Asthma; Asthma, Exercise-Induced; Curriculum; Respiratory Physiological Phenomena; Public Health Practice
I am interested in the mechanism for exercise-induced asthma. I am studying the lack of recognition of exercise-induced asthma in athletic organizations and trying to determine the reasons from both an organizational and athlete standpoint. I am also interested in the impact of asthma on athletes, particularly as it relates to their self-image.
Extensive Research Description
My past experience includes assessment of pulmonary vasoreactivity and effect of cytokines on nitric oxide synthase.
More recent research focuses on the pathophysiology of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction with an emphasis on pulmonary mechanics.
In addition, I have an interest in exercise induced asthma in competitive athletes. Specifically, I am evaluating adherence to national asthma guidelines in athletic organizations. I am also assessing sociologic reasons for nonadherence in athletes.
- Adherence to asthma guidelines in competitive and recreational sports organizations
- Asthma attitudes and knowledge of athletes, parents and coaches
- Weiss, P. and Rundell,K. Exercise-induced Lung Disease: Too Much of a Good Thing?. Pediatric Allergy, Immunology, and Pulmonology 2011;24(3):149-157.
- Weiss, P. Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction in Children and Adolescents. J. Asthma Allergy Educators 2011; 2(5): 246-252.
- Weiss, P. ”Pulmonary Physiology” In: Light M, ed. Pediatr Pulmonol. Elk Grove Village: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2011:15-43.
- Weiss, P., Bazzy-Asaad, A., and Tolomeo, C. Lack of Identification of Asthmatic Players in a Youth Soccer League. J. Asthma Allergy Educators. 1(3) 2010.
- Weiss, P. and Rundell, K. Imitators of Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction. Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology. 5(7), 2009
- Weiss, Oyekan, A.O., McGiff, J.C., Rosenkranz Weiss, P. and Quilley, J. Relaxant responses of rabbit aorta: influence of cytochrome P450 inhibitors.. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Therap. 268(1):262-269. 1994.
- Weiss, Rosenkranz, P.G., Tomek, R.J., Mathew, J. and Eghbali, M.. Gender-specific differences in expression of mRNAs for functional and structural proteins in rat ventricular myocardium.. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 26:261-270. 1994.