Process Assessment (Health Care)
Public Health Interests
Epidemiology Methods; Health promotion-disease prevention; Health Services Research; Heart Disease; Quality of care
Dr. Schonberger has a research interest in developing new anesthesia healthcare delivery models that aim to improve care coordination on the day of surgery with the aim to facilitate longitudinal cardiovascular risk-factor recognition and treatment in patients presenting for anesthesia.
He is also involved in several projects associated with perioperative care of the cardiothoracic surgery patient including the development of novel extracorporeal oxygenation techniques as well as other interventions to improve the safety and outcomes associated with surgeries involving patients with cardiac disease.
Extensive Research Description
Integrating perioperative care into the treatment of hypertension.
Novel therapies to reduce and treat gaseous microemboli.
Pharmacology and physiology of extra corporeal support.
- Gipson KE, Rosinski DJ, Schonberger RB, Kubera C, Matthew ES, Nichols F, Dyckman W, Courtin F, Sherburne B, Bordey AF, Gross JB, Elimination of Gaseous Microemboli from Cardiopulmonary Bypass using Hypobaric Oxygenation, Annals of Thoracic Surgery (2014 M
- Safavi K, Dai F, Gilbertsen T, Schonberger RB, Variation in surgical quality measure adherence within hospital referral regions: Do publicly reported surgical quality measures distinguish among hospitals that patients are likely to compare?, Health Servic
- Schonberger RB, Burg MM, Holt NF, Lukens CL, Dai F, Brandt C. The relationship between day-of-surgery and primary care blood pressure among Veterans presenting from home for surgery. Is there evidence for anesthesiologist-initiated blood pressure referra
- Schonberger RB, Burg M, Feinleib J, Dai F, Holt NF, Brandt C. Atenolol Is Associated with Lower Day of Surgery Heart Rate as Compared to Long and Short-acting Metoprolol. Journal of Cardiothoracic & Vascular Anesthesia In Press.
- Schonberger RB, Feinleib J, Lukens CL, Turkoglu OD, Haspel K, Burg M. Beta-blocker withdrawal among patients presenting for surgery from home. Journal of Cardiothoracic & Vascular Anesthesia 2012.
- Schonberger RB, Haddadin AS. The anesthesia patient with acute coronary syndrome. Anesthesiology Clinics 2010;28:55-66.
- Schonberger RB, Rosenbaum SH. Not much novel under the sun. Science 2009;326:1480-1.
- Schonberger RB, Rosenbaum SH. Ethical Considerations. In: Ruskin KJ, Rosenbaum SH, eds. Anesthesia Emergencies. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2011:77-84.
- Schonberger RB, Rosenbaum SH. Brain Death. In: Norman GAV, ed. Clinical Ethics in Anesthesiology: A Case-Based Textbook. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2011:108-13.