Narendra Wajapeyee PhD
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Genetic and epigenetic mechanisms of cancer initiation and progression
Cancer is a complex disease and typically involves multiple gene-specific and global genetic and epigenetic changes in human genome. The major class of genes that has been causally linked to the process of tumorigensis is tumor suppressors, which acts as a “breaks” and oncogenes, which functions as “accelerators” and typically promotes cancer. Recently, non-coding RNAs such as miRNAs and long non-coding RNAs are also linked to cancer wherein they can either promote or inhibit cancer cell growth. The focus of our lab is to understand the mechanisms of genetic and epigenetic regulation of cancer initiation and progression and translating this understanding for early detection and treatment of human cancers. We use melanoma, pancreatic cancer, lung cancer and hepatocellular carcinoma as model systems to study mechanism of tumor initiation and progression.
- Romi Gupta, Yuying Dong, Peter D. Solomon, Hiromi I Wettersten, Christopher Cheng, Jin-Na Min, Jeremy D. Henson, Shaillay K. Dogra, Sung H. Hwang, Bruce D. Hammock, Lihua J. Zhu, Roger R. Reddel, W. Mark Saltzman, Robert H. Weiss, Sandy Chang, Michael R. Green and Narendra Wajapeyee. Synergistic tumor suppression by combined inhibition of telomerase and CDKN1A. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, June 27, 2014 (in press).
- Matteo Forloni, Shaillay Kumar Dogra, Yuying Dong, Darryl Conte Jr, Jianhong Ou, Lihua Julie Zhu, April Deng, Meera Mahalingam, Michael R. Green and Narendra Wajapeyee. miR-146a promotes the initiation and progression of melanoma by activating Notch signaling. Elife, Feb 18; 3:e01460.2014
- Narendra Wajapeyee*, Sunil K. Malonia, Rajendra K. Palakurthy, and Michael R. Green*. Oncogenic RAS directs silencing of tumor suppressor genes through ordered recruitment of transcriptional repressors. Genes and Development Oct 15; 27(20):2221-6, 2013. * Joint-corresponding authors
- Rajendra K. Palakurthy#, Narendra Wajapeyee#, Manas Kumar Santra, Ling Lin, Stephane Gobeil, Claude Gazin, and Michael R. Green. Epigenetic Silencing of RASSF1A tumor suppressor Genethrough HOXB3-Mediated Induction of DNMT3B Expression. Molecular Cell (Oct 23, 2009). # Co-first author
- Manas K. Santra#, Narendra Wajapeyee# and Michael R. Green. F-Box Protein FBXO31 Mediates Cyclin D1 Degradation to Induce G1 Arrest Following DNA Damage. Nature, 4th June, 2009.459: 722-5.# Co-first author
- Narendra Wajapeyee, Ryan Serra, XiaChun Zhu, Meera Mahalingam and Michael R Green. Oncogenic BRAF induces Senesences through an Autocrine/Paracrine pathway by the Secreted Protein IGFBP7. Cell , 8th Feb 2008. 132; 363-74
- Claude Gazin#, Narendra Wajapeyee#, Stephan Gobeil, Amy Virbasius and Michael R Green. An Elaborate Pathway Required for Ras-Mediated Epigenetic Silencing. Nature 25th October, 2007. 449; 1073-7. # Co-first author