Peter Herman MD, PhD
Associate Research Scientist in Diagnostic Radiology
fMRI; BOLD; local field potentials; multi unit activity; Laser-Doppler; optical imaging; laser speckle
My research interest based on the description of blood circulation and energy utilization in the brain. We describe the circulatory changes in the actively working and resting brain. For this purpose we use non-invasive (not harmful) or minimally
invasive techniques, such as the magnetic resonance imaging or blood
flow measurement with laser light. Additionally we measure the unique electrical activities of the brain cells. We study how the blood and oxygen supply are connected to the actual demand of the brain. We do our work on deeply sleeping white laboratory rats.
- Herman P, Sanganahalli BG, Hyder F, Eke A. (2011) Fractal analysis of spontaneous fluctuations of the BOLD signal in rat brain. Neuroimage. 58:1060-1069.
- Herman P, Sanganahalli BG, Blumenfeld H, Hyder F. (2009) Cerebral oxygen demand for short-lived and steady-state events. J Neurochem. 109:73-79.
- Sanganahalli BG, Herman P, Blumenfeld H, Hyder F. (2009) Oxidative neuroenergetics in event-related paradigms. J Neurosci. 29(6):1707-1718.
- Sanganahalli BG, Herman P, Hyder F.(2008) Frequency-dependent tactile responses in rat brain measured by functional MRI. NMR Biomed. 21(4):410-416.
- Maandag NJ, Coman D, Sanganahalli BG, Herman P, Smith AJ, Blumenfeld H, Shulman RG, Hyder F.(2007) Energetics of neuronal signaling and fMRI activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 104(51):20546-20551.
- Kocsis L, Herman P, Eke A. (2006) Mathematical model for the estimation of hemodynamic and oxygenation variables by tissue spectroscopy. J Theor Biol. 241(2):262-275.
- Herman P, Eke A. (2006) Nonlinear analysis of blood cell flux fluctuations in the rat brain cortex during stepwise hypotension challenge. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 26(9):1189-1197.
- Eke A, Herman P, Hajnal M. (2006) Fractal and noisy CBV dynamics in humans: influence of age and gender. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 26(7):891-898.