Richard A Marottoli MD, MPH
Professor of Medicine (Geriatrics)
At-risk older drivers; Driving cessation
Dr. Richard Marottoli's research interests include the approaches clinicians can use to identify at-risk older drivers, interventions to lessen risk, and the factors contributing to, and the consequences of, driving cessation. Dr. Marottoli is a past–chairperson of the Committee on the Safe Mobility of Older Persons of the National Research Council’s Transportation Research Board.
- Satariano W, Guralnik J, Jackson R, Marottoli RA, Phelan E, Prohaska TR. Mobility and Aging: New Directions for Public Health Action. Am J Public Health. 2012; 102:1508-15
- Marottoli RA. Coughlin JF. Walking the Tightrope: Developing a Systems Approach to Balance Safety and Mobility for an Aging Society. J Aging Social Policy. 2011;23:372-83
- Vaz Fragoso CA, Araujo KLB, Van Ness PH, Marottoli RA. Sleep disturbances and adverse driving events in a predominantly male cohort of active older drivers. J Am Geriatric Soc. 2010; 58:1878-84.
- Vaz Fragoso CA, Araujo KLB, Van Ness PHm Marottoli RA. Prevalence of Sleep Disturbances in a Cohort of Older Drivers. J Gerontol Med Sci. 715-23, 2008.
- Marottoli RA, Van Ness PH, Araujo KLB, Iannone LP, Acampora D, Charpentier P, Peduzzi P. A Randomized Trial of an Education Program to Enhance Older Driver Performance. J Gerontol: Med Sci. 62A:1113-9, 2007.
- Marottoli RA, Allore H, Araujo KLB, Iannone LP, Acampora D, Gottschalk M, Charpentier P, Kasl S, Peduzzi P. A Randomized Trial of a Physical Conditioning Program to Enhance the Driving Performance of Older Persons. J Gen Intern Med. 22:590-7, 2007.
- Peduzzi P, Guo Z, Marottoli RA, Gil TM, Araujo K, Allore HG, Improved Self-confidence Was a Mechanizm of Action in Two Geriatric Trials Evaluating Patient Interventions. J. Clin Epidwmiol. 60:94-102, 2007.
- Marottoli RA. de Leon CFM. Glass TA. Williams CS. Cooney LM Jr. Berkman LF. Consequences of driving cessation: decreased out–of–home activity levels. Journals of Gerontology Series B–Psychological Sciences & Social Sciences. 55(6):S334–40, 2000.