Psychiatry; Research Design; Models, Statistical; Risk Assessment
Public Health Interests
Biostatistics; Data analysis; Epidemiology Methods; Maternal & child health; Mental Health; Risk assessment; Statistical models; Substance abuse
Professor Gueorguieva's interests are in development and application of statistical methods for the analysis of data from clinical trials and epidemiological studies. She is working on models for repeatedly measured observations, survival outcomes and risk assessment. Her main collaborations are in the area of psychiatry and clinical neuroscience.
Extensive Research DescriptionDr. Gueorguieva's research interests are in methodological development of models for longitudinal data and outcomes of different types, assessment of risk and the application of innovative statistical approaches for the analyses of clinical trials data. She has developed statistical techniques for simultaneous analysis of repeatedly measured categorical and continuous outcomes, has developed risk assessment screening algorithms and has applied trajectory-based approaches to the assessment of treatment effects. Dr. Gueorguieva is collaborating extensively with psychiatric researchers on clinical trials and observational studies in alcoholism, substance abuse, depression and anxiety disorders, women's behavioral health, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder. She advocates the use of modern statistical methods such as mixed and mixture models, tree-based methods and nonparametric alternatives to address the complexity of psychiatric data.
- Predictors and Moderators of Response to Treatments for Alcohol Dependence
- Growth Mixture Modeling of Longitudinal Data
- Joint Analysis of Repeatedly Measured Outcome and Interval-Censored Competing Risks
- Center for the Translational Neuroscience of Alcoholism
- Genetic Influences on Functional Connectivity in Bipolar Disorder
- Stress, Neurodevelopment and the Emergence of Addictive Behaviors in Adolescence
- Behavioral Drug and HIV Risk Reduction Counseling
- Efficacy and Tolerability of Riluzole in Treatment Resistant Depression
- Alcohol Use in College Students: Cognition and fMRI
- Varenicline Treatment in Alcohol Dependent Smokers
- Naltrexone for Heavy Drinking in Young Adults
- Treatment of Obesity and Binge Eating: Behavior Weight Loss vs. Stepped Care
- Gueorguieva R, Rosenheck R, Lin H. (2012). “Joint modelling of longitudinal outcome and interval-censored competing risk dropout in a schizophrenia clinical trial.” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A 175(2):417-433. [PMCID: PMC3315284].
- Gueorguieva R, Mallinckrodt C, Krystal J. (2011). “Trajectories of depression severity in clinical trials of duloxetine: insights into placebo and antidepressant responses.” Archives of General Psychiatry 68: 1227-1237. [PMCID: PMC3339151].
- Gueorguieva R, Wu R, Donovan D, Rounsaville B, Couper D, Krystal J, O’Malley S (2010). “Naltrexone and Combined Behavioral Intervention Effects on Trajectories of Drinking in the COMBINE study.” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 107: 221-229. [PMCID: PMC2821955
- Gueorguieva R, Rosenheck R, Zelterman D. (2008) “Dirichlet component regression and application to psychiatric data.” Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 52(12), 5344-5355. [PMCID: PMC3207324].
- Gueorguieva, R.V. and Sanacora, G. (2006). Joint Analysis of Repeatedly Observed Continuous and Ordinal Measures of Disease Severity. Statistics in Medicine 25(8): 1307-1322.
- Gueorguieva, R.V. and Krystal, J. Move Over ANOVA: Progress in Analyzing Repeated Measures Data and Its Reflection in Papers Published in the Archives of General Psychiatry. Archives of General Psychiatry 61: 310-317, 2004.
- Gueorguieva, R.V. and Agresti, A. Correlated Probit Model for Joint Modeling of Clustered Binary and Continuous Response. Journal of the American Statistical Association 96: 1102-1112, 2001.