Mohsen Karimi, MD
Associate Chief, Pediatric Cardiac Surgery; Associate Chief of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, Northeast Pediatric Specialties, Inc. Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital & Connecticut Children's Medical Center
improved surgical techniques, including lower need for heart medications, shorter ventilator support, lower complication rate, and much shorter length of stay in the hospital; blood conservation measures to improve outcomes in pediatric cardiac operations; blood conservation in cardiac surgery; limited or no-blood transfusion during cardiac surgery.
Dr. Karimi’s clinical research interests include the development of improved surgical techniques and blood conservation measures to improve outcomes in pediatric cardiac operations. He has been practicing blood conservation cardiac surgery in children for the last 5 years, having sophisticated heart-lung bypass support and equipment which allows for limited or no blood transfusion during cardiac surgery. He has demonstrated that patients requiring less or no blood transfusion have lower need for heart medications, shorter ventilator support, lower complication rate, and much shorter length of stay in the hospital.
- 1. Mohsen Karimi, MD, Ivan Florentino-Pineda, MD, Ted Weatherred, MD, Ahsan Qadeer, MD, Carol Ann Rosenberg, CCP, Andrea Hudacko, CCP, Duchwan Ryu, PhD. Blood Conservation Surgery in Pediatric Cardiac Patients: A paradigm Shift to Blood Use. (Accepted to the ATS 09/2012)
- 2. Mohsen Karimi, MD, Alysha Jaffer, PA, Mac Vining, MD, Rod Pellenberg, MD, Ryan Jajosky, MD. Papillary Fibroelastoma of Tricuspid Valve in a Pediatric Patient. (Accepted to ATS 10/2012).
- 3. Mohsen Karimi, MD, Carol Ann Rosenberg, BA, CCP, William Lutin, MD. Surgical Management of Modified Damus-Kaye-Stansel after Fontan Operation. Cardiology in the Young. Oct. 2012.
- 4. Mohsen Karimi, MD, Elise Hulsebus, PA, Henry Wiles, MD. A case of Complete Repair of Atrioventricular Canal with Cor Triatriatum & Straddling Chordae. World Journal for Pediatric & Congenital Heart Surgery. October 2012;3(4):515-517.
- 5. Mohsen Karimi, MD, Elise Hulsebus, PA, William Lutin, MD. Reimplantation of Anomalous Single Coronary Artery from Pulmonary Artery: Diagnosis & Surgical Management. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. Jan 2012;93(1):308-310.
- 6. Mohsen Karimi, MD, Elise Hulsebus, PA, Henry Wiles, MD, Kenneth Murdison, MD. A Case of Hybrid Closure of a Muscular Ventricular Septal Defect: Anatomical Complexity & Surgical Management. Cardiology in the Young. June 2012;22(3):356-9.
- 7. Karimi M, Murdison K, Blackwood W, Davis W. Reimplantation of anomalous right coronary artery from left main coronary artery: a surgical option. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010 April 4(10):642-644.
- 8. Montgomery J, Henderson M, Ostrowsky J, Karimi M, Hennein H. Repair of Ventricular Aneurysm after Stage I Modified Sano-Norwood Procedure. Critical Nurse Care. April 2010;30(2):54-9.
- 9. Mohsen Karimi, MD, Ahmed Farouk, MD, Alex Golden, MD, Robert Gilkeson, MD. Hybrid Palliation of Interrupted Aortic Arch in a High Risk Neonate. Annals of Pediatric Cardiology.2010:Vol3(1):74-76.
- 10. Farouk A, Zahka K, Siwik E, Golden A, Karimi M, Uddin M, Hennein HA. Anomalous origin of the left coronary artery from the right pulmonary artery. J Card Surg. 2009 Jan-Feb;24(1):49-54.