Ned L Cooney PhD
Associate Professor of Psychiatry
Ned L. Cooney, Ph.D., has been engaged in addiction research supported by NIH over the past 25 years. His studies have included clinical trials of behavioral interventions for addictive disorders and studies of the process of relapse after addiction treatment. His methodological expertise includes controlled clinical trials, laboratory studies of stress and cue reactivity, and real-time data capture methodology. His current research focus is on alcohol and tobacco interactions in the treatment of alcohol dependent smokers.
Dr. Cooney is also director of the mental health and substance abuse programs at the Newington Campus of VA Connecticut Healthcare System. He provides patient care services and supervised clinical training in the substance abuse outpatient clinic and the primary mental health care clinic.
Education & Training
- State University of New York at Stony Brook (1977)
- Rutgers University (1980)
- Rutgers University (1981)
- NIAAA Research Fellow
- University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Alcohol Research Center (1981 - 1983)
- Center for Scientific Reviewers (1/1/2010 - 12/31/2012)
- (01/01/2008 - 12/31/2013)
- Member, NIH (01/01/2006 - 12/31/2008)
- (01/01/2003 - 12/31/2013)