Cardiology; Cardiovascular Diseases; England; Myocardial Infarction; Rwanda; Sweden; Global Health; Electronic Health Records
My research has centered on evaluating the use of evidence-based medicine on the diagnosis and management of patients with cardiovascular disease. I have sought to identify areas in clinical medicine with significant variation in care, use various methodologies to obtain and analyze the different strategies and outcomes, and provide a sound base of evidence on which to recommend clinical decisions. The methodologies include primary data collection, secondary data analysis, synthesis of results of various studies into clinically useful forms such as meta-analyses and cost-effectiveness analysis, qualitative studies, establishing clinical practice guidelines and data standards, and promoting quality assurance and improvement.
Specialized Terms: Cardiovascular outcomes; International comparisons; Large registries; Global health;
Extensive Research Description
Current projects include evaluating differences in the treatment and outcome of patients with myocardial infarction among the US, the UK, and Sweden, designing ways to evaluate hospital performance in treating patients with acute myocardial infarction through use of the electronic health record, and establishing quality performance standards for noninvasive cardiac imaging.
- Development of a Hospital Outcome Measure Intended for Use With Electronic Health Records: 30-Day Risk-standardized Mortality After Acute Myocardial Infarction. McNamara RL, Wang Y, Partovian C, Montague J, Mody P, Eddy E, Krumholz HK, Bernheim SM. Development of a Hospital Outcome Measure Intended for Use With Electronic Health Records: 30-Day Risk-standardized Mortality After Acute Myocardial Infarction. Medical Care 2015; 53(9):818-826
- Standardized Outcome Measurement for Patients with Coronary Artery Disease: Consensus from the International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement (ICHOM). McNamara RL, Spatz ES , Kelley TA, Stowell C, Beltrame J, Heidenreich P, Gaju RT, Jernberg T, Jin TCS, Morgan L, Panigrahi B, Ruiz AR, Rumsfeld J, Sadwin L, Schoeberl M, Shahian D, Weston C, Yeh R, Lewin J. Standardized Outcome Measurement for Patients with Coronary Artery Disease: Consensus from the International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement (ICHOM). J Am Heart Assoc. 2015 May 19;4(5) DOI 10.1161/JAHA.115.001767
- McNamara RL, Chung S, Jernberg T, Holmes D, Roe M, Timmis A, James S, Deanfield J, Fonorow G, Peterson E, Jeppsson A, Hemmingway H. International comparisons of the management of patients with non-ST segment elevation acute myocardial infarction in the United Kingdom, Sweden, and the United States: The MINAP/NICOR, SWEDEHEART/RIKS-HIA, and ACTION Registry-GWTG/NCDR registries. Int J Cardiology. 2014; 175 (2):240-247
- McNamara RL. Cardiovascular registry research comes of age. Heart 2010:96:908-910
- Estes NA 3rd, Halperin JL, Calkins H, Ezekowitz MD, Gitman P, Go AS, McNamara RL, Messer JV, Ritchie JL, Romeo SJ, Waldo AL, Wyse DG. ACC/AHA/Physician Consortium 2008 clinical performance measures for adults with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Performance Measures and the Physician Consortium for Performance Improvement (Writing Committee to Develop Clinical Performance Measures for Atrial Fibrillation): developed in collaboration with the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation 2008 117(8):1101-20. J Am Coll of Cardiol 2008 51(8):865-84.
- McNamara RL, Herrin J, Wang Y, Curtis J, Bradley EH, Magid DJ, Rathore S, Nallamothu BK, Peterson E, Blaney M, Frederick P, Krumholz HM. Impact of Delay in Door-to-Needle Time on Mortality in Patients with ST-Segment Myocardial Infarction. Am J of Cardiol 2007 Oct 15100(8):1227-32.
- McNamara RL, Herrin J, Bradley EH, Portnay EL, Curtis J, Wang Y, Magid D, Blaney M, Krumholz HM. Hospital Improvement in Time to Reperfusion in Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction, 1999-2002. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47:45-47.
- Douglas P, Iskandrian AE, Krumholz HM, Gillam L, Hendel R Jollis J, Peterson E, Chen J, Masoudi F, Mohler E, McNamara RL, Patel M, Spertus J. Achieving Quality in Cardiovascular Imaging: Proceedings From the American College of Cardiology–Duke University Medical Center Think Tank on Quality in Cardiovascular Imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 48 2141-2151
- Strategies for reducing the door-to-balloon time in acute myocardial infarction. Bradley EH, Herrin J, Wang Y, Barton BA, Webster TR, Mattera JA, Roumanis SA, Curtis JP, Nallamathou BK, Magid DJ, McNamara RL, Parkosewich J, Loeb JM, Krumholz HM. Strategies for reducing the door-to-balloon time in acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med. 2006 Nov 30;355(22):2308-20.